Thank you CA

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I feel many people will lose jobs as companie make ordering on the app mandatory. Labor costs will increase but less employees will be hired or needed.
That will be complicated to parse because of the fact we have (for a several years now) some of the lowest unemployment rates since WW2. Any change in that rate would in all likelihood / statistically be an increase anyway.. Currently we are at 3.9%

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
We have a lot of these folks drifting through life. From U.S. Bureau Of Labor Statistics

Who is not in the labor force?

As mentioned previously, the labor force is made up of the employed and the unemployed. The remainder—those who have no job and are not looking for one—are counted as not in the labor force. Many who are not in the labor force are going to school or are retired. Family responsibilities keep others out of the labor force. Since the mid-1990s, typically fewer than 1 in 10 people not in the labor force reported that they want a job.

A series of questions is asked each month of persons not in the labor force to obtain information about their desire for work, the reasons why they had not looked for work in the last 4 weeks, their prior job search, and their availability for work. These questions include the following (the bolded words are emphasized when read by the interviewers).

1. Do you currently want a job, either full or part time?
  2. What is the main reason you were not looking for work during the last 4 weeks?
  3. Did you look for work at any time during the last 12 months?
  4. Last week, could you have started a job if one had been offered?

These questions form the basis for estimating the number of people who are not in the labor force but who are considered to be marginally attached to the labor force. These are individuals without jobs who are not currently looking for work (and therefore are not counted as unemployed), but who nevertheless have demonstrated some degree of labor force attachment. Specifically, to be counted as marginally attached to the labor force, they must indicate that they currently want a job, have looked for work in the last 12 months (or since they last worked if they worked within the last 12 months), and are available for work. Discouraged workers are a subset of the marginally attached. Discouraged workers report they are not currently looking for work for one of the following types of reasons:

• They believe no job is available to them in their line of work or area.
  • They had previously been unable to find work.
  • They lack the necessary schooling, training, skills, or experience.
  • Employers think they are too young or too old, or
  • They face some other type of discrimination.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
my girlfriend bought up this subject.

"They" wanted $20/hr. And they got it. Those folks that were making $21/hr for doing a skilled trade, are making barely more than someone who's got zero skills. Those skilled workers at that income level are getting duped.

Next issue she bought up. Why? Because Newsom's policy, which is kinda sorta the same (or real similar...) to Obiden's, is failing to the point where the goal was originally to get the budget more balanced, but the policies set forth, did the opposite.

Next, over-regulation is NOT the answer. Many californians (and people all over the USA in general) are finding themselves staying home to eat a LOT more often than going out. It simply costs too much to go out & eat. If you go out to eat every day for lunch and you work a 5 day work week, you spend $200+ (just on the food, not counting fuel usage to get there and back, wear and tear, etc) per month. $200 a month is $2400 a year. And that's cheap in comparison to Kalifornia. It's out of hand, and shows us the downsides of the liberal leadership. Tax and spend.

THe idea of a $20/hr mandate is that if they're making $20 an hour, they can rake in more tax income in at least two ways. Income tax, and sales tax since the cost of the goods and services also increase. So Newsom is using this as a tax increase, but the people who keep voting for him apparently don't see this. A forced tax increase, effectively. I read a statistic about how much more income it will generate and it will barely touch the deficit, yet costs everyone more money. I ain't been around all that much in comparison to some of y'all but I've been watching this trend for over a decade now yet there are still some people out there that keep supporting the same people that force cost increases on them. And they gripe about it, then vote the exact same way-again and again. It begs the question, is the election/voting system rigged as Trump says it is? Is it manipulated? Or are people really that ignorant?

I don't eat out. I buy quite a bit of food at the local farm-to-fork place and cook it myself. I fish a lot, and keep a lot of edible fish (crappie and catfish mostly-and a few trout). Better food, more nutritious, and a lot less expensive. Chili's? Last time I ate there, which was years ago, the waitress was DRUNK and falling over herself. The prevous couple times, the folks in there were all intoxicated, so it looks more like the place is set up for that than it is for dining in. Seems to be the way of local restaurants in general. The city doesn't care either since they rake in up to 30% of the cost of a meal in taxes; depending on what you order. 30%!!

ate at a red lobster I think in 2020? in DFW area. It was the absolute WORST food I've ever eaten. Based on the taste of the food it is almost as if it was pulled out of the dumpster and put in a box. I couldn't eat it. I fed it to the feral cats outside the motel room I was staying at and the cats wouldn't even eat it.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You don't have to worry about Red Lobster any longer. They went from circling the drain to bankruptcy.
Red Lobster officially filed for bankruptcy Monday, after a grim week that saw nearly 100 stores shut down around the country. The restaurant chain has cycled through multiple owners and leadership cabals over the past 10 years, and each of them attempted to stabilize the chain, to no avail. One of these rescue plans was the restaurant’s now-infamous Endless Shrimp promotion—in which, for $20, customers could order an unlimited supply of fried shrimp, shrimp scampi, or “street corn shrimp” to their table. The plan, as far as I can tell, was for guests to fill up on just enough shellfish to preserve Red Lobster’s profit margin. It backfired spectacularly: The restaurant’s clientele scarfed down enough shrimp to accumulate an $11 million operating loss in the fourth quarter of 2023.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
This is an employees description of the downfall.

“You had groups coming in expecting to feed their whole family with one order of endless shrimp,” Josie said. “I would get screamed at.” She already had her share of Cheddar Bay Biscuit battle stories, but the shrimp was something else: “It tops any customer service experience I’ve had. Some people are just a different type of stupid, and they all wander into Red Lobster.”

Steve told me he’s “never been more disrespected in my life” than by the Endless Shrimp patrons. (“My manager got spat in the face,” he added.) Steve also noticed a subtle shift in the makeup of Red Lobster’s dining room, as the older folks who “dressed up and looked nice” for a meal at the restaurant were edged out by a younger, rowdier crowd.