Shed upgrade started

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Had all kinds of projections that it was supposed to rain again all of today, so elected to take a day off from the shed project and handle another relatively important project. I had 10 gallons of home brew beer that needed bottling. So I got up, washed/sanitized 120 bottles, and watched a rather glorious sunny day through the kitchen window whilst cleaning said bottles. Racked the beer from fermenter #1 in to the bottling bucket. Sun's still shining. Bottled 51 bottles, capped, and in the boxes for conditioning. Sun's still shining. Brought up the second fermenter, racked it into the bottling bucket. Yep, sun's still shining. My grand daughter spray painted some stuff in the back yard and left it in the sun to dry. I'm still inside filling another 59 bottles of a new beer recipe for me to try out. Labels on the boxes, boxes stowed, mess cleaned up, now it's cloudy. Just because I was gonna go put the flashing on the second bay door, it's gotta cloud up and start raining. Can't buy a break.
Weather always seems to work against you.

From day one I never bottled. Always put the beer in five gallon soda kegs and forced carbonated. Great time saver.

I want to say I feel your pain, but can’t...no bottling experience...but someday you may feel my pleasure if you move into kegging your beer! 😂

I need to to get back into home brewing! Enjoy!👍

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Leastways, you have beer.
And beer will get you through times of no sun - better than sun will get you through times of no beer.
Or something.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
There is much more rain headed your way so your gutters will be tested......again. 🤔
Tested, and failed. Can't say I'll ever recommend vinyl gutters. Looked good when I put 'em up. But, between the leaking couplings, and two out of 4 of the gutters just turning the hangers loose and sagging, I'm not happy at all. Tried to get back there and fix the worst one, but got rained out. Guess the Gutter Stuff held back enough water it got too heavy for the vinyl to hang on to the PVC hangers. I'm planning on putting self-tapping stainless steel screws through the edge of the gutter and into the hanger. Not gonna get anything back but I'll take some photos and try to rattle the manufacturer's cage. Couldn't do anything with them this morning, because I'm gonna need a cohort on a ladder to enact my game plan. So, decided to start putting the J-channel and starter strip on for the vinyl. Again, rained out. I've been wet the entire day, whether from sweating in the horrible humidity, or getting rain soaked every time I ventured outside the shed more than 10 minutes.

Rain woke me up this morning at 0520. Looked at the weather radar map with my phone, and it ain't often you see dark purple for precipitation rate, but we had exactly that this morning, and it lasted nearly an hour. Guess I should be happy the gutters are still hanging on the facia. That was a LOT of water. And again today around 10ish, downpour. Right now, downpour. According to a neighbor's little Tempest weather station, we're just over 3 inches of rain in the past 24 hours. That's almost as much as South Australia gets in 6 months. According to his nifty little gadget, we've had 43 inches since 01/01/21, and it has rained 12563 minutes so far this year. That's more than 209 hours of rain, nearly 10 days non-stop. That's a lotta rain. Does anyone have the blueprints for an ark? I may have been better off building that instead of a shed.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Weather always seems to work against you.

From day one I never bottled. Always put the beer in five gallon soda kegs and forced carbonated. Great time saver.

I want to say I feel your pain, but can’t...no bottling experience...but someday you may feel my pleasure if you move into kegging your beer! 😂

I need to to get back into home brewing! Enjoy!👍
The only reason I don't keg is that I don't really have (until now) a place to put a spare refrigerator to put the kegs in. I kinda like the effects of carbonating with primer sugar. Haven't bottle bombed yet, but I know I'm pressing my luck. I've passed 30 batches a while back. I put nearly 120 bottles on the shelf yesterday. Got another recipe to run when I won't drown if I go outside. It's a Samual Adams Summer Ale knockoff. The missus didn't know, but picked up some SASA tonight. I think I like it almost as much as my Rapier Wit which is a Blue Moon clone.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Oh, did make a little progress today. Had to work alone today because we had the 3 year old grandson over for the day. My usual helper had granny duty. I normally avoid the ladders over 3 or 4 steps when I'm by myself. I usually take my phone out of my pocket when I'm working so I'm not tempted to try to answer it when I'm on a ladder or have my hands full. My dad spent 26 years in a VA hospital after falling less than 6 feet and seriously damaging the frontal lobe of his brain. I'm not interested in falling with help around, let alone taking that risk with no one near that would know I need help before it's too late.

