Tow Vehicle?? What do you tow your Kubota with??

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Thanks for the numbers Aquaforce. I've never really talked to anyone about how the Chevy trucks do on fuel. 17 doesn't sound bad on a truck like yours. My brother had a 02 Dodge 4x4 king cab 6 speed with 4:10 gears that got 27 mpg on the highway. I was amazed with how that truck did. Wish my Ford got that kind of milage.

Those are some nice mods on your truck. I bet it will look even better with the bigger wheels. On a side note that pic from the rear reminded me of a little fat bottom girl I used to know for some reason. LOL
My fat bottom truck lol. I call it the "Rock Max" :D
I have heard of these on programmers doing 21 -23 on highway. If I can get to 20 I will be tickled..

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Aquaforce all those purdy mods to the rig she sure is sum kinda purdy and nice. Its a shame to see a real truck go to waste and never see a hard days work. Kinda like a really big Cadillac with an 8ft trunk.

It is all dressed up to look good while it works and be practical for all my uses. 18,000 lbs is working pretty good, like pulling a Formula 382. Like this http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/formula_382_sr_1-o44984-en.html I'm pumping it up to handle up to 23,000 lbs like a Formula 400SS. Or like this http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/2000_formula_400_ss-o42483-en.html That is working in style and looking sharp at the boat ramp.:D:D

Last edited:

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
You're more then likely want to check into a Banks Power pack and add an exhause break to the system as well.

http://www.bankspower.com/

And I heard somewhere along the way you want to put 19.5 rims on the rig with an 8to10 bolt wheel adaptors then you should take a peek here.

http://www.arrowcraft.com/index.php

Yes your right on par with my plans.
Banks is exactly right but the wheels will be 19.5 with no adapters. American Force builds 19.5 wheels for 8 lug direct bolt on with no adapters needed.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Okdokie now you have peaked my intrest. Do tell more about the American Force wheels that you speak of or kindly post a link!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Disreguard that, with a little help from Google I found their website. Nice looking wheels and shiney chrome they have. I dont have an extra 3500 bucks laying around to dump into my truck like that.

I'm not 100% sure what I would have to do to take my single rear end truck and make it a dually. Don't know if I need spacers or just knock out the factory studs, pound in longer studs for a dually and go by some bud wheels.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I just got back to this.

American Force: http://www.americanforcewheels.com/index.php?route=wheel/dually&ws=19.5x6.75 has been making these wheels for over 7 years and so has another company Rickson Wheel: http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/
I am partial to American Force since they have a little higher rating on their best wheel.

The main reason some change wheels is cosmetic reasons but others change for chassis rating. These stock 16" steel wheels on my truck are only in the 2,700 lb load range and to go with the American Force 19.5 wheels I will be at 4,000lb rating. That is the stiffness and load I need to have my truck meet and exceed the 2012 model.

On your SRW if you are after load ratings there are offerings in the industry of larger wheels to increase ratings there too. If dually conversion is an interest the studs might be the only change but it is possible that those 3/4 ton studs are long enough for steel duals. Rickson mfg is the one to get with on a conversion project. They build wheels to any offset and position that a person needs based on their chassis. They do this everyday for the RV industry so they are probably the best source for a custom build for converting. The main thing I like about both wheel companies is they make a direct bolt on without any adapters. Alcoa will void all warranties if their wheels are run with adapters and I agree with their position on that.

Oh, P.S. larger does not always provide better load ratings in a wheel. Some large wheels are made only for cosmetics and the load rating of the wheel is purely stock. The larger wheels that are made for heavier ratings are only known by looking at the wheel mfg load rating.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm looking to make my truck a dually for a number of reason. First and formost better handeling and sway control, less likely to have a tire blow out and yes to dress the truck up a bit and make it look bigger. And as the Arrow Craft website points out for their conversion doing so WILL NOT increase the GVWR of your ride.

I'd love to go with a set of 19.5 steel wheel rims because around here the potholes on the highways will and has trashed aluminium, unless you have a meaty tire underneath. The other bigger problem is finding fenders for an 88 Chevy!

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
I'm looking to make my truck a dually for a number of reason. First and formost better handeling and sway control, less likely to have a tire blow out and yes to dress the truck up a bit and make it look bigger. And as the Arrow Craft website points out for their conversion doing so WILL NOT increase the GVWR of your ride.

