Shed upgrade started

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
And I have determined gutters are going to be absolutely necessary. That’s a lotta roof draining and making a huge mess on the sides of the building.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Let’s try this again…..

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
And this…..

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Hmmm, what to do next, concrete apron on the front, vinyl siding, or gutters? Gutters it is, simply because that's what I have materials to do. Bought some different gutter guards, called Gutter Stuff. Foam with some kinda special treatement that has bacteriacide, etc, etc. Wonder how long that's gonna last.

One thing I've learned about companies that make gutter products is that they don't make everything they need to make. I got gutters, 'invisible' hangers that are a little visible, downspouts, on and on, but the one thing I could not find is a gutter guard that would clip into the tops of the hangers which have slots for that very purpose. Had it explained to me by the 'expert' at Lowe's that the hanger was to put the gutter up. Well, DUUUUUUUUHHHHHH. I figured that out all by myself. So WHERE is the gutter guard that actually fits on TOP of the hanger? "Well, sometimes manufacturers send us whatever they want, and we don't get all the parts for a complete system." Yes folks, that was the actual answer. I'll refer everyone back to the thread about "Parents should be ashamed". This is what happens when 30 somethings operate a big-box store, but have NO CLUE what folks really need or when a manufacturer is selling them an incomplete product. I wanted aluminum gutters, but they were beat up so badly and chafed that I would have to spray paint every section just so I could actually use it. One would think the store would comp me a can of semi-gloss spray paint since I'm forced to buy a defected product. Nope. Not happenin'. So I switched to the vinyl which seems to have no matching part for the gutter guard. I had a severe headache by the time I left Lowe's yesterday, and the frustration made me completely forget that I also needed a buried valve access pit. Then, when I got everything made up, I looked at the existing water main, and then at my new line to the shed. Uh oh. Somehow, I remembered the water feed to my house being 1" PVC. I was VERY wrong. It was 3/4". Well, I need the valve pit, so off to Home Depot first thing this morning. Hang on, that was actually about 3rd thing. First thing was connecting 50 feet of PVC pipe in 10 foot sections. Second was connecting it to the stub going into the shed. 3rd was going after the valve pit and reducer bushings. Cut the water off at the meter, closed the valve in the house, and cut the water main feeding my house. Popped in the T connection (with the very recently purchased reducers installed). Sat on the deck and had a Gatorade. My son came over just before I finished turning five 10 foot lengths into one 50 foot pipe and helped by cleaning out the trench in a few places to make sure I stayed below frost line, and rode to Home Depot with me to get the bits I forgot at Lowe's the day before, or didn't realize I needed. Sadly, I'd uncovered the main water line two days ago, and STILL didn't check the size nor even notice it was 3/4 pipe, not 1 inch. I felt like a complete idiot, but fortunately, did not cut the pipe to the house until I was sure I could complete the job in 30 minutes or less. Then I read the label on the glue can. This stuff looked like something I've blown out of my nose with a really bad sinus infection, and required TWO HOURS before applying full pressure to the pipe. If you know anything about city water supply, it's either full pressure, or OFF. So, my optimistic estimate to my wife about 30 minutes max water outage went to hell in a handbasket. She was not impressed with my change of plan, but being the wonderful woman she is, she, like me, blamed it on the crappy PVC pipe glue that takes so long to set. My eldest granddaughter slept through most of the drama, but showed up just about the time it was time to turn the water back on. She'd been out feeding and walking a neighbor's dogs.

FINALLY, I get the water turned back on at noon with the house still valved off, and the valve to the shop turned off to check the new Tee for a leak. Cool, no leaks. Opened the valve in the garage, and on the front of the house to blow out anything I might have got in the pipe as well as bleed some air. Turned the tap on the front of the house off. Still, no leaks. Opened the valve in the pit to pressurize the line to the shop. COOL BEANS! No leaks! Opened the valve inside the shop to feed the sill-cock on the front wall. FIGJAM!!!! No leaks! Purged the lines with a hose attached to the new sill-cock on the shed, and all is good.

