Thanks NIW

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know we all have the right to choose whether we agree or disagree with advise or suggestions here on OTT. It's one thing to disagree with some or all advise but to ask for it then turn around and disrespect everyone that's trying to help is total BS.

Wolfman, I for one am glad you put the 2501 post to bed. That horse wasn't just dead but the hair had been beaten plum off.

With the exception of a occasional jackass to me this is still the best forum out there. Keep up the good work.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Saw this thread first, so found and read thru the full 12 or so pages. There were really to many things wrong with that thread.
You can only poke a bear so many times with a stick before situation turns bad. Even if your intentions are to knock a snake off the bears shoulder, if the bear can not understand the consequences of the snake you are still poking a bear.
Not trying to lay blame just saying lets try another way next time. Jeff

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Not to pile on here, but I think NIW did the right thing also. It must be the time of the year that brings out the worst of some people. And I agree that OTT is one of the best forums for tractor on the WWW. Keep up the good work NIW!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I also Thank NIW for his helpful attitude and generosity with knowlegeable help.
I read this "Thanks NIW" thread and it caused me to search the thread in question regarding the adjustment-screw and I can see how/where it turned nasty.

I'm the creator and moderator of a discussion Forum similar to this one (but regarding a different type vehicle) and I've been deeply perplexed when I've been attacked by someone whom I'd attempted to assist. It has always surprised me when I discover someone "hates" me ...and all I'd ever believed I'd done to them was to be helpful. :confused:

Anyway... reading the other thread does appear that frustration with being misunderstood appears to have manifested itself the sudden appearance of rude wording (likely in the effort to quickly express that frustration.) It doesn't help when words like "stupid" are used to describe one's opinion of another's perceived obtuseness. I believe that's where it turned abusive. Others then "piled on" when they felt their appreciated-guru (the same guy I also appreciate) appeared to have his advice disregarded.
I've been in the exact same position when I've ticked-off a participant in my-Forum. (In fact, I was trolled on Facebook ...a place I have never even visited...by about a dozen of participants who tried to develop a posse of vigilantes to drum up support to throw me off my own creation. I was informed by one of the other 13K participants who was alarmed by the activity. I was completely unaware of the vehemency of the facebook-vigilantes.) It resulted in serious damage to the discussion/maintenance Forum when another volunteer-moderator took it upon himself to "assuage" the original complainer by deleting over 4,000 posts of the complainant so the complainer could believe he had erased all evidence of previous participation in our Forum. (The actual result was many of the complainer's erased comments had been quoted in other discussions...with the result of still more damage being done to those other threads because the complainer's comments seemed to have no continuity due to the destroyed original comment/threads. The complainers desire to have all his participation destroyed was in reality defeated due to his quoted comments being included in different participant's postings.... so the volunteer-moderator's (incorrect) belief he was saving the Forum from a threatened lawsuit by those 4K deletions... actually kept the departing-complainer's comments alive!)
Example:
Participant One: "How do I fix the broken gismo?"
Complainer's Response: "deleted"
Participant One: "HEY! That's Fantastic! Worked Perfectly! Thanks!"
Subsequent Participant: "What was his fix?"
Fourth/More Participants: "Yeah.. thats my problem too! What was the answer?"
No one knows.

Different Thread:
Participant A: "What kind of sealant should I use on my doo-dad?"
Participant B: "The same thing used in the gizmo thread by Complainer."
Participant A: "huh?"
Participant C: "Yeah..that's what I'd like to know."
Partcipants X, Y and Z: "Me too!"

The result...??... The destruction of hundreds of other discussion topics because those conversations now make no sense due to missing posts! Almost ten years worth of valuable information is now lost forever.
All because of one person's rejection of another's knowlegeable answer to his question.

The internet is rife with behavior like this because we all are capable of unconsciously believing we have anonymity when sitting at our keyboards. We all are guilty of writing something in direct response to a person we've never met when we'd never say the exact same words to their face. To their face, we'd re-word the comment with more genteel language. (Using the word "stuff" instead of "sh*t"... or "silly" instead of "stupid"... in a direct response to someone is a perfect example of how a minor change that does NOT change the actual meaning of the comment can create a huge disaster to the discussion and to permanent feelings toward another.) Let's all try to be nicer to each other, even if we think they're possibly damaging their own equipment.

