Show me your Refueling Setup

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's paperwork at the station itself, not State. My guess is it would have to be a station that offers PUC pricing too. We predominately use one independent station, know the crew, and they told me. It's just a small sheet for contact info and gallons. Apparently the sheets just sit at the station in case of audit. I've got an above ground tank here so don't have to deal with cans in the truck.
You don't have dyed diesel there?

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
There is nothing worse then a modern EPA approved fuel container/jug, that is slow to empty out. Holding one up while it does can be a pain, that's why I use the FEL to lift the jug (pouring spout removed) up and then I just syphon the fuel out. Simple, easy, and spill proof, unless you overfill that is. I keep my L3301 somewhere about 3/4 to 1/4 full.

The other thing I have done, first thing with a new fuel jug, is bore a 3/4" hole in the top and then epoxy a plumbing fitting in there with a screw on cap, NOW I have an air vent big enough to let the fuel out as quickly as gravity wants.

I've been dealing with re-fueling from various small containers with my small airplane for years so all this is old hat. The one method I never use with the plane or the tractor is to dump it directly in the tank while holding a jug overhead, I either syphon or use a small electrical transfer pump, I have a fuel transfer pump (just a high powered/high capacity fuel pump, meant for hot rods, less then $100.00) permenantly mounted on the floorboards in the plane, so when I get mogas (preferred over leaded Av gas for my engine, way cheaper too) on a trip, carried in jugs, I just set it down near the plane and use a short length of screened hose to uppump into the overhead fuel tanks, never once spilling a drop. The tractor, having a FEL, offers an even easier way.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I have a combination toolbox and fuel tank in the rear of the truck. Very nice checker plate, low profile, locking, and inconspicuous.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH

Maybe not a great pic, but it's what I use. RDS aluminum 60-gallon diesel tank, DOT-approved, with locking cap, fuel gauge, Fill-Rite transfer pump and hydrosorb filter, auto shut-off pump nozzle. I'm filling a B2920 and MX4800 that work in the field a lot. I can bring the fuel to them, and refill the transfer tank, in a super-convenient manner. I use on of the factory "upfitter" switches in my Ford to supply power to the tank pump from inside the cab...that way nobody can just pump my tank dry if they wanted to.

I used 5-gallon cans for quite awhile...not fun lifting those heavy cans and holding them while they slowly glug-glug out...and filling a bunch of them at the fuel station.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Anyone out there using one of these portable GPI brand pumps with their refueling setup?

GPI LINK

I'm thinking about getting one for a tank I'm getting setup for fuel.

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Sometimes I refill from my son's work truck - they put everything in. I use a 5gal. can and if I need to I can draw from the heating oil tank. I run PS white with a splash of Seafoam. I might get a small hand pump for the can down the road - I'm not getting any younger either - LOL.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
In this end of the country if it aint dyed red your payin road tax on it

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Anyone out there using one of these portable GPI brand pumps with their refueling setup?

GPI LINK

I'm thinking about getting one for a tank I'm getting setup for fuel.
That style of pump is fine for use, but then trying to store it and keep it clean, diesel is messy and having a hose full of it is quite unruly.
You would need to fill the tractor, then drain the line back to the container, then how do you store the whole setup to keep it clean?
A fixed pump setup is a much better choice.
I started with cans then advanced to more cans with a sipon, then a pump like the one you listed, then to a 55 gallon drum, then same drum with a fixed pump and then to a Semi Tank with the fixed pump.
My latest setup is definitely the best of them all.

If you still want to try it out, go on ebay and you can pick up the generic version for much cheaper and try it, if you love it then buy the brand name version when the cheap one petters out.

Last edited:

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Thanks for the info. This new tractor is the only one that claims it needs Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fuel everything else we have here just runs on off road diesel fuel so i'm setting up a 40 gal sprayer tank to store the ULSD for the MX5800. I might try one of the cheap ones like you mentioned. I was just going to use quick disconnects on the lines off of the pump to make them easy to store after use.

That style of pump is fine for use, but then trying to store it and keep it clean, diesel is messy and having a hose full of it is quite unruly.
You would need to fill the tractor, then drain the line back to the container, then how do you store the whole setup to keep it clean?
A fixed pump setup is a much better choice.
I started with cans then advanced to more cans with a sipon, then a pump like the one you listed, then to a 55 gallon drum, then same drum with a fixed pump and then to a Semi Tank with the fixed pump.
My latest setup is definitely the best of them all.

If you still want to try it out, go on ebay and you can pick up the generic version for much cheaper and try it, if you love it then buy the brand name version when the cheap one petters out.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ed, I think all diesel fuel sold now is Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel, that's why some add 2 cycle oil to the fuel.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Thanks for the info. This new tractor is the only one that claims it needs Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel fuel everything else we have here just runs on off road diesel fuel so i'm setting up a 40 gal sprayer tank to store the ULSD for the MX5800. I might try one of the cheap ones like you mentioned. I was just going to use quick disconnects on the lines off of the pump to make them easy to store after use.
I have the harbor freight version of that pump.

my tractor had Ultra low sulfur stickers on it also.... I run home heating oil / off road diesel..

Same thing the dealer put in it when I picked it up. ;)

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showpost.php?p=243755&postcount=28

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes all fuel including off road included is ULSD, they don't make or ship anything but that in the US.

You're safe to use off road in your new tractor. ;)

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Thanks guys - Darn I already setup a 40 gal tank and it came out pretty nice LOL

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
I have been using this setup for a month and it works great. It is expensive but very easy to use and no more lifting a 5 gallon container up to fill the tank.[/QUO

I am also using this 25 gal. tote, started with out the hand pump just gravity feed, and after first use added the pump.
works great, I lay on a pallet and lift into pick up for refueling.
I thought the hand pump would take forever to fill, but it doesn't I was very surprised on how well it works.
DIESEL FUEL CADDY.JPG

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have been using this setup for a month and it works great. It is expensive but very easy to use and no more lifting a 5 gallon container up to fill the tank.[/QUO

I am also using this 25 gal. tote, started with out the hand pump just gravity feed, and after first use added the pump.
works great, I lay on a pallet and lift into pick up for refueling.
I thought the hand pump would take forever to fill, but it doesn't I was very surprised on how well it works.
View attachment 37946
How do you get around the law that says you have to take containers off the vehicle and put them on the ground for filling them at the gas station? Not sure if it is a state law or?

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
How do you get around the law that says you have to take containers off the vehicle and put them on the ground for filling them at the gas station? Not sure if it is a state law or?
If that is the law I must be breaking it.
I can use my enclosed trailer with ramp door if I must.

I sure am not lifting 25 gallons that would be about 175 lbs of fuel only.:eek:
I don't see that listed on this web link.
https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-42271_4115_4238-9319--,00.html

Last edited: