Roundabouts

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Or rather roundabout signs. I thought about putting these on Daily Chuckle, but didn't want to clutter it. Are roundabouts becoming as widespread everywhere like they are in my little old hometown? I know they've been used across the pond for a long time, and there have been some scattered in the US. But until 25 years ago or so, the only one was what is now referred to as 'the original roundabout', the courthouse square. Someone told me there were 17, but the last time I visited there were 3 more under construction, on one 1/2 mile stretch of road.

The roundabouts themselves are marvelous in their diversity, some one some two lanes, no two alike.

But what amuses me are the signs.

I was going to leave this one 'til last, but they're never ending. Besides, it reminds me of my mental state:

0826181257.jpg

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
The roundabouts themselves are marvelous in their diversity, some one some two lanes, no two alike.
They are a great money maker…local attorney built a brand new building on one of ours and installed cameras around it 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
We have a few in this area. Some in the cities, some on state highways. There is a Walmart distribution center about 20 miles from one on a st. highway and the state did not make it with a radius the trucks could negotiate very easily. There was landscaping in the center, but the trucks pulling trailers were curbing their tires all the time and some just went straight on through. After a few times of trying to beautify the center they let that be and cut ridges in the asphalt to notify the drivers to slow down, and ground the curbs down. Until you're use to them and familiar with the yield process it is confusing.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Until you're use to them and familiar with the yield process it is confusing.
They aren’t that confusing though 🤣 the circle I posted the attorney built his new office on has been here a long time! There are accidents on it daily 😂 it’s not that complicated

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
They were common in New Jersey where I grew up, so I know how to navigate them. The biggest problem that I see with them is those people that don't understand that they have to yield to traffic already in the "circle" or "roundabout". I love it when the local police department stations themselves at the outer edge of the circle and watch for people who "gun it" rather than yield to the cars already moving through the circle.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
GF grew up in the sticks. Literally, in the sticks. She's a city girl but ain't spend much time in the "city"

local city here has tons of them, I think about 60 roundabouts. They serve a purpose. That purpose depends on the person who's attempting to navigate it.

Me? If I'm in the truck, several different color body panels, dings dents, parts missing...if you don't yield, you're not gonna get much a brake, and 8,000 lbs of Phord won't feel too good. But I may not feel much. If I'm in the car, check for traffic, cops, hammer down drift! If the GF is navigating the roundabout? Drive around in circles a few times until figure out which way I want to go. Or, get dizzy...whichever happens first. most of them have cameras on them now so if there's a wreck, which there is (often!), just get a court order for the "tape" and use it for evidence. I ain't had to do it, others have, and supposedly that's how it works. I personally don't know.

Stupid idiots leading the town here have no clue about roads. I moved here when it was a population of about 18,000. It's over 100,000 now and the same exact roads are still in place. One artery road was improved about 20 years ago, it "was" better and it could have been a LOT better but the dang mayor spent a few hundred grand in studying "access management" and nothing was done to alleviate it's many problems--they just keep putting up more and more signals, which slows the traffic. That's not how it's supposed to work. BUT what I found out was that some businesses lobbied the highway and/or street dept's to install signals to slow traffic down at that point, which makes drivers more likely to stop at businesses. Really a sorry deal, and the former mayor was in on this-big time. Then all the narrow roads now carrying 50,000-60,000 cars a day, they were designed to carry under 10,000 a day, so they are falling apart completely. I mean totally falling apart from the bottom (base) up. So I approach the council a couple years ago and made it known what I have seen, with photo's of the roads from the 1980's comparing them to the present. Same streets. Photos also of the damages. The council and the current mayor agreed that it is a #1 priority to repair the damage. Great I'm getting somewhere. Well? The main roads that are getting repaired are the ones that the mayor wants repaired...the street he lives on, his family lives on, and his fellow friends/colleagues/former coworkers live on. And when I say 'repaired', those are totally rebuilt as such. But the main ones through town? Cheap, diluted overlays, which last less than a year. I lived off a road in town for a long time. It was gravel for decades and I was fine with that. City came in one day and said we're gonna pave your road. Great, no more dust, right? They got it done. BUT...they didn't use the original base, they dug it all up and laid more of that cheap diluted asphault on it. Within 8 months it was completely fallen apart. I called the city engineer who was in charge of the project and actually met him at the street in question and his response was "what in the world has happened"? Well dumb butt, your cronies made the call to dig up the base-which has stood up to farm equipment, big trucks, cars, everything...for over 50 years, it was a great base for pavement to go right on top, yet you tossed a bunch of cheap shale down on it, run it over with a couple of 555 New Holland tractors which accomplished nothing, and dumped a bunch of junk asphault on it, what'd you expect to happen? His response? "It's better than it was." Boy, I was fuming mad. So they spend $900,000 in that project, and within one year had to re-do the entire thing, which that lasted less than 5 years and they resurfaced it (again) for the 4th time this spring, and it's also beginning to fall in. Where'd our tax money go? You bet! Wasted! Again. And those people wonder why we don't have a lot of trust in them. Take money we worked for and then throw it away.