Yes, THANK YOU, Wolfman! Sincere, appreaciative THANKS.... from someone who has BTDT.... and is still learning How to Do That.

Last edited:

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Some people just want validation, and when they don't get it, they act silly. The internet environment compounds the silliness.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Well said GeoHorn.
I took an Art class at the Community College years ago. In my first class the instructor put a model in the middle of the room surrounded by all of us. At break time I walked around to see how my drawing compared to everybody else’s. Naively I was surprised that no other drawing looked like mine, we were all drawing the same thing. It only took me a second to realize we all had a different perspective. Then it was fun to walk around the room and see what everyone else saw.

Same with the internet here. We all read the same posts and interpret it more or less the same, but.....

As long as we remember most of us are here for the camaraderie and a good laugh now then we can enjoy the ride.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I used to moderate a Yamaha Rhino forum, and was always amazed that some people would register, say Hi, introduce themselves, explain that they were newbies and had newbie type questions. They would ask their questions, and then proceed to argue with the knowledgable folks they asked for advice. I never got that.
So I will echo the others, Thanks Sean! It's a time consuming, often thankless, frustrating job, and it's not like you're sitting around eating bon bons with your feet up all day.:D

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
I used to moderate a Yamaha Rhino forum, and was always amazed that some people would register, say Hi, introduce themselves, explain that they were newbies and had newbie type questions. They would ask their questions, and then proceed to argue with the knowledgable folks they asked for advice. I never got that.
So I will echo the others, Thanks Sean! It's a time consuming, often thankless, frustrating job, and it's not like you're sitting around eating bon bons with your feet up all day.:D
With some people, when they ask a question they don't want an answer, they WANT an argument.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Wow.
NIW, you tried to open his eyes. Sometimes, people can't see what is front of them because of the blade of grass blocking their vision.:cool:
I too, am a mod on another forum and we get guys who ask a question because they want reassurances that they think they already have the answer to. They get very upset when they are not told what they want to hear. What can you do?;)

Engine turns X rpm through gears. Straight math. If you want the output rpm to stay the same, you cannot increase engine rpm. Unless you change internal gear ratios. And are sure the parts can withstand the stress (the fun part).
A tractor is not a hot rod or a motorcycle where the engine is the toy. A tractor is a tool. If the tool is not suited to the job, you get a tool that is.:)

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Wanna turn grown ups into children? Just give them a forum or social media, LOL.

There was a simple solution to his problem. He should have just turned HIS tractor up and worked it for the season. Then report back to us to tell us how it worked out.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks to Everyone for the Comments!

Really, regardless of "good" or "bad" comments, I read them all and take note of them. ;)

Nothing makes my day more than to be able to help someone fix something like I'm standing right there, either helping turn wrenches or smashing it with a hammer whatever it takes! :D

Last edited:

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Wow.
NIW, you tried to open his eyes. Sometimes, people can't see what is front of them because of the blade of grass blocking their vision.:cool:
I too, am a mod on another forum and we get guys who ask a question because they want reassurances that they think they already have the answer to. They get very upset when they are not told what they want to hear. What can you do?;)

Engine turns X rpm through gears. Straight math. If you want the output rpm to stay the same, you cannot increase engine rpm. Unless you change internal gear ratios. And are sure the parts can withstand the stress (the fun part).
A tractor is not a hot rod or a motorcycle where the engine is the toy. A tractor is a tool. If the tool is not suited to the job, you get a tool that is.:)
It’s pretty tame in here, and I’m glad it is, compared TT pro or town square. Lol.

I concur with the statements regarding NIW. I’ve always found his post very knowledgeable. Thank you!

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Yes, locking the thread was the only option at that point.
I think we as a group failed the OP because we told him he could not do it, period. We should have offered all the things that should be considered and checked out before turning the screw. Maybe he would have understood the monumental task this could become. Also, not recognizing that the fact he did not understand basic engine function, much less diesel fuel pump operation. We missed the opportunity to educate and possibly learn something new.
Jeff

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
It’s pretty tame in here, and I’m glad it is, compared TT pro or town square. Lol.

I concur with the statements regarding NIW. I’ve always found his post very knowledgeable. Thank you!
Of all the forums I go to, OTT is the most civilized. Not everyone always agrees but everyone is pretty respectful. I chalk it up to tractor owners being mellow people.

I know nothing about TT ;:cool: