Show us your Shop and Equipment

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I've been keeping a watch out for a pedestal grinder for my shop and ran across this piece of Old American Iron. It is a Hisely Wolf that may very well be 100 years old. Usually on pedestal grinders the guards and the tool rests are gone but not on this one. It is all there. Had to wire it with a vfd because I do not have 3 phase in my shop. Now I can finally sharpen those large drill bits with ease!

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Nice score! I love that old heavy American iron, not much of it out here. Machines like that are so stable, smooth, & powerful compared to most of the crap out today.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
A ways back in this thread we discussed some good youtube machining videos for beginners.
Suggestions were mrpete222, tubal cain, keith fenner, and abom79.
Been reviewing videos whenever I had time, and the best all round series I have found for beginning and even experienced machinists is blondi hacks, https://www.youtube.com/c/Blondihacks/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid. I haven't seen all her vids, & I don't agree with everything she says or does, but I have seen no glaring errors or unsafe practices. I wish many of the machinists I worked with over the years had learned from her vids, they would have been better machinists. She does a lot of shop tool projects, and everybody needs more shop tools, especially if you learn something new at the same time.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Corona Virus Lockdown Extra Time Projects

A while back I made an 8 hole 5C collet rack. (1st pic, left side) Ran across another suitable piece of stock, so I made another (2nd pic, right side) for the opposite side of my main collet rack/shelf. (3rd pic)
IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0017.JPG

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Went to my first estate sale in a long ting time, as they had TONS of shop tooling, cutters, inserts, tool boxes, and such.
Got there 1 1/2 hours before they opened, and I was 9th in line. The first five guys in line took 90% of all the machining stuff, leaving very little for the rest of us.
I scored a B&S inside mike & a nice v-block, but that was it.
IMG_0035.JPG

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
The grinder pedestal post above reminded I have to get mine built. I have a heavy cast base-with-post table base I plan to put on rollers and mount four grinder/buffers on to make more room on my workbench... I have been pretty busy this last winter...

I had some major work that took some head scratching and pondering. I had ONE sink drain in my barn complex that was in a bathroom. I needed to add two more sinks (and a washer) drain to that drain which went to the barn septic tank. The single drain was buried in a grouted block wall. I had to open the wall up to get the drain exposed to re-plumb it. Here is how I chose to do it...

Fortunately, I found only the piping part of the wall was grouted and I chipped it out carefully before re-plumbing and then re-grouting. The drain to the left goes to a sink on a horse wash-rack that used to drain on the floor. It also has a T for a washer drain. The middle drain serves the only original drain (bathroom sink) and the right Y pops through the wall to a shop sink I have wanted since buying the place.

Barn Plumbing-2.jpg

After re-grouting... Notice the grungy floor.

BarnWorkSpring2020-7.jpg

The new sink and washer in the old wash rack... You can see the drain line painted brown going towards the bathroom through the wall to the right. I also welded up hanging racks for all my weedie tools. The washer dryer were old ones we replaced and I decided this was a good time to install them in the shop. The wood cabinet was all scrap wood I had leftover from the house remodel. The stereo cabinet (upper left) was a project I had long waited to get out of the way. It closes up and keeps the tune-box free of dust.

BarnWorkSpring2020-8.jpg

Of course, that sink on the wall only had one leg on it. So, I fabricated a custom metal rack out of 1" steel to hang it off the wall with...

Barn Upgrades-6.jpg

Here is the sink in the workshop...

BarnWorkSpring2020-4.jpg

And, after bashing out the wall to re-do the plumbing, I finally gutted the nasty bathroom and re-did it. The toilet was a like-new take out I bought for $30. The vanity and mirror were on sale at Home Depot for $79. The light was re-painted from a bathroom in the house.

BarnWorkSpring2020-3.jpg

Probably more than you cared to know... But, that is just part of what I did this spring to finally improve my workshop/barn.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Way too nice for me. My shop is loaded with machine tools and vintage motorcycles but I use 'natures bathroom' outside and the only 'convenience' in the shop is a bar fridge for beverages.

It is air conditioned however and heated in the winter with in floor PEX running RV antifreeze.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Very nice Ray! Can I move into your shop? :)

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Very nice Ray! Can I move into your shop? :)

In the Peter Piper Pizza voice, "C'monnn Ovv-aah!"

I have an excuse. A friend got interested in Overlanding. That is where you take a purpose built vehicle and head out on dirt roads or no roads on a two week adventure and never once see civilization. He had a 1976 Jeep J-20 sitting in his garage, so he made it into an overland vehicle. It has been featured in a bunch of magazine articles and Motor Trend is scheduled to do one on it (and others) this November. My buddy lives in Ohio but wanted it out here for the big Overland Expo in Flagstaff in May. Covid killed that and the rescheduled event this month. Oh well, knowing this monster was coming meant I had to get off my ass and get stuff done in my shop. Glad I had the pressure to git er done.

BarnWorkSpring2020.jpg
BarnWorkSpring2020-2.jpg
BarnWorkSpring2020-6.jpg

This side of the workshop was a huge mess. I finally had to get it done before my buddy arrived with his truck. Glad I did. We worked in this area relocating his axle on the rear springs and other jobs.

BarnWorkSpring2020-5.jpg

One project that was also a must-do was hanging LED night lights that stay on 24/7 and minimize the chances of stepping on a snake. It's a two bulb 20 watt LED and the light is blinding. I have one just like it in the workshop and after fumbling in the dark the first couple years, this is a huge upgrade. This winter, my job is getting the last of the clutter sorted on this side of the building.

Barnside NiteLite.jpg

Last edited:

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
No garage, 20 foot long dirt driveway, basement has dirt floor too. I have $1000s worth of tools and 50+ years experience.... just wish I even HAD my own shop.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
Cranked up the AC in the shop today and built a couple of roller stands for my little horizontal band saw and miter saw. They adjust from 23”-41”.
F93EDCBF-E3BD-4E91-86D3-EF617AFF8C67.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I installed and ran power to my sub panel for the garage / shop, it's still all part of the house build, but it gives me a dedicated panel for the air compressor, welder, plasma, table saw, hinge cutter, Dust collector and a ton of other smaller tools.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
...built a couple of roller stands for my little horizontal band saw.

I need to do the same thing. I was gonna modify a woodworking roller stand but may not be able to get it low enough for my saw. Sure helps when cutting the end off longer pieces.

I bought a HF saw the same day they marked it down. Not sure why, it was a nicer quality grey colored machine. So far, works great but the all-important chuck wheel broke at the hub (Chinesium plastic -I know, you are shocked!) I found a five inch wheel on Amazon and bored it out to fit and it works great...
Saw Wheel.jpg

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
On the tailstock of my Enco lathe the morse taper is not machined to lock the tang. Sometimes when tapping or drilling the drill chuck will rotate in the taper. Not good! So I modified the tailsock quill by machining a slot across the front and making an adapter with tangs to stop rotation. Copied the idea from the quill on my big Lehmann lathe.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I like it, positive stop now. What size Enco?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I installed and ran power to my sub panel for the garage / shop, it's still all part of the house build, but it gives me a dedicated panel for the air compressor, welder, plasma, table saw, hinge cutter, Dust collector and a ton of other smaller tools.
You’re really going to like that!

I did a 60A sub panel in my garage several years ago. The feed to it was long and a bear, but glad I did it.

Have 2-220v circuits and several single-pole circuits. Adds/changes are easy, because the box is right there and simple to run into.