Some of you may remember my Post about my B2601 breaking in half!

Joisey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB
May 31, 2015
Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Some additional info and pictures:

The "spacer", part is sized as shown in the pictures. It is deformed and not symmetrical anymore, it shows wear on all surfaces, it also has the look of a washer that was over tightened and is starting to "pull-in" or is tapered from the id to the od. All pieces were recovered! The thickness is also different across the part, there are sharp edges also. Still have no idea where it's from! Measurements are as it is now, it is not accurate for a new part, just for reference. I will clean my nails later! lol
I'm probably wrong, but your mystery 'washer' looks suspiciously like the precision ground spacer used behind the carrier bearings in a rear axle. It is shown in your Kubota parts schematic next to the carrier bearing and ring gear, but I cannot make out the item number on the schematic. It appears in the #1 jpeg image on post #69, just next to the tapered roller bearing and the ring gear.

If they are anything like automotive units, they come in a variety of thicknesses to allow you to set the proper hypoid gear contact pattern.

Best of luck to you.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Richmond, IN, United States
I'm probably wrong, but your mystery 'washer' looks suspiciously like the precision ground spacer used behind the carrier bearings in a rear axle. It is shown in your Kubota parts schematic next to the carrier bearing and ring gear, but I cannot make out the item number on the schematic. It appears in the #1 jpeg image on post #69, just next to the tapered roller bearing and the ring gear.

If they are anything like automotive units, they come in a variety of thicknesses to allow you to set the proper hypoid gear contact pattern.

Best of luck to you.
If you look back a few posts you will see I located it.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
QUOTE="Joisey, post: 538000, member: 23549"] I put a line pointing to what I believe is your ring. From your jpeg #1 If that isn't it, it is the item to the right of it. [/QUOTE] I located what was broken , it's the side cover from a bearing that failed, I all read hvery the part on the way.
I put a line pointing to what I believe is your ring. From your jpeg #1 If that isn't it, it is the item to the right of it.
PLEASE GO READ STARTING HERE!

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Well, I think I figured out why the bearing failed.

When I put it together after the accident, I didn't know a spacer and shims were required on the other side of the bearing. The shaft may have moved around and over time it stressed the bearing. Torque could have caused the shaft to jump around.

So, I put it mack together with the spacer and shims as required. I replaced the fluid and then I ran the tractor on jacks. Had motion in both forward and reverse. but the fluid is jacked up, Water or something in the system.

Needless to say, I have no idea how water got into the system. I the tractor will hardly move, the bucket will raise and lower but it shakes the whole tractor.

Side note, 3pt hitch works perfectly after replacing the Hyd Control Valve.

Thoughts?

Attachments

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I'm not sure that's water in the fluid. I think it might be air bubbles. Take a sample in a clean glass jar and let it sit for a few hours or overnight. Bubbles will usually merge, float to the top and disappear. Water will separate out and sink to the bottom.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I'm not sure, the one thing I am sure of is, Tractors are like Vets, you don't always see the damage done on the outside, often, you need to invest some quality time looking and fixing what's inside!

I do have Tractor PTSD, never sure when It will strike either. I do know a man it Ky who makes a product called Shoc-Shot. The tractor may meet some before long!

Egressman at Knob Creek Range!
2 of my mostest favorite sounds female drunkin laughter and automatic weapons fire

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Not even for a doorstop!!!!!
Exactly…they are built TOO LIGHTLY for even a doorstop.

After seeing the original pic of the tractor/trailer I remembered that I carried my tractor on my trailer off my property last week for a short job…(pick up a spare 500-gal propane tank)… and it made me wonder if my auto insurance would cover if the trailer left the tow-vehicle and dumped the tractor on the highway.
Answer: Liability- Yes. Damage/Loss: Nope. That would be extra….couple hundred per year.
Homeowners does not cover such things once it leaves the property.
Just FYI.
2CA5366B-1DF5-4128-9F20-105392F2B026.jpeg

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
I'm not sure that's water in the fluid. I think it might be air bubbles. Take a sample in a clean glass jar and let it sit for a few hours or overnight. Bubbles will usually merge, float to the top, and disappear. Water will separate out and sink to the bottom.
I just pulled a sample of the fluid, this is what it looks like after sitting all night. This is from the sumps lowest point, the drain under the rear axel! Now what? If I run it will the air come back?

Attachments

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Probably the air will come back. Air mixed in hydraulic fluid usually means there is a leak in the suction side somewhere. There is a possibility that the air was simply trapped somewhere in the system before the pump (anything after the pump would not be chopped up into froth like that). If you run it and the bubbles start building again, that pretty much confirms there is a suction side leak.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Probably the air will come back. Air mixed in hydraulic fluid usually means there is a leak in the suction side somewhere. There is a possibility that the air was simply trapped somewhere in the system before the pump (anything after the pump would not be chopped up into froth like that). If you run it and the bubbles start building again, that pretty much confirms there is a suction side leak.
Thanks for the information!

To make sure I understand, The suction side is composed of just the items in the picture! The pipe from the sump to the pump and the filter circuit?

As soon as I fired her up, the white liquid returned. I think the rubber hose id the wear link.

Thoughs?

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep check all of the components on the suction side, even a bad filter gasket can cause issues.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
If that line got tweaked in the wreck, it may be cocked over at the filter housing, making the o-ring leak. It didn't get flattened like mine, did it? And that rubber offset and clamps would be prime suspects.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Yep check all of the components on the suction side, even a bad filter gasket can cause issues.
Ok, I checked all that. The problem started before I took it apart!

I changed the filter, I also torqued the suction hose and tightened the clamps on the "S" hose at the pump, and replaced the O ring on the pipe. A new problem now, my PTO is not operating??

I'm lost, if the pump wasn't working I wouldn't see a steady stream of Hyd fluid running through the system correct? I top the top link off and I can see the rear diff and the fluid recycling. It's white as can be.

I also removed the bucket so I could isolate the system from it.

I drove it out of the garage last night, it went 30 yards and slowed down and stopped. I let it sit overnight and then tried it again today. It wouldn't move under its own power. I pushed back in the garage, now what?

Big bonus, the 3pt still works lol!

Attachments

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
There are two separate pumps. One for the hydro (buried inside the transmission) and an external pump for the accessories like 3ph. Both share the same sump. Air introduced by either system will fill the sump with bubbles. The 3ph may rise OK with bubbles in the fluid -- the system just compresses the air. But hydraulic motors really don't like air in the fluid.

Is the fluid level correct? Low fluid will allow air to be sucked in.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
There are two separate pumps. One for the hydro (buried inside the transmission) and an external pump for the accessories like 3ph. Both share the same sump. Air introduced by either system will fill the sump with bubbles. The 3ph may rise OK with bubbles in the fluid -- the system just compresses the air. But hydraulic motors really don't like air in the fluid.

Is the fluid level correct? Low fluid will allow air to be sucked in.
Yes, fluid and filters are new and full.

I was aware of the internal pumps. just don't want to go there.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Can you remove or disable the external pump to isolate the problem?
EDIT-turns out this is a bad idea for this. Don’t try this!

Last edited: