The first b5100 Delorean

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
My poor kubota has sat on a wet damp west cork Island in Ireland for 25 years before my uncle handed me the keys.There is not much left that hasnt rotted passed repair,but I am going to ensure it never rusts again.Where I can I'm going to replace parts with stainless steel.Why? ...I dont know, sentimental value maybe..I learned to drive on it a long time ago.
My aim is to do it thru innovation and as little monetary investment as possible,over this side of the water parts are hard to come by and very expensive when you can get them.......I dont know will this thing even start, saying that Ive been hooked on this little tractor so I know I'll get there!!!!.Progress is slow but here are a few pics so far.Ive managed to make new mud guards,new battery diesel tank holder and rebuilt part of the radiator fan cover all in shiny 316L.
Now I'm not ruling out painting it orange when all the stainless relacement is done but not till the very end.Wish me luck.
ps.Thank god there is a website like this,without the support and knowledge shared here I bet a lot of kubota's would have been laid to rest.Keep up the good work guys.:D

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Not sure will it work, but this is my attempt of a new seat.I found it in a skip.It was one of those telescoping self raising office seats.I chopped the shaft on that and fabbed a bracket to take this and to bolt onto the tractor.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Looks like we have another expert fabricator in our midst fella's!!!
Stainless even. I never was any good with stainless.

Oh and welcome!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Are you sure this tractor wasn't recovered from the Titanic? :eek:
That is one rusty tractor, and that hood certainly wasn't original. Nice fab work, can't wait to see it finished.

gurn

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 15, 2011
Nashville,Tn
Great work so far. Looks like we have a stainless steal artist here. Are you going to copy the hood or create your own design?

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Wow you're good! I've always like the idea of a Delorean better than the execution. It was never going to rust away but the motor was an expensive paper weight and the handling was mediocre. I've only seen the US version though. I applaud your efforts and it looks like that tractor is in dire need of it!

You must have some neat toys too, show us the workshop! What do you weld with? I've got a little air cooled Miller TIG that I pretend to know how to use some days.

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Thanks guys,yeah its in pretty bad shape alright.But when you get those encouraging comments it helps to knuckle down and do some more.I started this project last october,having never restored anything before I have been tackling the small bits to redo first.My confidence and will to get this thing done has been growing after each little milestone.I Keep telling myself its like eating an elephant,1 bite at a time.The gear I have is :a good size anvil,vice,air cooled tig welder ESS 211ATG,set of oxy/acetylene bottles and I have the ocassional use of my mates lathe.
As for the hood I'm not really sure what way to go,I was toying with the idea of modernizing it with newer looking headlights and whatever else goes comes to mind,but the easier option is to follow the poor copy I have and try make it better.What do ye think??

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
As for the hood, if it was me I would build a grill shell I liked first. Then it would be much easier to go from grill to dash and then build side panels. you could make the hood hinge at the top of the grill shell or at the bottom as factory does. its up to you. when building a custom anything nothing is wrong, unless it doesnt function when its suppose to. Your the designer, make it the way it makes you happy. I think you have some great skills, keep up the good work-just keep us posted on progress.

Last edited:

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
About 7 man hours so far ,really hard to see where all the time went ,drilling that stainless is a real pain....waiting on getting to a lathe to make bushings.Ill have to tack it all together in situ cos this baby is going to warp and pull with all the heat.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Thanks for that website Carl,I'll definitely have a look at it later tonight,s/steel not that cheap but I do pick up alot of offcuts in the steel merchants that have a nice discount and the fact i'm making the parts myself I can justify the costs.My poor kubota is stored outside so this is another reason I have gone for 316L.I am learning quite a bit about the tractor, but I am struggling for the parts that are missing off the tractor that i cant use as a pattern.I have a kubota parts manual but the spec on most of the parts are a kubota reference no real detail ie bearing numbers,sizes or what the battery spec should be,but I guess thats the challenge.

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Air filter housing...Missing the end cover and intake cap to begin with so I used my imagination as to how it should look.Can anyone tell me is there a gauze in the intake cover or is it just a cover to stop rain and dirt landing in.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Ive just got some plate for the hood and am looking at making my own exhaust muffler any tips or hints very welcome,without either of the originals to follow its going to be a suck it and see approach..

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I must say john I am suitably impressed

Reactions: 1 user