That is one mean cock.... A doodle... do

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I never thought a cock could kill someone like that. Over the years we have had some mean ones, they didn't last long. If the bird was stupid enough to chase after grandma a second time, it went onto the dinner plate.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That bird would have only attacked once. Then it would have been dinner. 😉😉😉

Reactions: 5 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I never thought a cock could kill someone like that. Over the years we have had some mean ones, they didn't last long. If the bird was stupid enough to chase after grandma a second time, it went onto the dinner plate.

When I was about 5 years old we had a rooster that would attack me.
I was terrified by that thing!

Reactions: 1 user

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I don't even give them the chance for the first attack.

Every couple of years I go looking for cheap or free birds to build up my flock. Lots of people find keeping chickens isn't as fun as they thought it would be. If there's a rooster in the bunch, it does directly into the pot, or compost if it's older. Won't have one of the nasty bastiges on the place.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I've read too much about crazy roosters over the past year. I think some are just never going to be cured based on our experience, and what I've read. Sounds like they waited too late to cull that one. I like chickens, but humans come first. Brahmas are large.

We got one Bantam Easter Egger rooster in our sexed hen chicks last Spring. That guy was pretty crazy after his hormones kicked in. Nope, it wasn't something we did. Our other roosters are fine. I think he was just a bit insane. He's be ok for a few days and then randomly attack one of us. We couldn't in good concience give him to anyone because he was simply unstable. He had to be culled. He was beautiful, but mentally unstable.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don't even give them the chance for the first attack.

Every couple of years I go looking for cheap or free birds to build up my flock. Lots of people find keeping chickens isn't as fun as they thought it would be. If there's a rooster in the bunch, it does directly into the pot, or compost if it's older. Won't have one of the nasty bastiges on the place.
Can't hatch any eggs from your own flock without a "man chicken"!

Last edited:

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Can't hatch any eggs from your own flock without a "man chicken"!
True, but hatching eggs is also more of a PITA than it's worth. I can get 1/2 year old hens from folks freshening their flock for $2 or $3 a bird.

Or at least I could, before the chickenpocalypse.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
True, but hatching eggs is also more of a PITA than it's worth. I can get 1/2 year old hens from folks freshening their flock for $2 or $3 a bird.

Or at least I could, before the chickenpocalypse.
Who gives up 1/2 year old hens?
They should be rapidly approaching prime egg laying time?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I guess i am the only strange one here, but when I saw the thread title I thought maybe it was posted at the wrong web site... :D

And no, I don't frequent such sites...but I imagine they exist...I worked a few decades in steel mills, guess that distorted my perception a bit...LOL

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
Never understood people who were afraid of roosters/ geese/ etc. I'm not afraid of anything that I can punt across the yard with force.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Never understood people who were afraid of roosters/ geese/ etc. I'm not afraid of anything that I can punt across the yard with force.
Did anyone say they were afraid other than the person who was talking about when they were 5? :D

Fwiw, kicking reinforces that you are a threat which encourages them to attack you again. ;)

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
Did anyone say they were afraid other than the person who was talking about when they were 5? :D

Fwiw, kicking reinforces that you are a threat which encourages them to attack you again. ;)
I wasn't referring to you. Just a general statement. Also, after I kick them, they don't attack again. Lol.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Sad story. Hard to believe a chicken could kill a man but I suppose if it hit a large artery…

Somehow reminded me of the cat we took from my son when he said he wasn’t able to keep it. About a week after he moved in I walked by a workbench he was sitting on and he jumped off and just flat out attacked me.

About a month later, was talking to my son about nothing and he asked how it was going with the cat. Told him fine. We were all getting along famously after a short acclimation period. He said he was feeling kind of guilty that he didn’t tell us the final straw with the cat was it had attacked him while he was just sitting at his desk on a conference call for work and in hindsight he should have warned us as he was getting a little concerned it might do the same to Mom. Told him he probably should have told us and asked him if he was only worried about his mother. He said it’s already attacked you hasn’t it. Told him it had. He said well apparently you didn’t kill it so how far did it fly. Told him only about 10’ because the shelves in the middle of the room stopped it. And I like cats and animals in general but I’m not getting my butt kicked by a 10lb house cat under any circumstance.

The cat has never attacked anyone since. Wouldn’t get near me for two weeks. The two years since we’ve been best buds.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I adopted a dog that would routinely chase cats and kill them if he caught them. He tangled with a porcupine once and the porcupine won the battle. The next 2 he lost just like the first time, but both times he killed the porcupines by shaking them. He was a tough dog, but as gentle as could be with humans. My vet told me after the 3rd time of pulling quills that the next time he would put the dog down. I fixed the problem by eliminating the porcupines from around the house. Now that the dogs are all gone, they have come back and there are 10 or 15 on the lawn every evening looking for grubs. If we get another dog then there will have to be a porcupine roundup again.