Size doesn't matter? Since when?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
At present (Apr 2022), using the config tool at k-usa, the L47, with full front/rear valve kits has a MSRP of $61,000, no other options.
Once I configure the L47 along with the attachments I think I need, the cost is easily $100k.
A low hours L47 was spotted recently for $47k, and sold quickly.

If I see another L47 for $47k, I'll pull that $47k out of my pocket and grab the tractor
A TBN member recently bought a 2018 M62 with 265 hours, for $45K.
It was at an undesirably distant location (in the USA though), so may cost him $5K for trucking.
Still........$50K total, for a very low hour M62 is one "smokin deal"!
Deals like that do come up occasionally, but one must be quick to leap!

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
If I had spent more time researching I would have given a more serious look to the MX series, especially MX6000. More capacity in the FEL, more HP to the PTO. I think you can put a BH92 on it - and it’s less expensive than the GL line. Cab and air ride seat is a must.
Just to clarify for the OP, you can only add the BH92 to the open station MX models. It's a very stout backhoe and I had one on order for the MX6000 HST that I sold.

back_hoe.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have absolutely no idea!
I

I do have the 3pt. hitch parts, but......
I will likely never remove the backhoe from my L48 dedicated TLB.
So since I use many 3ph implements, it seems like a dedicated TLB would be too specialized for my use.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If you’re going to use Kubota financing consider ordering the BH even though it might take a bit to get it. I think the pricing is better to purchase up front. I have the BH92 w QA bucket (18” and 16” flat face), mechanical thumb. The BH is a beast for a tractor unit IMO. I have the GL4060 and I enjoy all the bells and whistles, HST+, and throttle up, are the most useful to me. If I had spent more time researching I would have given a more serious look to the MX series, especially MX6000. More capacity in the FEL, more HP to the PTO. I think you can put a BH92 on it - and it’s less expensive than the GL line. Cab and air ride seat is a must.
You cannot install a backhoe on a MX cab model, just the ROPS model.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So since I use many 3ph implements, it seems like a dedicated TLB would be too specialized for my use.
When I had the BX25TLB I often wished that I had a second tractor. Removing/installing the backhoe, mower deck, snow blower etc., were always a royal PITA. I don't underestimate the value of convenience.

Ridelght

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L4060 Polaris Rangerxp800 Ford 3400
Feb 16, 2022
Ohio
I looked for the cab as well. Just to be able to use the tractor year round. I used Kubotausa.com to get ideas on correct pricing as well. The post about used is also correct. Just like cars shortages in the supply chain make used more valuable.
Also I have read on here about joining a Equine club and a discount. You may want to look at that.
I

I do have the 3pt. hitch parts, but......
I will likely never remove the backhoe from my L48 dedicated TLB.
Dealers claim 5 minutes. Saw a option for a lever disconnect for the hydraulic lines ease as well.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When I had the BX25TLB I often wished that I had a second tractor. Removing/installing the backhoe, mower deck, snow blower etc., were always a royal PITA. I don't underestimate the value of convenience.
I DO have a 2nd tractor!
That is why I will likely never remove the BH from my L48 TLB.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I would estimate BH removal on my L48 TLB to take 10 minutes maximum, though I never expect to do it.!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I DO have a 2nd tractor!
That is why I will likely never remove the BH from my L48 TLB.
That's the way to go. I can really see the benefit of having two tractors and plan to get there again at some point. I had two MX6000s for a few months but if I'm going to have two in the future I'd want the other tractor to be bigger.

Last edited:

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
[QUOTE="jyoutz, post: 540866, member: 3
How easy is it to remove backhoe and install the 3ph on a dedicated TLB?
[/QUOTE]
I just did mine for the first time. the backhoe was crooked and hard to get lined up properly. It took about 40 minutes to remove the back blade the 3 point and add the back hoe. If the back hoe was in the garage anywhere near straight it would have taken much less time. with practice on the boom and stabilazers I could see it taking less than 15 minutes.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
BH has never been off my BX23S since I bought it, and it'll never have a MMM put on it . Neighbours LOVE the lil beatie as is ! Have 3 other 'big' tractor for bigger jobs.Crazy thing is I paid more for the BX23S than ALL the other tractors, implements and combine.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That's the way to go. I can really see the benefit of having two tractors and plan to get there again at some point. I had two MX6000s for a few months but if I'm going to have two in the future I'd want the other tractor to be bigger.
My 2nd tractor is a sweet little 32HP Ford FEL (Shibaura), and it is so handy.
I use it, and my SCAG ZT mower, the most.
I only have 12 acres, so certainly do not NEED 2 tractors.
I actually have a nearly perfect condition 1951 Ford 8N also, but that is all about nostalgia.