Fired up the LX2610SU. Swapped the SS for the QH + BB, lost (and found) one of the pins for the stabilizers, and then pulled all the soil back into the trench. I'm liking the lack of shoveling, raking, and hoeing. Time for lunch.

Got the other itty bitty orange tractor out, and let my son cut the lawn. Had him spread the clippings on the area where I trenched for the waterline to give it a chance to grow some grass before the next monsoon. I got the Swisher Predator brush cutter out, and decided to let it abuse me. Crushed my right hand between the handle bar and a tree. Only once, though, and didn't lose more than a half cup of blood. Found a yellow jacket nest, which I've been waiting for since May. A lot of 'em died after ONE stung me four times. They're not done dying yet. One asked me about getting a drink of 87 octane, and I promised to bring some by.

Eventful day finally ended around 4 PM, that's 1600 to you military folks, and decided it was time for a nice cold Rapier Wit home brewed beer. And after that, a McSorley's Black and Tan (also home brewed). The temperature has dropped nearly 20 degrees at this point because it rained everywhere around us, EXCEPT in my yard. It's OK, though, because it rained ONLY in my yard the other day when I was trying to dig the trench.

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Paint, I tried the gutter stuff, I found it restricted the flow during heavy rain (summer thunderstorms) and would get overflow shooting across the gutter top. If you have seeds, pollen they get clogged, and I've seen them grow weeds. I ended up removing them from the gutters after about a year. Back to using cheap plastic guards (that also suck).

You may have better luck because there are no valleys in your roof, but just keep an eye on them, particularly when you get heavy rain.

your new garage is looking awesome.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Thanks for the advisory. I've got a pretty low pitch (3:12), so I'm hoping the water isn't in too big a hurry when it gets to the end of the sheet metal. I've got some concerns about pine straw, water oak leaves, and even a sweet gum that's pretty close, and very likely to dump stuff on the roof. Hindsight's 20/20, but wish I'd doubled up on the purlins and screws so I could easily walk on it to clean it when it needs it. Not impossible to fix, but not very easy, either. All it costs is money and some hard work in a very crowded overhead with all the trusses. I'm committed to the Gutter Stuff now because I've already bought it. That stuff's pricey. Nearly $120 for the amount I needed (18 pieces). Have to buy a lot more for a discount, but I don't need more.

I got a sneaking suspicion that in extremely heavy rains, the water's going to overshoot the gutters anyway. At the recommendation of the roofing supplier, I put a 2" overhang past the facia. I'm thinking that might be a little too much for gutters. We'll see. Not sure a 3x4 downspout is gonna handle that much roof anyway. May wind up putting in two (one at each end) on each side. I'll start with one, but going into it with wide open eyes knowing I may have to adjust the slope to accommodate another downspout. I used PVC trim board, so it should be easy enough to correct if I have to. Again, Mother Nature will let me know. I've got three downspouts on my house, total, all of which drain sections of roof with nearly the same square footage, if not more. They are smaller downspouts, and keep ripping themselves loose from the anchors. A valley feeds into the front and rear gutters, and yep, water shoots right over the gutter on both. I've got composite decking and vinyl railings on the front porch, so that just breaks up the waterfall. Somehow, it ain't making a hole in the back either, but I'm not exactly sure where it's hitting. And, of course, every bit of the run-off from the house and yard goes straight at the new shed. DOH!

I looked at the plastic guards, and couldn't make sense how I was going to get them to stay put with a metal roof, especially with the hangers for the gutter that I bought. I guess the procedure is to loosen the bottom row of screws to insert the guard under the edge, lock it into the lip of the gutter, then clamp down on the back edge of the guard by tightening the screws back. I also looked at some powder coated steel screens, but as soon as I saw it was mild steel, I skipped to the next product. I have no interest in rusty streaks all down the side of my shed. I do want to reject as much debris as possible, and if that means occasionally cleaning the guards, then that's the plan. I may just spray some herbicide (RoundUp?) on it any time I see anything green up there. Got a pretty good bird's eye view of the roof from my deck, so shouldn't take much to know when I need to handle the problem. If I put a rain tank in (for the drier parts of summer), I'll have to make sure I divert any rinse water away from the tank so I don't kill my whole yard by watering with diluted RoundUp. The guards are primarily to keep the downspouts from clogging, but I also want a contingency in place to keep from filling up a tank with sediment. Mostly, it's about erosion control around the slab.

