Strange phone number

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Over the last several days there have been a lot of strange numbers pop up on the caller ID. I check them on line and 95% are robo calls the other 5% cannot place a name for a caller I know, so again must a robo call of some kind. They leave no message on the answering machine so I dont know But this one has to be the strangest number so far. Maybe some one can figure it out I'm stumped, V60316491800121 nothing pops up when I search it. SO maybe some else has an idea.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
More and more scam's all the time brother. At least once a month I get an email telling me to go to some web site to collect money that has been sent to me or my banking information has been compromised and that I need to log in or my account will be frozen.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I"ve been getting texts from 410-200-501 through 506 telling me to join the facebood meeting to verify my credentials.....I have no facebook account. Never have.

I've been forwarding the texts to at&t and they've slowed down.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It's time that stern laws be implemented to punish fake-number scammers. Service providers should be required to block such calls.
My money pays for my phone for MY use. Not for a sales-tool for others. :mad:

Skeets, how do you "check them on line and 95% are robo calls "?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You can og here https://www.usphonebook.com/724-565-50
or just type inthe number in google and one will come who called me ,, repost the number and it shows other people that have gotten the same call from that number,, most indicate they are robo calls or politicians recorded message

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
The "spoofed" numbers are hard to deal with. Here they use local are codes and prefixes of active phones.

We had a warning on the local news a couple of weeks ago about answering strange or unknown numbers. Callers from foreign countries call and if you answer, somehow the charges for the call are reversed to you. So if you get a call from the Dominican Republic, you pay for it.

We finally had our landlines removed and only use the cells now. On my cell, I have a free app called HIYA and it blocks the robocallers very effectively. I also use the AT&T Mobile Security App that essentially does the same thing. I get no more than two spam calls a month now and those are spoofed local numbers that HIYA hasn't picked up in their database yet.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Captain, thanks for that. I may try that app. I get lots of calls in broken English or very interesting vernacular saying that the IRS or the Sheriff will be taking me into custody if I don't call back. It's quite funny, but annoying at the same time.

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
We have gotten to the point of not even answering the land line, leave a message! Anyone I want to talk to has my cell and I don't bother answering calls that aren't in my contacts. The landline call volume is absurd I probably get dozens of robo/ telemarketer calls to one actual call.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
We're in the same boat as everyone else: hundreds of robocalls, scam calls, phishing calls, and fishing cals. (calls in which no one is there, they're just trying to see if you will answer, to add your number to a list for all the other calls)
Latest twist we and our inlaws have been seeing is calls from our own number. Not close to our number, but exactly our number.

They say they can't stop this; I say B.S.- we put a man on the moon in the sixties- they could stop this easily if they wanted to.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Last few days I get about 3 calls daily about my apple account has been compromised, and i need to talk to (hit #1) to get help. So yesterday I hit #1 and this fellow with a tough dialect to understand begins a conversation.

I tell him my apple has been compromised and I been directed to talk to him. I asked him how he knew my apple had been compromised. How did it happen? I ask him if he's a doctor. Where are you located? Can I come in soon? He tries to ask me questions but I just keep plowing ahead. When he says something about apple, I tell him I love them and can't believe they have been compromised. I just can't understand it. I've had grapes, bananas, oranges, and never been compromised. What can I do? I just keep talking.....

They hang up on me!!

You have to have fun, and have a sense of humor or you will get sick of these folks.:D:D It's like being invited to a masquerade party. Just put on what your goofy clothes and play the part! Expand you horizons.

Oh, I own nothing apple.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Got rid of the landline when 90% of the calls were from India telling me I had a computer problem. Now with cell do not answer unknown numbers even if local, figure if it is legit they will leave a voicemail. Have gotten a few voicemails saying that the IRS is after me but they have not shown up at the door yet, maybe they are using their GPS which does not work out here. Must be some big bucks pulling the strings or the government would shut this crap down. Humans can take a good thing and really screw it up.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
All we need is bigger "gubmint" to fix the problem. :mad:

About three years ago when these calls first started, I would file an FCC call complaint for each call, sometimes four or five a day. I did it for over a month. Clearly those reports go in a dumpster somewhere while the highly paid FCC people who could resolve this problem do nothing.

I asked a young man who called me to remove me from their call list in accordance with FCC regulations. His response was, "F*@CK YOU! You think we are in the US. We don't have to comply with your laws!"

Why is it when somebody goes nutso, they shoot up their workplace or a school? Why don't they find the nearest robo call center and take out all of our frustrations there?

Just sayin'.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
If you aren't in my mobile's phone book, I don't answer. Period. If it really is someone I need to speak with, they will leave a message and I'll call them back or add their number in if I have to.

Ditched the land line around 5yrs ago. Only ever got calls from telemarketers or pollsters. Don't miss either.

At work when I get solicitations, I ask the person calling if it is a sales call then apologize and tell them I do not take sales calls on that number. Send me an email and I'll get back if I have interest. If they say no and just keep pitching, I ask why would I buy from someone who is a liar. Shuts them up just enough for me to hang up.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I tried that useless 'do not call' thing and I swear they sell the list to the robo callers because I got more calls than ever once I signed up. I tried NoMoRoBo and that only works partially, some calls ring once and are canceled and some ring 3 or 4 times and canceled. On my cell, I can block numbers but they just use a different number with changing one number. One caller I blocked and it still rang thru, I don't know why.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I blocked so many Robo Calls my phone finally said you have reached your limit for blocked calls. I gave up.

sagor

Equipment
BX25, BX2750D, BX2760A, 5' back blade
Jan 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON, Canada
One has to remember that call display numbers can be faked/spoofed by scammers. There is no longer any guarantee that any number on your call display is actually the real number. Phone companies don't want to do anything about verification of source numbers. Call display is now useless....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I tried that useless 'do not call' thing and I swear they sell the list to the robo callers because I got more calls than ever once I signed up. I tried NoMoRoBo and that only works partially, some calls ring once and are canceled and some ring 3 or 4 times and canceled. On my cell, I can block numbers but they just use a different number with changing one number. One caller I blocked and it still rang thru, I don't know why.
I agree. I think the 'do not call' service sells numbers to marketers. We have a landline. we have to, my wife is a township official so we (she) gets a lot of calls. Most times we let the answering machine answer. Robo callers don't want to talk to an answering machine. I very rarely answer any calls on my cell phone, leave a message, I'll call back and my SAT phone never gets Robo calls. Air time on a SAT phone is way too expensive for any marketer to use.