Got the J-channel up around both bay doors and the walk-in door. Put the starter edge on across the front too. Got the pieces cut for one window, and part of what I need for the second window. Got my marching orders for the soffits from the missus. She wants to match the house, which means I need more materials. Might have some problems getting that on and making it match the boxed eaves on the house. I'm afraid I may be stuck with closing it up with thin plywood. Had hoped to avoid any painted surfaces other than the brick moulding around the walk-in door. Maybe I can find some kind of PVC or vinyl alternative to the plywood. Or maybe some kinda vinyl veneer on the plywood. Gonna have to give it a look-see. Woulda snapped some photos, but the phone woulda drowned. I hope I finish up the J-Channel tomorrow and the corners, and maybe the starter edge too. If I do, nothing to stop me from hanging vinyl on three sides. Still gotta get my roll-up doors before I can do the front side because I have screws through the sheating to hold the blue tarps in place. I'm relatively sure that the missus would not have kind things to say about me putting screw-holes through new vinyl siding for the blue tarp-doors.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The only reason I don't keg is that I don't really have (until now) a place to put a spare refrigerator to put the kegs in. I kinda like the effects of carbonating with primer sugar. Haven't bottle bombed yet, but I know I'm pressing my luck. I've passed 30 batches a while back. I put nearly 120 bottles on the shelf yesterday. Got another recipe to run when I won't drown if I go outside. It's a Samual Adams Summer Ale knockoff. The missus didn't know, but picked up some SASA tonight. I think I like it almost as much as my Rapier Wit which is a Blue Moon clone.
Man...with home brewing roots I wish I lived closer! Always told my kids if I were homeless, my sign would be "Will work for good beer!" LOL

Keep the updates coming. As someone who built his own home from the footer up, 99 percent with his own hands (post and beam, self designed, around 3000 sq. ft. ) it is fun watching others work!

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
This was our little afternoon shower running through the ditch on the east side of my yard.
67FB34CD-2FA7-4838-A3B9-E31D92DAA965.jpeg

• Wow

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Man...with home brewing roots I wish I lived closer! Always told my kids if I were homeless, my sign would be "Will work for good beer!" LOL

Keep the updates coming. As someone who built his own home from the footer up, 99 percent with his own hands (post and beam, self designed, around 3000 sq. ft. ) it is fun watching others work!
If your travels ever bring you to the USUALLY sunny Alabama, particularly the Birmingham area, let me know, and I’ll chill some of whatever I have on the shelf and have it ready for consumption. It’s a fun hobby, but can’t say it’s cheaper than commercial stuff. Certainly tastes better and it’s been quite an educational experience. Pretty amazing stuff can be done by simply varying the fermentation temperature.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Fixed the gutter on the back side of the shed. I put a self drilling/tapping (stainless) screw in EVERY hanger through the lip of the gutter. No more separation unless something really bad happens. Got the starting strips on the east wall and j-channel around the east window. The gutter repair was a digression because of the tons of water pouring exactly where it really shouldn’t. Got some serious erosion in today’s rain and everything just keeps getting softer and muddier. Feel like I’m fighting a losing battle sometimes. I want to finish the shed, but if I don’t stop the erosion, it’s gonna slide into the ditch behind it.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
image.jpg

Siding going on. All corners and starting strips on, and installing panels as high as I can reach with no ladder first. Can’t do the wall sections around the doors until I get the roll up doors installed. I’ve got screws for holding the tarps across the door openings in the way. The plywood I used for the sheathing was a big mistake. The humidity has warped it so much if it weren’t for the screws holding it on the wall, it would be in another state by now. Makes for interesting stuff to put vinyl siding on the wall. Glad I put studs on 16 inch centers. I’d never get it pulled down flat enough to cover. Got rained out after we got the 3rd course on the west side. 9 courses on the short wall section to the right of the walk-in door, 8 on the west end, 7 on the back side, and 3 on the east end. Starting the first panel on the west end was sorta like wrestling a rhino, but it gets easier after the first one is done.
More noticeable progress.

