That is one mean cock.... A doodle... do

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Never understood people who were afraid of roosters/ geese/ etc. I'm not afraid of anything that I can punt across the yard with force.
At 5 years old, I could not "punt" much of anything "across the yard with force".
That rooster of ours was a big scary MF!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a funny joke but no matter how I word it, it's not PG... bummer.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have a funny joke but no matter how I word it, it's not PG... bummer.
Considering the way parents let kids dress, talk, reassign and defile themselves….honestly I really want to hear a ‘not’ PG joke…because how messed up is the joke then if it’s ‘not’ PG.😉

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Surprised no one thought to apply a tourniquet to the fella...with that much bleeding.

Clearly he had been spurred in an artery or major vein. A good sized Rooster will have spurs over an inch long. And anywhere on your body that I can take a 'pulse' can easily be punctured by a rooster's spurs.

When I was in college (many moons ago) I rented a little two bedroom cabin from my Aunt. It sat on 50 acres just outside the city limits of Austin, TX. It had a horse barn and Bull Creek running just 40 yds behind the cabin. Very peaceful and secluded.

I had about a dozen Production Red 'Laying Hens' and one Silver Spangled Hamburg Rooster. I had built a nice coop for the chickens with nesting boxes. They were allowed to roam free in the day...but would go to their coop in the evening. Or if they didn't the rooster would put them there.

One morning on a weekend.....I put my dog's food out in his bowl on the raised wooden porch. He started eating his food and I laid back down in the bed. There were big 6' wide sliding glass doors that led out onto the porch from each bedroom. So I could see everything going on if the curtains were pulled back.

Out of nowhere the Rooster jumped up on the porch and spurred my dog in the face. Hit him right below his right eye....which caused him to yelp and back away. Saw the whole thing. The Rooster then started pecking at the food in the dog bowl.

I Immediately grabbed my 45acp off the nightstand and from my bed....rolled that rooster off the porch. Shot right through the screen (glass door pulled back to let the cool morning air in). I was letting my best friend at the time live out there in the spare bedroom. He jumped up and ran into my bedroom wanting know what happened. I told him, he looked at the hole in the screen and laughed.

Amazingly, the rooster (shot dead center through breast and spine) was still alive and flapping on the ground. Had to put another 230 gr. hardball through it.

Rooster could have put my dogs eye out! I raised that dog from a pup and he meant everything to me. I could buy another rooster chick for 25 cents.

That has been close to 50 years ago now....and whenever I'm in Austin visiting family and friends Ronnie always brings that up.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Surprised no one thought to apply a tourniquet to the fella...with that much bleeding.

Clearly he had been spurred in an artery or major vein. A good sized Rooster will have spurs over an inch long. And anywhere on your body that I can take a 'pulse' can easily be punctured by a rooster's spurs.

When I was in college (many moons ago) I rented a little two bedroom cabin from my Aunt. It sat on 50 acres just outside the city limits of Austin, TX. It had a horse barn and Bull Creek running just 40 yds behind the cabin. Very peaceful and secluded.

I had about a dozen Production Red 'Laying Hens' and one Silver Spangled Hamburg Rooster. I had built a nice coop for the chickens with nesting boxes. They were allowed to roam free in the day...but would go to their coop in the evening. Or if they didn't the rooster would put them there.

One morning on a weekend.....I put my dog's food out in his bowl on the raised wooden porch. He started eating his food and I laid back down in the bed. There were big 6' wide sliding glass doors that led out onto the porch from each bedroom. So I could see everything going on if the curtains were pulled back.

Out of nowhere the Rooster jumped up on the porch and spurred my dog in the face. Hit him right below his right eye....which caused him to yelp and back away. Saw the whole thing. The Rooster then started pecking at the food in the dog bowl.

I Immediately grabbed my 45acp off the nightstand and from my bed....rolled that rooster off the porch. Shot right through the screen (glass door pulled back to let the cool morning air in). I was letting my best friend at the time live out there in the spare bedroom. He jumped up and ran into my bedroom wanting know what happened. I told him, he looked at the hole in the screen and laughed.

Amazingly, the rooster (shot dead center through breast and spine) was still alive and flapping on the ground. Had to put another 230 gr. hardball through it.

Rooster could have put my dogs eye out! I raised that dog from a pup and he meant everything to me. I could buy another rooster chick for 25 cents.

That has been close to 50 years ago now....and whenever I'm in Austin visiting family and friends Ronnie always brings that up.
LOL…I‘m not into firearms…but don’t think I would have wasted a second cartridge on that guy.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
had one similar. Meanest bird I've ever been around. I didn't go into the pen when it was awake. It hated me but didn't seem to mind the hens. Stupid bird.

it eventually became dinner.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
had one similar. Meanest bird I've ever been around. I didn't go into the pen when it was awake. It hated me but didn't seem to mind the hens. Stupid bird.

it eventually became dinner.
Worked with a guy that was blinded in one eye because of a rooster attack when he was just a child.

I absolutely will not tolerate ANY aggression toward humans or pets by a rooster. Not chasing, not spurring, not buffeting with wings, not even feigning an attack. I will kill it immediately. They are easily replaceable.

Reactions: 1 user

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
Worked with a guy that was blinded in one eye because of a rooster attack when he was just a child.

I absolutely will not tolerate ANY aggression toward humans or pets by a rooster. Not chasing, not spurring, not buffeting with wings, not even feigning an attack. I will kill it immediately. They are easily replaceable.
That's why I keep on the wifes good side:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
Nope. Just talking about the easy replacement of the male gender:D

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
We had free-range ducks when I was a kid. Domestic White Pekings, Muscovies(sp?), along with some domesticated Mallards and Black Ducks.

Drakes were pretty mild-mannered. Nothing like some of the roosters or ganders I'd run across.

Had friend over to do some native brook trout fishing on the farm.

I warned him, but he teased "Elvis," a Mallard drake with one of his nice brookies in his hand....

Elvis snatched that fish so fast and swallowed it....the look on the kid's face was priceless....:oops:

As an aside, duck eggs are very good. Preferred them to chicken eggs when we could get them.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
My sister had a BIG leghorn rooster, that just hated my Ex,,, If he was out when we got to Moms, she would not get out of the truck,, I guess being chased up a cherry tree one time was enough,,,, But strangely enough ,one time we were at the zoo in the winter and the keepers have a BIG KING penguin out for a walk in the snow on a leash,, he/she took off after my Ex yanked the lead out of the keepers hand and chased her around the zoo,,,, them things can move pretty fast

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
kind of a related story and I have to be somewhat careful.

I used to date a girl...total redneck. Thought I wanted to marry her and, well for reasons, didn't. Thank goodness. We are still friends. When I had them chickens (and roosters) she'd help me with them. The roosters didn't mind her too much but they hated me. I don't know why. Maybe a scent thing who knows. But after her and I split up and I found me another one a few hours later, I started learning things. Found out that she and her dad ran a chicken fighting ring.

It's still a thing too. I don't partake but far as I know it's still going on, but I don't think she has anything to do with it. She runs a animal rehab deal now. Has a descented skunk that lives in the house along with a raccoon. That skunk is kinda fun to mess with but the coon is a total jerk.