Shop/Shed 30x60

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
We have a roof thanks to BIL and nephew. Still lack several hundred screws, but it's all up there and in place.
Also, I met with county code and got back on the ag building plan so I can get electricity without plumbing. Met with electric coop to formulate a plan and get a meter base before they discontinue providing them.
View attachment 109396
Po, somehow I missed this thread all-together. Subscribed now. The building looks great!

UnEasyRider

Equipment
L3302 LA 526 loader, Box Scraper, Grappler, Forks, Rotary mower, Big Tool Rack.
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
That was just the concrete cost, but I put a metal I-beam building on it with 20' centers
I'm still looking but I'm thinking a metal building is gonna come in cheaper and go up faster than wood. If you can recommend any companies for metal or a certain type of metal construction that would be appreciated. Cause no re-do's on the building!...lol

CiscoRanger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4150DT / BF900
Oct 3, 2022
Texas
I'm still looking but I'm thinking a metal building is gonna come in cheaper and go up faster than wood. If you can recommend any companies for metal or a certain type of metal construction that would be appreciated. Cause no re-do's on the building!...lol
I cant really recommend anything as the supplier and welder were all local. I went ibeam so I didnt have any trusses hanging down. 12x12' roll-up doors on a 14' wall height. I'm happy with it and wouldnt change anything.

You might start a new thread on this and I bet you'd get some good input.

Reactions: 1 user

UnEasyRider

Equipment
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
I cant really recommend anything as the supplier and welder were all local. I went ibeam so I didnt have any trusses hanging down. 12x12' roll-up doors on a 14' wall height. I'm happy with it and wouldnt change anything.

You might start a new thread on this and I bet you'd get some good input.
If it's not a problem post or DM me some pics showing in and out would be helpful. I like your sizes. Doesn't sound like you would have any problems getting near anything in there except perhaps a tall motorhome. I'll be broke after the building so no motorhome in my future!:D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes. my 40x60 was about 20k. and thats been over a year ago.
Gosh - years ago a full foundation would be 10-15k with excavation, drainage and stone.

I was hearing from contractors a few months back that similar jobs would be 50-75k…. Scary

UnEasyRider

Equipment
Apr 14, 2023
Florida
Gosh - years ago a full foundation would be 10-15k with excavation, drainage and stone.

I was hearing from contractors a few months back that similar jobs would be 50-75k…. Scary
Well just like pickup trucks costing 85 to 100K...eventually they will price themselves out of the general market and will just have the small segment of peeps that can afford it. Usually that's not enough to support a business.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Versa-Tube style might work for you. A friend of mine had one in Hobe Sound.

Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Just an update, siding going up. Slowly, this is really not a one (old) man job. Since I'm using 8' siding on ~10' walls, I'm blocking between the studs for the joint. That doubles the time required.
IMG_20230902_121211294.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
did you consider using 'polycarb', 'twinwall' or similar 'glazing' for the top 2' of the walls ? I did the top 4' of 14' walls for 60 of the 72' south wall. MAN it is BRIGHT in the shop. well, was, until I sold it...,sniff ,sniff.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
did you consider using 'polycarb', 'twinwall' or similar 'glazing' for the top 2' of the walls ? I did the top 4' of 14' walls for 60 of the 72' south wall. MAN it is BRIGHT in the shop. well, was, until I sold it...,sniff ,sniff.
I didn't give it much thought. My BIL and Dad's shed had some fiberglass panels in the roof, but they didn't last well in the sun and they replaced them. I had that experience in mind. I'm not planning on installing windows for security reasons, just using plenty of 4' led strips. I noticed yesterday, even with that bit of siding and the roof, it was starting to get darker in there. I'll have to come up with some temporary lighting.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
These lights work 100% better than LED strips. and they work in an A base fixture (normal old light bulb).

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'll bet that polycarb kept the interior REALLY nice cozy warm too....... on a -30C/30 kt. Ontario February day! 😭

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Curious as to your reasoning since I have never used that type of fixture.

please expound on your statement
I'm kind of a LED nut, I have 1000's of LED types in every color and form factor.
And this is not an exaggeration, there are boxes and box of them. 🤪
I have individual LED's as small as a pin head (they are soooo hard to work with) all the way up to a silver dollar, I have ropes, strips, neon's, bulbs and various fixtures.
And all of the drivers, repeaters, remote controls, power supplies and such to run them.

HI, I'm North Idaho Wolfman and I have an LED problem!

I did physically tests with 10+ different light fixtures on my garage and shops, and this style won.
I tested a lot of different brands and types.
The blade light put out the best spread of light at the highest Lumens for the lowest overall cost.
The real benefit to me is that they fit a standard base so when they go out, they just unscrew and screw in a new one.

I have put 1000's of hours on them and they are holding up perfectly.
I did have a few that showed up dead or burned out way to early but most sellers will replace them with no issues.
We did a unplanned test on one fixture when we were building out house, it was lit for 3+ years, on all the time, hit by surges, power outages, hot (103f) cold (-20f) and it's still working to this day.
so they hold up really well.

We did have the older LED's on the trailer and there were 2 outside lights that stayed on all the time, it was interesting that over several years they would get dimmer and dimmer, you'd really notice it when you changed them out.

One note: I bought the ones at Home Depot and a local farm and feed store and both failed in a extremely short period of time, they were very disappointing.

Second best was UFO lights but they are hard wired and pricey, they do put out more light but they are 3 to 4 times the cost.

Every light in our home is LED and they all had to be tested too before we installed them, we have various styles but most are flat panel ones.

Static test with all LED's lit up full bright, in house and 2 shops it works out to about $5 a month, and our place is not dim! Mrs. NIW complains they are too bright even with dimmers.

The garage has two sets of lights Lower Lumen flat panel lights, and High lumen blade lights.

20210106_172235.jpg

20210106_172306.jpg

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thank you. I also like the LED lights but am using up the hoarded incandescent bulbs from my parents and wife’s mother.

I don’t think I will be able to get through them all before I pass away though.

• Haha