So with all the narrow roads that can carry the traffic volume of a city of 20,000 folks, now carrying 5x that, they had to figure something out. ROUNDABOUTS. They work, most of the time. There's a couple that are really poorly designed. I can think of one that has 5 entrance/exits rather than 4, quite confusing and none of it marked very well. You just have to know where to be. Another one, 2 lanes on one side 3 on the other, and if you are in the RH lane of the 3 lane side, you are forced onto the freeway with no signage as such. GF hates and avoids that one. One roundabout near that, other side actually, you get off the freeway to a lane that doesn't exist, well it's hash marked off, sorta, but if you end up in that one lane, it takes you the WRONG WAY down a side road. Whoever designed that needs their head examined. Probalbly same people who designed the shopping center near it. Come out of a roundabout to the shopping center access road, which is a turning lane only. So people get confused, they don't wanna turn there so they hurry up and change lanes and whack the car next to them. It happens many times daily.

If you're going to design a roundabout, use thought. Think about the fact that uncommon sense runs rampant, as does ignorance and stupid. You gotta make them elementary in design so that a kindergartner can figure them out. if not, you're fixing to have problems.

Oh BTW seen a big truck run over a car on the one by the freeway last week. I mean the trailer run plum over the little car. Yep, roundabouts can work, but only if the drivers that use them have at least the slightest clue--which most don't seem to posses that gift.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
They are all about minimizing t bone accidents and replacing them with front offset accidents with hopefully lower speeds involved.

I just wish people realized they are not supposed to be a stop, merely a give way. Ideally people adjust speeds and join in on the loop and of course use their turn signals.

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
They are all about minimizing t bone accidents and replacing them with front offset accidents with hopefully lower speeds involved.

I just wish people realized they are not supposed to be a stop, merely a give way. Ideally people adjust speeds and join in on the loop and of course use their turn signals.
I wish they'd put roundabouts on drivers tests and fail anybody who stops when there's no traffic in the roundabout.

I don't know why anyone who isn't a pedestrian would want a traffic light instead of a roundabout. I hate idling at a stop light for two minutes or stopping for a changing light when there is NO vehicles in the intersection. Or driving through town where every freaking light is synchronized to "slow traffic" by making you stop at every light.

Waste of gas. Pollution hot zones. Waste of time. Creates road rage by pissing people off.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Lots around here. Be glad you have the sign. I still see folks going around them the wrong way.

THAT'LL stain your shorts !

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Not a lot of roundabouts where I live now, but I’ve always found them a pain. Directions via Google, etc are fun. Take the second turn to stay on the same road, etc.

