Size doesn't matter? Since when?

bsd

Equipment
L4060HST-LE, IH S300 ('55)
Jan 18, 2022
My wife and I decided to retire to a "hobby" farm, so we bought a 15 acre farm in SE Michigan. I know I'm going to need a tractor, but after spending weeks looking at new and used tractors, as well as watching dozens of youtubes, and reading forum posts, I'm no further along as far as choosing the right size.

Of our 15 acres, 7 acres are presently being leased to a farmer.
In the future, I can't see using that land for much more than pasture, one time seeding.
We intend to buy animals, horses, goats, chickens. We have an old (1850) farm house, a hip roof barn, apx 3000 ft², a Chicken barn, also apx 3000 ft²

Trying to decide which tractor to buy based on chores that I can foresee.

loader and pallet forks to move muck and other stuff from point A to point B.
We have brush that needs to be cleared, and grappling to pick it up and move it.
Snow clearing - we have a stone, gravel driveway, so either a blade or a brush

All of our fencing is rotten and/or missing, so I'm thinking about an auger, definitely rent.
All of our electric from house to barn etc is above ground, I'd love to dig a trench and bury it, trencher, rent.

The driveway stone is periodically restoned and needs to be graded, some blade, maybe same as snow
We have a lot of water coming into our basement(seasonally high water table), so digging a french drain, and/or tile and/or grading earth away from home, digging trenches for tile.

Everyone that I've spoken with thus far, says not to buy a backhoe, but that's the one implement I see needing quite a bit.
I'll be the most popular guy in the neighborhood with a backhoe to loan out :)

Accessories needed
Loader (buy)
Pallet forks (buy)
Bush hog (buy)
Grapples, root rake (buy)
Blade, snow and/or box blade (buy)
Auger (rent)
Trencher (rent)
Backhoe buy or rent
Chipper/Shredder (buy)

I know many of these can be rented, but time is money, so I'm planning to buy all except auger and trencher

I've been looking at several brands, and frankly it comes down to ease of access to dealers
Kioti, Mahindra, New Holland, Case IH -- All too far away
Kubota, Deere - just right, not too far, and lots of stock

Not happy with Deere's right to repair issues, and proprietary quick connect accessories
Frankly, if new, then it's going to be Kubota, if used, then either Kubota or Deere will do.

I really hate yardwork, farm work is ok, but maintaining an ornamental lawn is a chore for a servant. All that time and money for what? A lawn? Not for me.
If I thought I wanted to cut my lawn, I'd buy a zero turn mower, not use my tractor

I've been looking at used tractors too.
If I could find a good, full size tractor, with loader and backhoe, I'll have saved enough to buy a second, smaller "residential" type tractor.
Two used tractors, or one new.
Budget? $50k, but I really don't want to screw up the choice and spend twice, gotta get this right on first attempt.

I've been looking at the Kubota L47, L4701, L4060, and MX tractors, and the Deere 4044M/R, with loader/backhoe.

I've been given advice that less than 40hp is going to be a disappointment, so I've been looking at that size.

Am I going to be sorrier buying too much tractor? Sorrier still with too little?
I realize there are several questions in my post, but it kind of sums up all that I've read and I've spent a few weeks looking at auctions, going to dealers and reading forum posts

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Do you have an LX now? I had a 2610, sold it and stumbled into a MX I found on marketplace. It is triple the tractor the LX was. And I really liked the LX, just wasn't right for some of the heavier work I needed done.

My vote is MX with tires set wide and weights. That should be about $35k or so. Plenty of money left for attachments.

Reactions: 1 users

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
Good morning bsd,

I have a Kubota L3301. I find that it is adequately powered for every task I have needed it for. I also have a backhoe (BH77) for it. Very capable combination. If you have a backhoe, you will not need to rent a trencher. The main downside I see to a tractor backhoe is taking it on and off to utilize your 3 point equipment. Other people I know don’t like switching back and forth - it takes a little time. For me, it is no big deal.

Make sure you get the loader with “skid steer” type quick attach. I would recommend pallet forks that quick attach as opposed to “clamp on”.

Your thought that a used tractor will save you substantially may not prove out. Used tractors are commanding a very high price right now.

Whatever you get, give serious consideration to your tire selection. I have R1s on my tractor. I like them for the traction in mud and snow. But when the ground is wet, they leave ruts. Every tire type is a compromise between traction and the impact on your soil or grass.

Larger tractors are nice, but they are not as maneuverable in tight places. Since it sounds like you will be getting a grapple, you may want to buy a tractor with the “third function” already installed by the dealer. That way, your tractor will be grapple-ready. I use my 3 point “grading blade for grading our gravel driveway as well as plowing snow. When plowing snow, I bolt a “2x” board onto the blade so that the blade does not grade gravel off the driveway.

It looks like you may have already bought an LX3310?

