Time

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
66575949-0148-4745-AD86-29F27447772C.jpeg

Those of you who have read many of my posts may have noticed several mentions of my father. He and I lived about 100 yards apart on “family land” for the past 25 years. As long as I’ve known him he had a 2N/8N/9N junkyard combination Ford and Farmall H with a trip bucket loader. As he got older, he couldn’t keep up the land like he wanted but routinely refused to allow me to do anything beyond my yard as he would “get to it” and I always respected that.

Things started to change after my mother passed about 8 years ago. He had a hunting buddy that had a Ford Workmaster that was big enough to do the requisite bush hogging Dad’s Ford just didn’t have the grunt to do and stable enough to get to the rough areas too steep for the H. Dad stored and maintained the Workmaster but was never allowed to drive it. He also stored about half a tractor trailer load of other crap for hunting buddy. Over time, I noticed Dad was no longer doing what he wanted but hunting buddy was running his life. He had open access to Dad’s buildings and his two houses as well as his computer. I finally figured out the leverage was hunting buddy had the equipment and physical ability to maintain the land whereas Dad had neither.

That’s where the Kubota came to join the family. I called Dad one day and told him I was buying a tractor and had a deal for him. If he would allow me to use his existing 3 point implements without asking and allow me to store it at the unoccupied house, I’d give him a key and he could use my tractor and implements whenever he wanted without asking. If I couldn’t use his implements, he couldn’t use my tractor. He asked me what I was getting. Told him and he looked it up online at which point he quickly agreed I could use his implements whenever I wanted. I don’t know when I’ve seen him as happy as the day the delivered the L and got his own key. He’d had tractors his whole life but was always running underpowered antiques that really weren’t up to the jobs he had. The L is a very basic machine but it was basically his dream tractor. Hunting buddy wasn’t allowed to touch the Kubota and was royally pissed. I didn’t want to replace hunting buddy as the guy with the leverage which is why I gave Dad his own key.

Dad drive the Kubota a total of one time. He played with the grapple wrangling a wind felled eastern red cedar out of a field.
Shortly after he got sick and eventually recovered enough to come home for about a year but never to the point he was comfortable sitting way up high on a tractor.

Dad passed away this morning. He told me recently he had no regrets and nothing left unfinished. I told him anyone that can say that had a damn good life. He agreed. He had enough money to buy a stable of machines from trackhoes to cabbed M’s if he wanted but he wouldn’t allow himself the “luxury” of getting the right tools for changing job requirements. It’s admirable he wanted to leave something for my brother and me but neither of us really needed anything monetary from him.

Not that anyone needs reminding but a couple of things. Don’t take for granted the time you have with those around you. If the people around you really love you, they want you to take care of yourself and get some enjoyment out of life even if it does slightly reduce their inheritance.

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 33 users

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Sorry to hear. I enjoyed reading your post and seeing the pictures of Dad out and about.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
What a wonderful write up honoring your father. Thanks for the great reminder to cherish every moment with our parents while they are here.

Sounds like your father raised a wonderful son who was able to bless him in the end. May all the great memories help relieve the sadness of the moment.

Reactions: 2 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Sorry for your loss, glad you got a picture of him doing what he loved on his dream machine. May he RIP

Take care NCL..

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Great tribute.
I am sorry for your loss.
Having lost 3 close family members in less than 12 months, I feel your pain.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
View attachment 83027
Those of you who have read many of my posts may have noticed several mentions of my father. He and I lived about 100 yards apart on “family land” for the past 25 years. As long as I’ve known him he had a 2N/8N/9N junkyard combination Ford and Farmall H with a trip bucket loader. As he got older, he couldn’t keep up the land like he wanted but routinely refused to allow me to do anything beyond my yard as he would “get to it” and I always respected that.