There are some that beautify and area after the destroy the existing beauty. ;)

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Wisconsin has roundabout fever. They are everywhere now. At first I was skeptical, but when they changed an intersection by me from 4 way stop to a roundabout, it moved traffic much better. Still have to drive defensively though. The people that didn’t get the 4 way stop thing also don’t get the roundabout

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Or rather roundabout signs. I thought about putting these on Daily Chuckle, but didn't want to clutter it. Are roundabouts becoming as widespread everywhere like they are in my little old hometown? I know they've been used across the pond for a long time, and there have been some scattered in the US. But until 25 years ago or so, the only one was what is now referred to as 'the original roundabout', the courthouse square. Someone told me there were 17, but the last time I visited there were 3 more under construction, on one 1/2 mile stretch of road.

But what amuses me are the signs.

I was going to leave this one 'til last, but they're never ending. Besides, it reminds me of my mental state:

View attachment 83979
"roundabouts" have been in the US since before the automobile was invented.
Their introduction was in New England, where they are referred to as "rotaries'.
On entering, one must yield to traffic already in the rotary, but this is sometimes not understood.
I have a small but loud air horn on my Corolla, that I use to remind folks of this requirement.
In this day and age, I suppose I risk getting shot.

Last edited:

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Personally I like Roundabouts as traffic flows through them pretty easily and the only times I have ever seen backups from them is when one person stops and sits there waiting for the thing to empty.

On the topic of traffic intersections look at the Diverging Diamond Intersection. The city near me has a test bridge with this on it and it is the slickest thing. No more trying to turn onto the on ramp of the interstate across a busy intersection or waiting for a turn arrow to allow you through. Also you get to go through a Chicane if you are continuing straight and those are always fun.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I grew up in Jersey where 'circles' are (or were) common. There is a big difference between a traffic circle and the current 'roundabout' in that the roundabout is a much tighter circumference. The ones that are being built where I live, including one that replaced a well functioning traffic circle, have two tight lanes around them and that causes a lot of confusion and occasional crashes because people don't know which lane they should use. Even drivers who understand how to use the lanes get caught up because the roundabout is so small there is very little space to move between the inside lane and the outside lane to get out of the roundabout. Also, that tight circumference forces tractor trailers to use both lanes within the roundabout in order to be able to get around it. I believe the implementation of these tight roundabouts is intended to help slow traffic as part of my states policy of changing roads to decrease average speed.

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
More and more here in Indiana. What I can’t stand is the 2 lane roundabouts. They expect the roundabout to be a god send for some extremely busy intersections or use them to slow traffic speed on rural roads. Can’t wait to see the 4 lane roundabout.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
More and more here in Indiana. What I can’t stand is the 2 lane roundabouts. They expect the roundabout to be a god send for some extremely busy intersections or use them to slow traffic speed on rural roads. Can’t wait to see the 4 lane roundabout.
There's a pair on each end of a highway overpass. Besides the signs, there are arrows and highway markers painted on the pavement. I'm convinced it's impossible to traverse the thing without violating some instruction!

58Ford

Equipment
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Lol! Only 4 lanes. Bigger roundabouts than 4 lanes are common. Think about it - 2 lanes exiting immediate right, 1 straight through and one for turning left. 4 lanes on a roundabout moves traffic excellently. If people are educated on em.

Last edited:

58Ford

Equipment
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
I think roundabouts with solid lanes (cannot exit) dashed lanes (can exit) & no lanes (WTF knows) and poor education is why people hate roundabouts plus our Dog given right to refuse to use turn signals!

They work well in most other countries. Totally weird they don’t here…. Right? 🤣

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Are roundabouts becoming as widespread everywhere like they are in my little old hometown? I

They are rapidly gaining in popularity because they WORK. Even with all of the idiots who can't figure them out, they still work very well.'

We had some roundabouts put in on my former commute route. Took a huge delay every morning and turned it into ZERO delay even on the business mornings, plus reduced accidents. Whereas before we'd have two or three serious accidents per year at that intersection, now there are none. Maybe once in a long while a drunk will do himself damage, but that same drunk wouldn't have been very nice with a traffic light situation, either.

I hated them when they first arrived, but I have seen the difference and I'm sold.