Shelving ??

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
So next week we will be moving to another house. We really lucked out in finding it - not the least of which the current owner is a 50 year friend / customer. He & his wife are letting us move in before we close. Heck, I don't even have a contract or given a deposit yet and we move in 6 days. He is willing to wait until we close on the sale of our house.

It's great. There is a large attached 3 car garage and a garage in the basement - the basement is at grade in the rear. A mirror of what we have now.

What it doesn't have is garage shelving or anything in the basement. Totally unfinished. At a minimum I need to shelve the garage. In our current house I built wooden shelves on 2 walls and they have worked out well. That was 34 years ago. Today I'm not so anxious to build shelves again, though I may take a shot at framing walls in the basement and building out a workshop.

What are good options for garage shelving that you have used?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So next week we will be moving to another house. We really lucked out in finding it - not the least of which the current owner is a 50 year friend / customer. He & his wife are letting us move in before we close. Heck, I don't even have a contract or given a deposit yet and we move in 6 days. He is willing to wait until we close on the sale of our house.

It's great. There is a large attached 3 car garage and a garage in the basement - the basement is at grade in the rear. A mirror of what we have now.

What it doesn't have is garage shelving or anything in the basement. Totally unfinished. At a minimum I need to shelve the garage. In our current house I built wooden shelves on 2 walls and they have worked out well. That was 34 years ago. Today I'm not so anxious to build shelves again, though I may take a shot at framing walls in the basement and building out a workshop.

Build 'em yourself.
You will have a custom designed, and better quality product, at a significantly lower price.

Reactions: 3 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have these in my garage and shop. They are huge and each shelf can hold 2000 pounds. They are pricey but easy to construct and they last forever. I have also found these at Costco for $50 cheaper.

Reactions: 3 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa

I recently reorganized my basement and considered all options for shelving. I ended up buying mine at Sam's Club. Very sturdy steel units that were easily assembled and reasonably priced. You can look on craigslist and Facebook Marketplace as well. There is quite a bit of used stuff normally available. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I too bought these at sams - hold a butt load of stuff too!

And they roll easily with a lot of weight on them.

1681348614623.png

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have several different shelving systems,
The one's Jyoutz put up, Excellent
The one's 85Hokie put up Excellent
I have Ex Home depot racks, most excellent for big items!
And I have gorilla racks, not a fan of the original particle board shelves, but otherwise they are great!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Look into store shelving. You can find many places that sell used store shelving. I am partial to one brand, but at present, I can't give you the name because I can't think of it. I have it in my cellar and also in my wife's store. The base shelf is 36" wide and 20" deep, and it is 8' high. It is so strong that you can climb on it without it moving. I will check tomorrow as to the brand. At one time I was one of the largest Iams dog food retailers in the country, and they supplied us with all the shelving that we needed. When I started closing some of my stores, they didn't want it back. I filled all the walls of my cellar with it. Then as we expanded my wife's store, I kept taking it out of the cellar and putting it into her store. At one time I had so much shelving I was giving it to my friends for their cellar and garage.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Do as you feel is best, personally I'd gather ideas make plans/sketches, but I wouldn't proceed until the inks dry on the deed, stuff happens.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
All good advice above. I also have those Sams Club ones and they work well....However (and there is always a however)

My garage shelves are homemade and I have this stupid rule.

All shelving can not be more than 8 inch's deep. (unless it's made for something very specific)

If I put anything behind anything, I may was well just throw it away, because I will never find it again.

If you look in the background you'll see that what I'm talking about.
20230116_101558[1].jpg

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Costco has some nice heavy duty units

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, what's going to be stored ON the shelving ? I have 2 'units' of industrial racking, 11' long, 42" deep, 10 ' tall that store small engines and parts, excess tools, etc. ( not enough either...) Underneath spots for extra air compressors, snowblowers,tires.......
everyone has different needs so maybe draw it on paper first,cut out 'scale templates'. be a bumme rto find out that 16" deep would have been ideal compared to the 12" units you just bought and assembled !

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I have a mix of home made, industrial racks and baker racks, some with wheels. Pros and cons, the wood racks I made are sturdy, but if I want to adjust the spacing, it’s a ton of work. Wood racks are only in the basement. Both the Industrial and baker racks are easily adjustable and if you need a flat surface, cut some plywood for the industrial racks or use melamine for the baker rack. It’s thin, light weight and easily cleaned. I do lots of my seasonal storage in plastic tubs so I want at least 2’ of depth so they containers don’t stick out. I will be using the area under my industrial racks to store my 3 point attachments on dollys.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have these in my garage and shop. They are huge and each shelf can hold 2000 pounds. They are pricey but easy to construct and they last forever. I have also found these at Costco for $50 cheaper.

I have three sets of the shelving that @jyoutz links to above and it's decent stuff but expensive for what it is. I have a couple in the garage and a set in my gun room, but when it came time to add a really nice and functional set to the wall for all manner of firearms related stuff, I made my own.

shelving_01.jpg

shelving_02.jpg

shelving_03.jpg

shelving_04.jpg

primer_tubes.jpg

corner.jpg

middle.jpg

gunroom_03.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I found this photo of the Husky rack that's in the gun room ... on the opposite wall to the custom shelving.

gunroom_05.jpg

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
He & his wife are letting us move in before we close. Heck, I don't even have a contract or given a deposit yet and we move in 6 days. He is willing to wait until we close on the sale of our house.
Any lawyer reading this will cringe. Or perhaps drool.

• Haha

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Streater is the brand name of shelving. You can purchase shelves in 3' & 4' lengths and in depths of 6" and in 2" increments up to 28" or 30". To use the deeper shelves, you will need to use the deeper base shelves. 4' shelving is more common for commercial use and more readily found in used shelving outlets. The backs are usually heavy-duty peg board, however, I have seen solid particle board and decorative backing. The shelving can be screwed to the wall joists if you want to make sure that it is secure. I don't recommend Lozier shelving or any other brand for that matter. I have had them all at one time or another and found that the Streater is the Rolls Royce of store shelving.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I want to thank everyone for their helpful suggestions! We are down to the last days here and will be disassembling our lan and computer gear for packing very soon.

I expect at least part of the shelving issue will be job one at the new house.

Tractor gets a packing job too before we go. I am borrowing a 14' F350 rack body with lift gate today. Today the tractor will load the 12 tower sections and hardware on it then we drive 11 miles to unload. Tomorrow it will load all the implements on the truck early in the am. I have a flat bed tow truck scheduled for 10. We load the Kubota onto the flat bed and drive over to the new house. Then I get to unload them all there.

Its been a load of work but looking forward to all the projects :)

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
GovDeals.com auction bought an elementary school kitchen metal shelving. Nice heavy commercial sections with a few on wheels. About a gooseneck trailer full for about the cost of one section. Removed a truck load wooden shelves from the shop. Reduced fire fuel load. 400# per shelf = ton/section capacity. Have that much steel on many sections.