Show us your Shop and Equipment

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
My Hardinge DV59 second-op lathe. Built sometime in the 1940s. When I got it, the 3/4 hp, 2 speed, 3 phase motor was bad so I replaced the motor with a 3/4 hp, 220V single phase. To keep the 8 speeds, I attached the original motor pulley to a jack shaft and added a 2 step pulley to the other end and a 2 step pulley to the motor. The picture is the original motor which now resides at the bottom of my 3-point tractor ballast. It came with 3-jaw and 4-jaw chucks as well as a good assortment of 5C collets. Being a second-op lathe, it has some limitations but it beats the heck out of no lathe.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I had uncounted hours on Hardinge 2nd op machines in my early career. Actually pretty capable for their size. And you cannot beat a Hardinge spindle. The company had about 8 of these, setup as yours is, plus the indexing turret, and front-rear slide.
(pictured below)
All of theirs were green, so they were affectionately known as "Little Green Weenies".

Attachments

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
one thing I found about a shop. You never have enough square footage, you never have enough tools, and the refrigerator seems to always be empty.

I built a small 30x40 a while back and it's full. Thought this'll work for me (and it's just me here), and for the most part it does. At work we moved from a little tiny 1310 sq foot shop to a 12,000 sq ft shop. After 3 months there, my shop at home is TINY in comparison.

Id like to have a lathe and probably a Bridgeport, that's what I used to do anyway. But with as small as my shop it, I don't think I'd have the space for both, either one for that matter. Of course it don't help that there's stuff everywhere. Wheels tires engines heads, crankshafts body parts (car body parts that is), etc. My neighbor says she wants to have a yard sale when Rona leaves town and we're allowed to have yard sales again and I am in agreement with her.....I'm gonna have a BIG sale, man's yard sale with fishing stuff hunting stuff and "shop stuff". Gotta free up some funds and more importantly, space.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm gonna have a BIG sale, man's yard sale with fishing stuff hunting stuff and "shop stuff". Gotta free up some funds and more importantly, space.
I hear ya brother!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Free to a good home for anyone who can use them-

Morse 17/32 drill with #2MT

Standard Tool 33/64 drill with #1MT

GTD 5/16 (broken to a stub) drill with #1MT

I can't use 'em, so you pay for shipping and they're yours, first come, first served.

I got them with a package tooling purchase.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Another Social Distancing Lockdown project:

Scrounged around in the stock stash & came up with 2 pcs to make stock supports for the outboard end of the lathe headstock. Wanted a little longer, but these were on hand. First, had to figure out the thread in the spindle; measured & calculated to be a 42mm x 1.5mm.. Could find no specs to confirm this, but the Grizzly (which is a direct copy of my Birmingham) has a 42mm x 1.5 thread, so I went for it.
Cut the aluminum one first, them machined the brass nut as a gage, then made the DOM steel one. Brass screws were from the stash, so nothing but my labor involved.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Lil Foot,

Great minds think alike.

Here is one I made several years ago for a Jet lathe that I bought new in 1979.

I like your square head screws...might have to borrow that idea.:)

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Yeah, square head screws seem to lend themselves to fine adjustments more than other types, but you can still crank them tight if need be.

Last edited:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
You been watching Abom79's videos?

He just fashioned the same thing for one of his lathes so he could machine a 9 foot long shaft. He also made a support to mount a steady rest on the bed of his vertical mill to support the end of the shaft.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Nice threading Bill! What is your setup?

Wish my lathes had those internal threads on the headstock!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
You been watching Abom79's videos? He just fashioned the same thing for one of his lathes so he could machine a 9 foot long shaft. He also made a support to mount a steady rest on the bed of his vertical mill to support the end of the shaft.
I do watch his stuff, but I've been meaning to make spiders for a long time. When I worked a large production shop many years ago, I saw a guy leave about 12ft of
1 3/4" SS sticking out of a large bore lathe headstock & turn the spindle on at about 3000rpm. The stock began to wobble, then bent 90 degrees, and proceeded to beat the living snot out of everything within reach. Towards the end, it was lifting the 2500lb lathe FOUR FEET off the floor. The operator ran, and the only way it stopped was that the power conduit got ripped off the machine. Scary stuff.

I liked his steady rest on the V-mill, we had a similar setup, using a steady rest on a large hydraulic lift table. It worked well, but was a pain to align & lock down.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Nice threading Bill! What is your setup?

Wish my lathes had those internal threads on the headstock!
Thanks!
It was all done on the 12x36 Birmingham. It cuts SAE threads quite well using the thread dial, but for metric threads, you must engage the half nut and leave it engaged all the time, reversing the spindle to back off after each pass. Doable, but a pain. But it produces great threads.
I got stuck with a LOT of single point threading during my early days in the shop, simply because I was good at it and willing to forego high production rates to try to make perfect parts. The two jobs I hated the most were a SS casting with a 3.830 x 80 3A thread, and a job with an large, odd shaped aluminum forging that needed to have a 1.750 x 20 3B thread milled in a bore, using a v-mill and a power rotary thread milling table. (before the days of CNC)
Worst job in the entire shop, and I got it every time.
(1st pic is a Shop Fox, but identical to my Birmingham)

Attachments

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Another Social Distancing Lockdown project:
Made a little caster wheeled cart for the jack on my splitter, makes it easier to maneuver in the garage. Wheels from the stash, material 1" repurposed/recycled aluminum fixture plate.

Attachments

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
The first two images are of a project that falls into the category of why didn't I do this long ago. I mounted my spray mist nozzle on a Noga arm and now it is there when I need it by just turning the knob and adjusting it.

The other images are of my threading tools: The first two are Kennametal top lock that I use in my bigger lathes. The 3rd is a threading system from Warner which is high speed steel inserts that I use on my Craftsman (Atlas) bench lathe that doesn't have the speed or hp to use carbide.

Hey Bill, its good to know I'm not the only guy that collects caster wheels for projects like the one you just finished. Good job!

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My threading tools:
1) A selection of 3/8" brazed carbide, mainly left over from toolroom lathes & chuckers.
2) The brazed carbide tool I used for the threading on the headstock supports. (above)
3) Two 3/8" insert tools- I don't care much for the tiny triangular insert tool- inserts are much too fragile.
4 & 5) A 3/4" insert tool set that I got with my Birmingham lathe. Works very well, but I'll bet inserts will be expensive. Thankfully, I figure I may never need any replacements. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You guys need to load up your equipment and move closer! :D

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Free to a good home for anyone who can use them-

Morse 17/32 drill with #2MT

Standard Tool 33/64 drill with #1MT

GTD 5/16 (broken to a stub) drill with #1MT

I can't use 'em, so you pay for shipping and they're yours, first come, first served.

I got them with a package tooling purchase.

These are GONE!