The truth of the matter is, that at 81, I simply don't NEED any tractors!
I just like 'em!
My boys will have lotsa stuff to sell!

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
OP, you've been given some good input.
I like the TLB suggestion, but the $$ o_O. That's why I settled on my old L35. There's also an L45 and Mxx you could consider used. The backhoe removal is the same as the other frame mount backhoes. But I think their loaders are all like the L35 - bolted on and part of the frame. You can still remove the bucket if you have SSQA, of course, to lose a few feet of length.
I'd consider a front post hole auger, buy or rent. In my opinion, rear augers can be a real hazard. They only have their own weight to drill with and getting them plumb can be an issue. If a second person tries to assist, they are prone to get caught up in the spinning shaft.
You hinted once about lending the backhoe. Many of us on here would warn you about lending your equipment. Digging in the ground can create various hazards. You don't know what's down there - roots, utility lines, whatever - and need to take that into consideration. Heck, I've cut my cable and phone wires with my tile spade!
I'm not trying to scare you off, but you need to ask yourself "what could go wrong here?" constantly.

Reactions: 3 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
We agree, 1911!

For years, when younger, I wrestled implements around often without a concrete floor, mostly with vintage Ford and MF tractors.

As situations changed over the years and after retirement, I have become a believer in the "tractor for every task" philosophy.

My barns turned orange several years ago, and I have divested myself of most (not all) of my vintage Fords all of my MFs, and bought several Kubotas of various sizes.

As I no longer do any real farming but much mowing in various conditions, most of my tractors are mowing tractors, using mowers of various sizes.

These days, I install mowers in the spring after removing FELS, (some FELS are rarely, if ever, used but I'm 72 and someday I (or my son) will decide to sell all tractors, and non-tillage (big) tractors are difficult to sell without FELS, so I bought FELs for all). In the fall, I remove and service mowers and reinstall FELs.

FWIW, my son lives in Billings, and I plan to visit him in June for the wedding of my oldest granddaughter

Consider this an olive branch if you so desire.

There is no reason for us to be enemies.

SDT

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I only have 12 acres, so certainly do not NEED 2 tractors.

hmm, I'm down to 1/3 acre, 3 D-14s, the BX23S, 2 riders, 3 real garden tractors. Sold the 4th D-14 last year, Presented the GleanerA as a birthday gift 3 years ago.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
At present (Apr 2022), using the config tool at k-usa, the L47, with full front/rear valve kits has a MSRP of $61,000, no other options.
Once I configure the L47 along with the attachments I think I need, the cost is easily $100k.
A low hours L47 was spotted recently for $47k, and sold quickly.

If I see another L47 for $47k, I'll pull that $47k out of my pocket and grab the tractor
I ran the config tool. I eliminated the rear (dipper) valve kit and it reduced the price to $46,343
I didn't want a thumb on mine so I didn't think I needed the rear valve kit. I do have a grapple. I do have top and tilt and 3 rear remotes, a pin on 24in bucket, plus a half dozen other items. I configured mine and came up with $52,380 so the prices haven't changed too drastically in the last few years.
I can see how you could easily run the tab up to $100k without trying too hard.

Am I missing something??:eek:

I just ran the config tool again.

As you say; With front and rear valve kits, $61000
With front valve kit alone, $52,380

$14,657 for a rear valve kit???o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

Missouri - Michigan. That's close isn't it? In the dictionary.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have become a believer in the "tractor for every task" philosophy.

Consider this an olive branch if you so desire.

There is no reason for us to be enemies.

SDT
Olive branch accepted and I agree with the "tractor for every task" comment.

I find many situations where I could use a second tractor, both in the winter and for the rest of the year. I got a taste of this when I owned two MX tractors for a couple of months, but since they were the same model, cab notwithstanding, I was ok letting one go.

I pass through Billings quite a bit these days on my way to Sheridan, WY. I just got back on Thursday evening from a week-long trip down there.