Jack

Reactions: 1 user

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
My wife and I decided to retire to a "hobby" farm, so we bought a 15 acre farm in SE Michigan. I know I'm going to need a tractor, but after spending weeks looking at new and used tractors, as well as watching dozens of youtubes, and reading forum posts, I'm no further along as far as choosing the right size.

In the future, I can't see using that land for much more than pasture, one time seeding.
We intend to buy animals, horses, goats, chickens. We have an old (1850) farm house, a hip roof barn, apx 3000 ft², a Chicken barn, also apx 3000 ft²

We have brush that needs to be cleared, and grappling to pick it up and move it.

All of our fencing is rotten and/or missing, so I'm thinking about an auger, definitely rent.
All of our electric from house to barn etc is above ground, I'd love to dig a trench and bury it, trencher, rent.

The driveway stone is periodically restoned and needs to be graded, some blade, maybe same as snow
We have a lot of water coming into our basement(seasonally high water table), so digging a french drain, and/or tile and/or grading earth away from home, digging trenches for tile.

Everyone that I've spoken with thus far, says not to buy a backhoe, but that's the one implement I see needing quite a bit.

Accessories needed
Loader (buy)
Pallet forks (buy)
Bush hog (buy)
Auger (rent)
Trencher (rent)
Backhoe buy or rent
Chipper/Shredder (buy)

I know many of these can be rented, but time is money, so I'm planning to buy all except auger and trencher

I've been looking at several brands, and frankly it comes down to ease of access to dealers

Not happy with Deere's right to repair issues, and proprietary quick connect accessories
Frankly, if new, then it's going to be Kubota, if used, then either Kubota or Deere will do.

I really hate yardwork, farm work is ok, but maintaining an ornamental lawn is a chore for a servant. All that time and money for what? A lawn? Not for me.
If I thought I wanted to cut my lawn, I'd buy a zero turn mower, not use my tractor

If I could find a good, full size tractor, with loader and backhoe, I'll have saved enough to buy a second, smaller "residential" type tractor.
Budget? $50k, but I really don't want to screw up the choice and spend twice, gotta get this right on first attempt.

I've been looking at the Kubota L47, L4701, L4060, and MX tractors, and the Deere 4044M/R, with loader/backhoe.

I've been given advice that less than 40hp is going to be a disappointment, so I've been looking at that size.

Am I going to be sorrier buying too much tractor? Sorrier still with too little?
I realize there are several questions in my post, but it kind of sums up all that I've read and I've spent a few weeks looking at auctions, going to dealers and reading forum posts
I have the L4060 and love it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am one of those that disagrees with the other 90% that say rent a backhoe. I bought a BX25D 9 years ago, and I might have 40 hours while using the backhoe - yes IT IS AN expensive piece to add to the package but WHEN you need it ........... you have it!!! I would highly suggest you get IT NOW on whatever tractor you decide. ONCE you have it - you will always have and need it! ;)

Reactions: 5 users

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
If the price doesn't scare you, I think the L47 is a good choice. The loader, backhoe and hydraulic system is bigger/better for heavy lifting and dirt work. The HST is not the best for lots of mowing as there is no cruse control available on a L47. Much of my Bush Hog work is in a wooded area and the hydrostatic works well for me backing into different areas. Because of the weight of the bucket/loader if the backhoe is off, some sort of counterweight is necessary if you want to use the loader. I usually have my box blade or a counterweight on. when the backhoe is off.
I never intended to use the backhoe much but discovered how handy it is. My nearest rental yard is 25 miles away and I no longer have a truck/trailer capable of moving equipment.
The only items on your list that I don't own are the chipper and trencher. If you have a backhoe, you can probably get by without a trencher.
If you decide on a L47 I would be happy to let you know what options I got with the tractor and why I chose them.

Last edited:

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
If the price doesn't scare you, I think the L47 is a good choice. The loader, backhoe and hydraulic system is bigger/better for heavy lifting and dirt work. The HST is not the best for lots of mowing as there is no cruse control. Much of my Bush Hog work is in a wooded area and the hydrostatic works well for me backing into different areas. Because of the weight of the bucket/loader if the backhoe is off, some sort of counterweight is necessary if you want to use the loader. I usually have my box blade or a counterweight on. when the backhoe is off.
I never intended to use the backhoe much but discovered how handy it is. My nearest rental yard is 25 miles away and I no longer have a truck/trailer capable of moving equipment.
The only items on your list that I don't own are the chipper and trencher. If you have a backhoe, you can probably get by without a trencher.
If you decide on a L47 I would be happy to let you know what options I got with the tractor and why I chose them.
My L4060 has cruise and is HST. I didnt get a backhoe because they had none and i have access to a mini exc. Otherwise id be waiting the year i was quoted for ordering.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Accessories needed
Loader (buy)
Pallet forks (buy)
Bush hog (buy)
Auger (rent)
Trencher (rent)
Backhoe buy or rent
Chipper/Shredder (buy)

Reality first. Almost no one, especially those without such experience, "get this right on the first attempt."