I'd love to go with a set of 19.5 steel wheel rims because around here the potholes on the highways will and has trashed aluminium, unless you have a meaty tire underneath. The other bigger problem is finding fenders for an 88 Chevy!

GVWR increase should never be attempted with adapters in my book either but where the springs and chassis are good for more but the wheels/tires are the restriction, such as in my case, the wheel/tire change can be effective for a GVWR increase. I have solid enough suspension plus my air bag stability will let me handle more but the wheel/tire rating limitation is not good for it.

I understand the pot hole reality. Growing up in the midwest winters and pot hole riddled roads I had to get out a ladder a few times to climb out of a pot hole. LOL :eek: :eek: :eek:
One thing about the aluminum wheels made for these conversions is that they are forged so there is not going to be any aluminum damage from the road unless the tire gives way. On a 19.5 tire rated at 4,500 lbs that doesn't happen much.
Corrosion is another problem though. Alcoa told me about thin plastic discs that are bolted between the steel and aluminum wheels, on duals that are in the salt, to prevent corrosion and electrolysis between the dissimilar metals. That is another deterent to the aluminum but with the forged materials they use the aluminum is definately not a weak point. Plus the ratings of the aluminum are higher than steel. Steel bends easier than forged aluminum which is a problem on my truck too. Three of the steel wheels were bent when I got the truck already so they had to go anyway. I am just biding my time to get up the money for the change out.

The wheel skirts are not too much of a prob for your project. There are after market skirts that are not bad on the pocket and some cool fabbed one that can be welded on and painted too. The new Ford dually skirts look just like an RV added on skirt; lame to me. :( I liked the earlier look of the full flare on the Fords better than what they did in 2012. If I were a Ford guy I would change out my bed for the better looking stuff.

I know what you mean on the stiffer handling. I really like the stiff flat handling of my truck. It is especially rigid since I have the 5K lb Firestone air bags too. :D

Three sites I use are stylin trucks, truck accessories, and 4wheel trucks for shopping. If you google custom truck parts there are many more to see. The prices are not bad compared to finding something in a bone yard that has to be worked at more cost.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hey Eric, have you considered replacing the axle in your truck with a dually axle? Look on www.car-parts.com- with just a quick look, I found a 3:73 ratio 14 bolt dually axle for $495, in VA. I'm sure you can swap an axle out cheaper than converting the one you have.

You don't want to just add longer studs and get dually rims, especially if you haul heavy. On a regular dually, you have inner lugnuts that hold the inside tire on, then outer lugnuts. That way, if you lose the outside wheel, the inside stays on. Replacing the axle shafts with the proper axle/dually hub is the right way to do it, or swap your SRW for a dually axle.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Mark its scarey to think how well you can read my brain. It has crossed my mind several times. Currently I have a friend of mine who hauls junk cars for a living and he has a late 70's model Chevy dually that used to have a wrecker body on it. I can get the whole truck for 500 which is really tempting cause it comes with a 4 speed manual. I'd ideally like to have a dually axel with 4:10 or 5:13 gears in the rear and a manual tranny.
But at the rate I'm going I'd be better of just spending 10k and buy the truck I want already built!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Mark its scarey to think how well you can read my brain. It has crossed my mind several times. Currently I have a friend of mine who hauls junk cars for a living and he has a late 70's model Chevy dually that used to have a wrecker body on it. I can get the whole truck for 500 which is really tempting cause it comes with a 4 speed manual. I'd ideally like to have a dually axel with 4:10 or 5:13 gears in the rear and a manual tranny.
But at the rate I'm going I'd be better of just spending 10k and buy the truck I want already built!
That wouldn't be as fun!
With that 4 speed (which should be a NP435, or maybe a T-18 or 19? Granny low first and reverse?), you wouldn't need 5:13's. With a 1:1 ratio in 4th, you'd never get on interstate with 5:13's! I had a 51 Willys with 5:38's and the standard 3 speed, where 3rd is 1:1, and I would have to freewheel down Pikes Peak to hit 50.
You could salvage the transmission and rear end, and probably still get $300-$400 in scrap metal. Sounds like a deal to me!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm really trying to squeeze chick salad out of chicken shit, to much stuff I'd like to do with the truck to make it more suitable for me but its going to be an expense and a hassle to do everything I want to do.

aquaforce

Equipment
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Well that is about what it is with my truck too but the final product is nice and it is still cheaper than new.