The Olympics

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
We look forward to watching the Olympics, both Summer and Winter.

The Wife and I were volunteer workers at the 1996 Summer Games in Atlanta.
IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

We certainly were not competitors but wearing our uniforms and doing our assigned jobs was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity/experience. We had an opportunity to work the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah, but reluctantly declined.

Anyway, we enjoy watching the athletics put their hearts into the various competitions. Go USA !!!

Reactions: 6 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Our twin daughters were Division 1 athletes in Track and Field. Out of school 7 years now.

They enjoy the summer games because some of their teams and competitors have made the Olympic games. Some for USA, and some other countries they hail from. Mom and dad know some of them as well.

Kinda cool when you see a Jamaican sprinter on TV and say I know that person!

Reactions: 1 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
One of the US ice dance team members (top ranking) Madison Hubbell started skating at the local rink in Lansing with her brother. Then was coached at the Detroit Skating Club. Nice gal, would always speak to adult hopeless skaters. Her brother also very kind. He stopped competing and began coaching, and the last time I remember seeing him he was doing an ice dance test with a 4 year old, he is 6 some odd feet tall, you can imagine him bent over.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I just noticed the Olympics were on. I haven't watched an event yet.

Too bad that such a bad country got the Olympics, but as the friend of someone who didn't get to go when we boycotted, I'm glad we didn't boycott.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I just noticed the Olympics were on. I haven't watched an event yet.

Too bad that such a bad country got the Olympics, but as the friend of someone who didn't get to go when we boycotted, I'm glad we didn't boycott.
Yes mens’ singles right now. Best time to learn the difference between axel and axle :)

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Don’t watch, but while my wife was going to school we had the opportunity to help out with Special Olympics (and other similar events).

Blessed to be a part of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
We look forward to watching the Olympics, both Summer and Winter.

The Wife and I were volunteer workers at the 1996 Summer Games in Atlanta.
View attachment 74435

View attachment 74436

We certainly were not competitors but wearing our uniforms and doing our assigned jobs was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity/experience. We had an opportunity to work the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah, but reluctantly declined.

Anyway, we enjoy watching the athletics put their hearts into the various competitions. Go USA !!!
That's cool, very cool!!! Go Canada and USA. ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I gave up watching them several years ago after it morphed where most (?) are paid professionals,cheating with drugs and shall we say 'questionable' scoring in 'subjective' events.
Always wondered about the long jump skier seen in the intro to Wide World of Sports though.

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
Generally I love the games, but I'll be sitting this Olympics out. The host country is in the middle of a genocide, and very plausibly released a pandemic on the world. If not intentionally, then by neglect. In addition the games have become a woke speaking platform for consumer goods and shoe companies that benefit from China's totalitarian labor methods. I surely support the athletes, but they have been warned to bring burner phones and not say anything about the regime! How much more of this should we take in the spirit of "global harmony?" I wont miss an evening of the 2026 games in Italy.

Reactions: 12 users

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
Borane hit the nail on the head. I won’t say anymore or this could get political real quick

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Interesting article that I read about the Covid jails/hotels for the athletes that test positive. Not a fun place to be with horrible food from the descriptions and isolation.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Our Olympic Athletes have worked their hearts out in training while looking forward to be able to compete. I will support them as individuals and teams as they endure whatever is dished out in order for them to represent the USA.

Those individuals have no control over the worldwide political theater that we are all being subjected to but I will not abandon their efforts and not support them for something that neither they nor I can control.

Lets keep this topic non-political and open in the spirit that it was intended.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I agree that our athletes should be able to compete. Just a shame where it happens to be this time. My high school track coach missed his best chance to medal as a 3 time Olympian when Carter boycotted.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Just a shame where it happens to be this time.
I agree that the location is unfortunate this year but countries bid many years in advance to be able to host the games and the bidding is very competitive. I'll just leave it at that.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sorry I wont watch any of it,,, purely political reasons

Reactions: 2 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
We have been watching and enjoying every night but it's mostly just a fascination for us since we have never been around any Winter activities or snow.

Shaun White was the only name that I knew and I was disappointed that he goes home empty handed. He had a good run since 2006 but Mother Nature, Father Time, plus the younger bucks took him out of the competition.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I will not watch the games this year. I will not be responsible for supporting a totalitarian government and the media that covers it.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Lets keep this topic non-political and open in the spirit that it was intended.
This topic was started with the request to keep it non-political. Watching or not watching is an individual decision and I respect yours.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We have been watching and enjoying every night but it's mostly just a fascination for us since we have never been around any Winter activities or snow.

Shaun White was the only name that I knew and I was disappointed that he goes home empty handed. He had a good run since 2006 but Mother Nature, Father Time, plus the younger bucks took him out of the competition.
I always like watching the tricks. Could care less about the rest. But watching what the snowboarders and skiers can do off those jumps is amazing.

Gymnastics and diving were favorites as well for the same reasons.

I would love to do a bobsled or luge run down the mountain. That looks like so much fun. 👍👍👍👍👍