Seat replacement...Ebay or Dealer?

CJN8

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, Gearmore Box Blade, Bush Hog, Cimmeron Rake
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
Simple enough question. Replacing a worn out seat on the B7200 HSTD and was wondering should I just get a seat from Ebay? They run about 110-125 dollars or should I go to the dealership and get on for about 145-150 dollars?

Thanks
Nate

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
EBay! They both sell the same seat, your just not paying the dealer mark-up.;)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
If I were replacing a seat, I would get a price from the dealer, then check ebay. If the price on ebay combined with the shipping was cheaper, then I would go that route. They are the same seat, as Idaho said.
If the dealer were close or the same, I would buy from them. If I can afford it, I prefer to support the local business.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
You might want to check with a local upholstery shop and see if they can reskin it for less.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I was fixin to ask this same question myself. My the metal on my seat is find I just need new cover and foam cushion. Didn't know where to go look or gotten that far into investigating yet.

I think someone sells a repair kit.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
You might want to check with a local upholstery shop and see if they can reskin it for less.
There are quite a few upholsterers around the nearby Manheim Auto Auction and they do magic on all sorts of things. One of them replaced a panel in the driver's bucket seat in my company truck and it looks like factory new. Another did a custom bed cover for an El Camino that I had back when.

Another route could be a suspension seat from AgriSupply. My B7500 used to slap me silly when hitting sharp bumps. The AS suspension seat cured that for the last 6 or so years I had it. The only problem (don't tell the ROPS cops) was that it required the removal of the seat belt for clearance. With no ROPS I preferred not to be strapped to the tractor anyway. When I sold the B7500 I did re-install the original seat, seat belt & ROPS. The suspension seat was still in great shape so I donated it to a towmotor at work.

landphil

Equipment
B8200 backhoe brushhog gannon tiller disc snowblade
Jun 22, 2011
Flagstaff ,AZ
You can sometimes easily replace the foam and fabric yourself easily! I ckecked out a utube video and was surprised how easy it is. cost me about $50 bucks in material, marine upholstery fabric foam and spray adhesive.

CJN8

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, Gearmore Box Blade, Bush Hog, Cimmeron Rake
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
All great points fellas. I think i am going to go the dealer route. I have been going in about once a week now since i bought the new to me B7200 to get odds and ends, they have had everything in stock so far. The guys are real nice and have even thrown in some o-rings for my hydraulic fluid strainers for free when i bought all my filters. Little things like that go a long way right?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
O-rings cost pennies, so the gesture has more value than the sacrifice. It is your money and your decision, so please don't take this as ridicule- if you are happy with your decision, then that's all that is on the table.
At least price shop the same seat- a dealer isn't going to deal in volume on seats, so it is pretty likely that you will pay more there, maybe considerably more. If nothing else, see if the dealer will negotiate the price, seeing as how much business you have given them lately.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Has anyone mentioned '..have you looked at the seat Wildfire has on his BX ?...its the 'SuperSofteeArmRestsMemoryFoamDeluxe5000withLeather'...if it was me...I'd buy after market. And it would have all the bells and whistles.
But that's just me.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You have to make sure you are buying what you want for a seat. There are a lot of aftermarket seats out there that say they are direct replacement for OEM seats. When you get them they kind of fit and are not shaped the same as the original. If aren't looking for the exact same thing that isn't a problem. If yo want your new one to be just like the old one was, then you end up being SOL.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Where does one go to find a foam and vinyl rebuild kit?!?!
I took the seat off my old green and yellow tractor and took it to an upholstery shop I had used before with good results for a truck seat and an antique car. They rebuilt my JD seat for $60 3 years ago.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Just had my seat re-upholstered this year. It was almost 1/2 the cost of a new seat which would have cost $300 at the dealer. They did as good a job as they could but the original seat had the vinyl heat formed to the foam and had unique drain passages. I wish I had just purchased a new one from the dealer. Aftermarket seats were junk and eBay was out of the question due to cost of getting anything up here.