Scarifier or Rake?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
This is the pin that would go into the top arm (the ones that actually are moved by the tractor hydraulics)
http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/images_products/lower_lift_arm_link_pin_7408big.jpg

A vertical lift rod similar to this would then slide over the pin and be held in place with a lynch pin
http://www.brokentractor.com/admin/files/parts/SBA370200220a.jpg

This lets the lower arms move in or out as needed without putting any torque into the upper arm.

When looking around I did see some pictures similar to what you have so maybe I am just plain wrong.

How do you install an implement? It seems you would have to remove the vertical arms to get enough sideways movement of the lower arms to go over the pins on the implement.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
This is a scarifier I built for a neighbor to drag around behind his green tractor to scratch the ground for seed planting.
Built it out of scrap stuff I had laying around. Sides were an old trailer ramp sides, drill pipe for the cross pieces and sucker rod for the tines.

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
How do you install an implement? It seems you would have to remove the vertical arms to get enough sideways movement of the lower arms to go over the pins on the implement.
Before attaching I loosened the turnbuckles, spread the arms and connected. Raised it up and then attached and adjusted the top link. Problem is the lower links don't stay in position.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Tom, don't the turnbuckles hold the lower links where you put them? That locking nut is suppose to prevent any changes without your permission!!

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Tom, don't the turnbuckles hold the lower links where you put them? That locking nut is suppose to prevent any changes without your permission!!

They're not holding. Maybe they're drifting without permission, AWOL where I come from! :rolleyes: Might be the problem.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I am still confounded by what is happening. At the tractor end of the lower lift arms it seems like you have several inches that the arm can slide in or out on. Is there any way to put both arms against the tractor and lock them there with a pin? Is this where you are getting movement and binding?

I remember seeing someone post about bending a pin similar to where you lower lift arms attach. I will try to find that to see what the pin they had looked like.

On my tractor - which is very different than yours! - the lower lift arms attach at both ends to lift arm pins similar to this:
http://www.agrisupply.com/lift-arm-pin/p/28588/

Each end of the lower lift arms have pivoting holes similar to these.
http://media.tractorsupply.com/is/i...y/0265066?rect=0,0,480,480&scl=1.25&id=eric20

The arms are held in place on the pin with a lynch pin similar to this:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg;-lynch-pin-7-16-in-heavy-duty-s070913tsc

I'll try to find the other post and link it to here if I find it.

Found it! Look at this and see if any of it would help. I don't see what keeps the tractor end of these arms from moving either??
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16890&highlight=bent

Last edited:

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
I am still confounded by what is happening. At the tractor end of the lower lift arms it seems like you have several inches that the arm can slide in or out on. Is there any way to put both arms against the tractor and lock them there with a pin? Is this where you are getting movement and binding?
I need the lower arms to be spread as much as possible so they don't bind when I raise them. There isn't any way to lock them in the spread position that I'm aware of other than the turnbuckles. It's frustrating especially because I've had to postpone building my box blade and disc cultivator.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Can you install a tube/pipe spacer on the rods at the tractor end to hold the rods out?

Then the turnbuckles may not have enough angle?

Perhaps put a spacer on both sides of the lift arm to hold it kind of centered on the rod?

My turnbuckles attach out closer to the rear wheels, but I think where yours are is the correct place from looking at the other post.

Did you notice on that post how the vertical lift arm had some type of flexible joint? What is binding on what? The vertical arm on the lower arm? Or the lower arm on the pin?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Looks to me like those lift arms are possibly from another tractor, and missing the upper swivels. Here is a pic of mine for reference.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
TC, that AWOL stuff is no good! It appears your set up was not designed for much adjustment width wise. You're going to need to change out or modify the lift arms for some flexibility like Russell King shows.

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Now I need to start from scratch and have new arms fab'd?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I don't think so. Looks to me like your just missing the upper end of that swivel. And mine are sort of cocked on the bottom allowing the main lift bars to remain vertical when angled out. But how you approach it is up to you and your resources.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Russell's last link shows the swivel joints on top just like mine.

I just noticed that both sides of yours are adjustable. To start with, that's not normal and likely indicates some swapping. They also appear somewhat heavy for the tractor, and the bottom looks to have been cut off and rewelded as short as possible (and with no angle), which fits with the "came off a bigger tractor" theory. They should also be adjustable for length without disconnecting, and yours don't appear to be supporting that. And perhaps it still wasn't quite short enough, so they removed the little u-joint like at the top. If all that's true, and you don't have room to fix it without making it too long, then yes, you may be looking at finding replacements, or fabricating something new.

Last edited:

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Thanks to all for the input. I will try to get to a shop and get new arms made ASAP.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok let me see if I'm understanding things right?
Do the arms extend outward from each other when you lift the three point?
If that's your problem its the way you have the turn buckles attached to the bar that's causing that to happen, they need to rotate as the arm move up, attach a piece of pipe with a tab for it to rotate (like in yellow on the pic).
Also take some pipe and put some sleeves behind the arms to keep them from hitting the differential case.

The arms and lift arms are fine from what I see, the only other issue is that the spread on your implement hook up is too narrow, it should be 26" apart (look on chart for cat 1). If you can achieve that with your arms then you will need them remade or bent to a zig zag fashion ( like the ones in top picture) to get the width you need.

Attachments

Last edited:

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I think he's missing 11, which preventing the arms (10) from moving in and out. If that is combined with turnbuckles that don't rotate as you suggest, then the turn buckles try to force the arms out going up, but that binds up the rigid double shear mounts which fight to keep the lower arms directly below the upper. Even if it had the bent lower arms you see on some of the smaller tractors, which would allow more typical spacing, and the turnbuckles do rotate on the same axis as the lower arms preventing the pull out as it goes up, it still seems like the lack of 11 being able to adjust in and out properly would be a problem.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes articulation on #11 could add to the problem, but it won't make the arms move out as they pull up, but the lower inside turn buckles not rotating with the arms as they lift will cause the dimension to shorten as they lift thus causing the arms to move out and bind.

I'm just throwing this out there as I'm not 100% sure of the whole issue.

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Ok, I thought I had it figured out but now I'm getting more confused. The problem I'm having is the lower arms are moving in towards the tractor centerline not out. Also, the maximum spread I can achieve is 31cm. Nowhere near the 26" spread in the chart.