Another project this added was a diverter wall in the ditch. With all the heavy rain this year, I see where the water is trying to cut it's way across the yard and into a confluent ditch, bypassing the culvert I put in back in the spring, and leaving me with another problem. I'm going to set RR ties at the edge, and give the water something to slam into and slow down a little in the turn. This will also let me put in a retainer wall behind the shed and control the run-off from it too. I'm figuring some shade loving plants/shrubs/groundcover behind there just to keep the privet at bay. I want to keep the shade on the roof because it'll keep the shed a lot cooler in the summer. I'm building it for a hobby spot, and a hobby spot isn't much use if you can't stay in it. It may get a little window unit put in the back wall just to dehumidify it a little. We have two kinds of weather in Alabama. Muggy, and muggier.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Got the gutter installed on the front side of the shop. Amazing how much difference it makes for splashing mud on the walls and door. Back side is a little trickier but really not hard to do, skills wise. Just a lot of ladder wrangling and climbing. I think I’ll put the Gutter Stuff in before I install the gutter so I don’t have to climb quite as many times.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Sounds good and about time for some update pictures here. ;)
Ask, and it shall be given

Gutters done, drain pipes installed to direct some of the runoff away from the slab.

Putting up gutters solo is a little challenging. Glad they were 10 foot vinyl sections. However, the couplings that supposedly required no sealer leaked like a sieve with a moderate rainfall. Well, what we call moderate in Alabama. Didn’t see it coming over the gutters much, but the seals on the couplings were pretty pitiful looks like I’m going back up with a tube of silicone. I want all this outside climbing behind me. The back side is a PITA for managing ladder safety. Hard to get a good footing with the ladder.
Without further adieu, ……

image.jpg

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
That is a very professionally done roof job sir. (y)

OK, I'll get a bag of popcorn and wait for your next installment. ;)

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
That is a very professionally done roof job sir. (y)

OK, I'll get a bag of popcorn and wait for your next installment. ;)
Thanks for the flowers, but, believe it or not, that’s the first roof I’ve ever done. Professional? Well, as the profession goes these days, maybe. I would have done a few things a little differently if material prices weren’t so prohibitive. I would certainly have doubled the purlins to make it sturdy enough to walk on any part of the roof. I have to make sure I stay near a purlin as it is. Hindsight is 20/20. The sheet metal is so thin it needs more support to prevent creases and buckling. I helped put a “tin” roof on a barn when I was a kid, but the sheeting for that was a lot thicker and stronger. Drove many a lead head nail on the ridges of the 5 V sheet. This stuff has to have the screws put in the flats. Just goes against everything I learned about preventing leaks. The SIL helped me with the sheets, but I did all the trim (rake and cap and drip edge) by myself. We put the sheets on in one day.

I’m definitely ready to be done with the roof. Too much laddering for me.

Scheduled for final inspection tomorrow. Water line is also done. Had two pinhole leaks show up.I’m pretty sure it was my fault that I accidentally twisted a couple fresh glue joints when I was test fitting for the sill cock. Fixed the second leak today. The only thing I don’t like about pvc pipe is the waste when a joint leaks. Gotta cut it up and start over.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Thanks for the flowers, but, believe it or not, that’s the first roof I’ve ever done. Professional?
So you are now a Professional with enough experience to know to move on to anything other than a roof. (y) Believe me, I understand. I also have the "roofing T shirt". ;)