Reactions: 3 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
View attachment 63549

Siding going on. All corners and starting strips on, and installing panels as high as I can reach with no ladder first. Can’t do the wall sections around the doors until I get the roll up doors installed. I’ve got screws for holding the tarps across the door openings in the way. The plywood I used for the sheathing was a big mistake. The humidity has warped it so much if it weren’t for the screws holding it on the wall, it would be in another state by now. Makes for interesting stuff to put vinyl siding on the wall. Glad I put studs on 16 inch centers. I’d never get it pulled down flat enough to cover. Got rained out after we got the 3rd course on the west side. 9 courses on the short wall section to the right of the walk-in door, 8 on the west end, 7 on the back side, and 3 on the east end. Starting the first panel on the west end was sorta like wrestling a rhino, but it gets easier after the first one is done.
More noticeable progress.
Gotta ask...how were you able to get in between the old shed and new, to attach the siding? Maybe your screen name should be Old “skinny“ Paint. LOL

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Gotta ask...how were you able to get in between the old shed and new, to attach the siding? Maybe your screen name should be Old “skinny“ Paint. LOL
There's more room than appears in that camera angle, but the side of the old shed is getting pretty clean with the traffic through there. I can actually walk through there, but then again, I have to run around in the shower to get wet. The missus says I can stay dry under a clothesline in a rain storm. Seriously, when I started this project, I weighed 195. I now weigh 168. The heat/humidity has slimmed me down quite nicely. Got rid of a lotta inactivity weight from being outta commission with the shoulder surgeries. Shoulders are doing nicely, but the left still gets a little sore if I do too much reaching up, so I'm having to pace this siding install. Much easier on my old joints carrying 30 pounds less weight around, however, the dehydration at times is pretty rough on the ticker. I have to be very careful and keep plenty water in me. I keep a 3 gallon Gatorade cooler nearby with WATER in it. I'll have maybe two pints of Sports drink through the day, but the rest is good ol' High Quality H2O. I have Bradycardia (low heart rate) and if I get still a few minutes, my heart rate may drop down in the 30's, which is not good if my BP drops with it. Haven't ever passed out, but came pretty close a few times. Cardiologist waved a pacemaker in my face last time I went. Every time I go, seems my rate is dropping a bit lower. The only good part about Bradycardia is that it makes me an expert at taking grampa naps.

We'd just finished having a lunch break, and got a little surprise, but I'm not sure who was more surprised, us or the doe that walked up being curious in broad daylight. My granddaughter walked out of the shed and startled the deer, which then scared her. The doe bolted into the neighbor's yard and I managed to get my phone out and snap a quick photo before she got away. Strange part is, the direction she came from, she must have just walked down our street having a good snoop of the neighborhood.
IMG_2799[1].JPG

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Soffit started on the front wall.
23FE9A54-52D0-4F63-BA4A-4B542910D610.jpeg
E76F9269-3C79-46F4-847D-41D62E1A6ED9.jpeg

May finish the front wall tomorrow
9 courses done on both ends. Did 6 of ‘em by myself on the east wall yesterday before anyone else got outta bed
9716697D-F57A-4083-B9E3-7EBAE04CDA79.jpeg

4E1B82DB-E1ED-4B70-A587-AACF9EAFECFF.jpeg

Fatman’s Squeeze aka the west wall.
Picked up pavers today for the stoop in front of the walk-in door. Gonna make that 4x12 for a little sitting area for when the weather is cooperating. Might add a lean to over it later.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
6C78A4CF-CCB2-457B-89C6-66FE8E21E8E0.jpeg

Front outside wall FINISHED!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Absolutely love it!!
Thanks for the flowers. Not too shabby for my first siding job. Learned lots and most of it was to follow my instincts. Figured out that I’m about 10 pieces short on the vinyl. Doh!