Things started to change after my mother passed about 8 years ago. He had a hunting buddy that had a Ford Workmaster that was big enough to do the requisite bush hogging Dad’s Ford just didn’t have the grunt to do and stable enough to get to the rough areas too steep for the H. Dad stored and maintained the Workmaster but was never allowed to drive it. He also stored about half a tractor trailer load of other crap for hunting buddy. Over time, I noticed Dad was no longer doing what he wanted but hunting buddy was running his life. He had open access to Dad’s buildings and his two houses as well as his computer. I finally figured out the leverage was hunting buddy had the equipment and physical ability to maintain the land whereas Dad had neither.

That’s where the Kubota came to join the family. I called Dad one day and told him I was buying a tractor and had a deal for him. If he would allow me to use his existing 3 point implements without asking and allow me to store it at the unoccupied house, I’d give him a key and he could use my tractor and implements whenever he wanted without asking. If I couldn’t use his implements, he couldn’t use my tractor. He asked me what I was getting. Told him and he looked it up online at which point he quickly agreed I could use his implements whenever I wanted. I don’t know when I’ve seen him as happy as the day the delivered the L and got his own key. He’d had tractors his whole life but was always running underpowered antiques that really weren’t up to the jobs he had. The L is a very basic machine but it was basically his dream tractor. Hunting buddy wasn’t allowed to touch the Kubota and was royally pissed. I didn’t want to replace hunting buddy as the guy with the leverage which is why I gave Dad his own key.

Dad drive the Kubota a total of one time. He played with the grapple wrangling a wind felled eastern red cedar out of a field.
Shortly after he got sick and eventually recovered enough to come home for about a year but never to the point he was comfortable sitting way up high on a tractor.

Dad passed away this morning. He told me recently he had no regrets and nothing left unfinished. I told him anyone that can say that had a damn good life. He agreed. He had enough money to buy a stable of machines from trackhoes to cabbed M’s if he wanted but he wouldn’t allow himself the “luxury” of getting the right tools for changing job requirements. It’s admirable he wanted to leave something for my brother and me but neither of us really needed anything monetary from him.

Not that anyone needs reminding but a couple of things. Don’t take for granted the time you have with those around you. If the people around you really love you, they want you to take care of yourself and get some enjoyment out of life even if it does slightly reduce their inheritance.
I am sorry to hear….You have my deepest sympathy. Based on the content of your posts and the story above, I can only assume you had a great dad and he passed the character on to you. My dad passed at the beginning of June of this year…it was not easy. I hope you will Remember all the good things he taught and did for you and your family…I am sure he was proud of you and you of him. Have a blessed evening. Best regards.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Great tribute, and wonderful advice. That picture should be part of Kubotas, or some farming business advertising campalign! 👍👍

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
NCL4701, I admire your father's character demonstrated by him "putting up" with his friend who was taking advantage of him, and also being frugal to help others. I offer my condolences. If I were you I believe I'd change my moniker and have that picture there to remind me constantly! Thanks for sharing.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
NCL, it sounds like your dad is the kind of person we'd all love to have for a neighbor. So sorry to hear of his passing.
One doesn't realize how big their shoes are and how hard they're going to be to fill until after they've passed away. And even though you might not see him anymore....he'll always be with you. My dad passed away more than 10 yrs ago and I still feel his presence, ask him for advice, or hear his laugh when I know he's watching my screw ups!!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Sorry for your loss. Very well written story and tribute to your father.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I offer my condolences. Thank you for sharing your sorrow but also for sharing your joy. I have been on your end, but now find myself nearing the other end with my Son and Grandsons. It is certain but only He knows.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Great tribute. So sorry for your loss.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Sorry for your loss. I lost my mother last year and it’s hard.

Drifthopper

Equipment
2000 L3710 HST w/ Woods 1012 FEL. LandPride FDR2572, 60" Brush Hog: Need 60" BB
Apr 22, 2022
Western New York
Sorry for your loss.
Yesterday, it's been a year since my dad pasted away .
Mom & I went to the cemetery then got a pizza from dad's favorite pizza place .
He was a similar man as yours, struggled with the 9N , and then with a China Jimna .
I sold his boat, his snowmobile and his old '99 Dodge pick up.
Mom let me put that money toward the L3710, he would'a liked it.