The general consensus is that those who err on the side of larger usually replace less often. Obviously, one can buy a machine that is much too large but few do for multiple reasons.

From the available information, it would appear that the size of rough cut mower that you plan to use and the loads that you plan to move with your FEL will most heavily influence suitable tractor size.

Final note: Make your own decision. Do not trust recommendations of salespeople who are nearly always conflicted.

SDT

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If the price doesn't scare you, I think the L47 is a good choice. The loader, backhoe and hydraulic system is bigger/better for heavy lifting and dirt work. The HST is not the best for lots of mowing as there is no cruse control available on a L47. Much of my Bush Hog work is in a wooded area and the hydrostatic works well for me backing into different areas. Because of the weight of the bucket/loader if the backhoe is off, some sort of counterweight is necessary if you want to use the loader. I usually have my box blade or a counterweight on. when the backhoe is off.
I second this opinion!

I have an exceptionally low hour 2006 Kubota L48 TLB, which is the older brother of the L47 TLB.

IMHO the L47 is the exact machine for the needs you describe.
It may be very difficult to find a used L47,....... and $50K will likely be a bit short for a new one.
If you could find a low time L45/L48/M59 those would be good also.
Even an L35 would be fine, (t is a dedicated BH) though it is a bit smaller.

All mentioned above are Kubota dedicated TLB's.
Any of the above will be vastly superior to a CUT farm style tractor, with the add on backhoe.

I would recommend against the similar size John Deere 110 TLB.
A very nice looking machine (I nearly bought one), but it has a spotty history of cracked transmission housings, that are essentially cost prohibitive to repair/replace.

Some here may recommend against buying a backhoe!
Those are people who have never owned a Kubota dedicated TLB!

Last edited:

bsd

Equipment
Jan 18, 2022
Don't know where the unintentional strike through came from.
Need to learn markdown editing. Most forum sites use markdown and it's easy to learn. Look at the text of your reply
Strikethrough regions are delimited by double tilde
~~Example~~
My L4060 has cruise and is HST. I didnt get a backhoe because they had none and i have access to a mini exc. Otherwise id be waiting the year i was quoted for ordering.
At this point I'm leaning towards an L4060HST, with a Loader and skipping the backhoe, mostly because of availability.
The L47 is just a tad over the top, both financially and mechanically.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your going to want / need a CAB, it gets cold in the winter.
Your also going to want to stay bigger like big L or MX, round bales (For horses), and round straw bales are heavy.
If none of your buildings are big enough to store the tractor and equipment, your going to want to do that too.

bsd

Equipment
Jan 18, 2022
Your going to want / need a CAB, it gets cold in the winter.
Your also going to want to stay bigger like big L or MX, round bales (For horses), and round straw bales are heavy.
If none of your buildings are big enough to store the tractor and equipment, your going to want to do that too.
I have two buildings large enough to store the tractor, thanks

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I have two buildings large enough to store the tractor, thanks
I looked for the cab as well. Just to be able to use the tractor year round. I used Kubotausa.com to get ideas on correct pricing as well. The post about used is also correct. Just like cars shortages in the supply chain make used more valuable.
Also I have read on here about joining a Equine club and a discount. You may want to look at that.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Need to learn markdown editing. Most forum sites use markdown and it's easy to learn. Look at the text of your reply
~~Example~~
At this point I'm leaning towards an L4060HST, with a Loader and skipping the backhoe, mostly because of availability.
As is SO OFTEN has been recommended by a very frequent contributor over on TBN........BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR!
Meaning.... do THAT the FIRST time!

It gets very costly to upgrade tractors.
Obviously, tractors do not actually get smaller, it is just that the tractor tasks one opts to perform, tend to get bigger!

Reactions: 2 users

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Bigger is nicer, But with all those implements? Hopefully you have time to shop around and get a lower hour many implements package.
I change out BH to 3pt in less than an hour and do it often. Must have something on the rear to use my FEL, BH is heaviest and best.
Love my L47 TLB. HST is a luxury.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
~~Example~~
Thanks, BSD.

For whatever reason, the strike-through has vanished.

SDT

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My wife and I decided to retire to a "hobby" farm, so we bought a 15 acre farm in SE Michigan.
I can't add anything, but I did find it humorous, after reading your post, that you did not use quotation marks around the word "retire"...LOL

bsd

Equipment
Jan 18, 2022
I can't add anything, but I did find it humorous, after reading your post, that you did not use quotation marks around the word "retire"...LOL
This is my 1st "retirement". When *we* get tired of this, and *if* *we're* still alive, then retire for real. Where? $64,000 question. I think this will be the death of me though, so not a big problem worrying about what's next.