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Paint, I have had trouble with those vinyl gutters leaking at the seams as well. Never could get them to stop leaking. Oh and that flex seal stuff you can make a boat out of? Yeah that didn’t stop it either. That’s why we went with seamless gutters. Had a guy come put and he made them on the spot. It wasn’t that expensive. We have a 40x60 pole barn and I put the gutters on the long sides. 6 inch gutters. The guy that built my barn threw them up at the end of the barn build Because it was 13 feet in the air (Didn’t charge me for that). I think it was like $400 to make them. We have only one downspout on each side and it is a 4 inch. Handles the rain just fine. I live in south MS so yeah we get rain! Has been a monsoon this year. We normally get about 65 in of rain a year. We have had over that already and it is only mid July. Glad we have gutters!

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
As it turns out, can't get final inspection until the siding is on. Not sure why, considering it's 'unattached storage" Nothing says it has to have siding on it at all. But, something tells me I'm in for a long run with this inspector. First one (the current chief inspector for the city) told me all I had to do is get the framing and plumbing complete. This one's telling me I need the siding up. So, next time I call him, siding will be on, new aprons will be poured/finished, and roll-up doors will be installed.

Leveled a pad to add a 4 foot slab/ramp across the front today, and formed the first section of the pad. Gonna wind up with a nice little spot for a couple chairs and small table between the walk-in door and the adjacent bay door. Gonna add one more little narrow (sacrificial) edge to the apron so I don't have to hop a curb with the tractor.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
That's a fine looking shed!
Love the garage doors too, blue contrasts nicely with the roof. :)
Yeah, I thought about making them permanent. The missus says no. They won't go with the siding when I get it.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Siding purchased. Was supposed to rain today, so we figured it would be a good idea to get as much done for the front apron as possible. I had two objectives. I need to get in and out of the shed with all wheeled equipment without cutting a tire, and I need to be able to get in and out without tracking huge piles of mud in. So after much discussion (and buying a yard of 57 gravel, this is what happened.
5BF9B3D8-B2F4-42B9-8436-8F92D54114D9.jpeg

The space inside the obvious form is going to get pavers with sand/cement mix, and the gravel area in front of the two big doors is gonna get more gravel. Within 5 minutes of the photo, the new gravel and grading was christened with a Central Alabama frog strangler. I decided that rather than have a risk of a broken ramp, I’d put in gravel and endure the maintenance. Not to mention the missus was mumbling something about a strike if I showed up with 95 bags (80 lb) of Sakrete, Quikrete, or any other concrete in a bag product. I shoveled every rock in the gravel ramp and pad, and some of it 3 times (because I didn’t listen to my own conscience). Bottom line, no more mud at the walk-in door, and no more splatter on the sides.

Reactions: 4 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Then I suppose that the frog wasn't completely strangled so it hopped on over here.
Image0163a.jpg

Thanks..... :rolleyes:

• Wow

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Then I suppose that the frog wasn't completely strangled so it hopped on over here.
View attachment 63158
Thanks..... :rolleyes:
Actually, I think that's what ended up over here. We usually get our weather from your direction. So that might have been a Mississippi frog after all. I thought he had a strange accent. :sneaky:

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Had all kinds of projections that it was supposed to rain again all of today, so elected to take a day off from the shed project and handle another relatively important project. I had 10 gallons of home brew beer that needed bottling. So I got up, washed/sanitized 120 bottles, and watched a rather glorious sunny day through the kitchen window whilst cleaning said bottles. Racked the beer from fermenter #1 in to the bottling bucket. Sun's still shining. Bottled 51 bottles, capped, and in the boxes for conditioning. Sun's still shining. Brought up the second fermenter, racked it into the bottling bucket. Yep, sun's still shining. My grand daughter spray painted some stuff in the back yard and left it in the sun to dry. I'm still inside filling another 59 bottles of a new beer recipe for me to try out. Labels on the boxes, boxes stowed, mess cleaned up, now it's cloudy. Just because I was gonna go put the flashing on the second bay door, it's gotta cloud up and start raining. Can't buy a break.