The first b5100 Delorean

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You are welcome and just ask if you want to see something else on the tractor.

I looked around on my tractor and didn’t see anything like that bracket on it. I also didn’t see anything like that anywhere that a spring was attached

Reactions: 1 user

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Think I found that bracket on the drawing. There is still paint on one side as if it was bolted to something so went around the tractor till I matched the square shape and hole centres. Anyone have ideas what it's for? 37 says hook spring on parts manual.

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Think I found that bracket on the drawing. There is still paint on one side as if it was bolted to something so went around the tractor till I matched the square shape and hole centres. Anyone have ideas what it's for? 37 says hook spring on parts manual.
Looks like you get to make the other half now! LoL

i would say it bolts to the steering box holes and maybe ties the hood down (assuming the hood hinges at the front).

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
After discovering the unsolved part was for tying down the bonnet I had to remake it the correct shape. I had to make 2 X tensioner bolts for the brakes. The left hand tap arrived today so I got going and made them out of a galvanized bolts. Not sure how they look but they will be out of the way underneath and shouldn't rust.

Attachments

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
I'm going to have to order brake pads and the few springs I'm short for pedals and throttle lever. I nearly collapsed when I saw the Kubota dealer prices for the brake shoes over €600😔.

Luckily I found a spurious company www.tracpartz.com should have them delivered for under 100. Anyone use them before? Said I'd ask here before pressing purchase.
The springs seem only available from messicks anyone have any other recommendations where to get them?

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
IMG_20230324_095225.jpg
IMG_20230324_095212.jpg

Did a little more today. Foot pedal creation. I'll have to fit again and see how it all lines up. Need to get a look at the linkage and see how the spring attached to this foot pedal.

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The spring on my tractor is a torsional spring that uses the pedal rod as centee point and clips to the pedal rod and then to the static floor plate.

I think you could use a normal spring and have a tab on the rod and then another one on the floor plate to pull it back into the idle position. Don’t make it too hard to push down or you might regret it.

looks good but you might want to chamfer the top edge of the button plate so you don’t catch the edge on your boot sole. The one on my tractor is something like a mushroom cap rounded off

Last edited:

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Thanks Russell. I ordered a few parts today and included the original accelerater spring so I'll try use that on mine. Must refit it to the tractor and see how things are lining up next.

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Did another bit today. Got delivery of a few parts today. Springs and hydraulic pipe. Found out that the new accelerator should have been made out of 8mm round bar not 10mm...so the new return spring won't fit. I'll turn down the piece that the spring rides on in a few days.

Attachments

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Sorry about this guy's but can anyone tell me how the brake springs attach from the body of the tractor to the brake bar . The parts diagram doesn't show it. Spring is Part 7 on the drawing .
Screenshot_2023-03-28-23-38-30-863_com.google.android.apps.pdfviewer.jpg

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Look back at post 238 and 239. The last picture in 238 is from below the tractor looking up at the floor board. The spring attachment on the pedal is a rod with a stopper cap. Then the picture in 239 shows the spring attachment at the rear under the floor board. I think it is small tab with a hole for the spring hook to attach through. They are all done the same way.

And I found these that show the springs for the dual brake pedal
AEFB0374-89CD-4C0F-A807-88D76825BFD1.jpeg

C946A0FB-E18C-4AAA-BFFE-67F8491A5209.jpeg

this is how the springs are mounted at the rear under the floor board

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Thanks Russell. I was looking at your photos and it seems my tractor is on a different arrangement. Yours is much more robust. I don't have those tabs on the pedals. Instead I have an eyelet on the brake bar instead that is located back towards the rear mud guard . I think the spring is to be attached to the body back there

Attachments

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Took this from my B6100 thread so ignore the arrow, but you can see how the diff lock and right side brake return springs are mounted on a b6100/7100 from this:

1680708373435.png

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Thanks Vigo, I checked that and it seems the b6100 has a different arrangement. I don't seem to have that hole for the spring to sit in.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Gotcha. I like the 6100 setup better than the one posted earlier under the pedal/floorboard area, and given that the 6100 is a later product it's probably because Kubota thought it was better, too. :)

If you're willing to deviate from factory here (no deviations on this tractor, no sir! lol) all it takes to implement this design is drill bits, washers, and a welder. You can get drum brake hardware kits for like $8 that will have a small assortment of very strong springs in a similar size range, and then set your actual distances of your end points based on whatever springs you end up with.

Example

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Great idea...I think I'll have to do something like that. I've new brakes shoes fitted so I must connect on the brake rods and see where is close to attach the springs then.
Gotcha. I like the 6100 setup better than the one posted earlier under the pedal/floorboard area, and given that the 6100 is a later product it's probably because Kubota thought it was better, too. :)

If you're willing to deviate from factory here (no deviations on this tractor, no sir! lol) all it takes to implement this design is drill bits, washers, and a welder. You can get drum brake hardware kits for like $8 that will have a small assortment of very strong springs in a similar size range, and then set your actual distances of your end points based on whatever springs you end up with.

Example

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Bart's sent me on some pics of his B5100. It's slightly different to mine but I think I have enough info to get it together. Just ordered 3 new brake springs and a second hand oil inlet pipe as it's now a discontinued part.

Attachments