olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
So is your clutch squared away?

What exactly was the problem?
I am working on wiring issues right now so the clutch has not been tested under a load yet but am 99.9% sure that everything is OK.

The problem:

The release levers were to far down in the center of the clutch assembly and were bottoming out before the second stage could be released and with some assemblies, the first stage just barely. The solution to this was to fabricate three new rod releases, part #10, to the correct length, lifting the 3 center arms 3/8" higher. Also, cleaned up allot of bad Chinese machining, pieces left behind that should have been removed that causing interference and /or friction in the movement of the assembly.

Before the three new rod releases were made, placed the clutch assembly, bolted to the flywheel, in a press and slowly compressed the release arms until they bottomed out and the second stage would not release. After the new rod releases were made, repeated the press procedure and the second stage released long before the release arms bottomed out.

The solution:
Clean up all the metal left behind by poor machining, machined 3 new rod releases, pressed out the bushings from the original rods and pressed them into the new ones.

These measurements may not hold true for someone having the same problem. For me, the critical measurement was between the through out bearing and the top of the adjustment bolts on the release arms, 3/8" in my case.

If you or anyone else wants or needs more information, PLEASE ask.

Again, thanks everyone for your help.

Attachments

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Glad to hear you finally were able to come up with a fix for your problem. It is down right disgraceful that nowadays, we have to rely on poor quality products to get any parts. We certainly don't see it reflected in the prices we have to pay.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
How is the tractor coming? Is it running yet?

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
How is the tractor coming? Is it running yet?
What is brown, black and white all over?

A UPS truck that is in a storage yard after it was in an accident and burnt in the last blizzard. It was carrying my electrical parts. :mad:

Replacement parts are "supposed" to be here this coming Monday. Then 1 maybe 2 days and everything should be up and running.:)

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Geez, bad luck seems to be following you everywheres on this project. I hope it all gets straightened out so you get your tractor going.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Well, at least it wasn't the garage that the tractor is parked in...

Welcome to 2014!

;-)

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Thanks guys! This has been the project from hell. Every time I think I have turned the corner and am on the home stretch, something else pops up. The dash fought me the whole way today. Ran out of energy and patients before I ran out of things to do. 1 to 1 1/2 hours of reassembly left. Then, bleed all the hydraulics and fuel lines turn the key an the engine starts. I am back in business. What could go wrong.:rolleyes:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Wolfman, don't jinx him. I don't think he could handle any more bad luck.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
BAP, Your right!

olthumpa, Go team!!!! You can do it!!!! Cheer, Cheer, Cheer

Ok guys place your bets...:cool: Will he get it running soon!:)
I've got 10 to 1 on YES!:D

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
BAP, Your right!

olthumpa, Go team!!!! You can do it!!!! Cheer, Cheer, Cheer

Ok guys place your bets...:cool: Will he get it running soon!:)
I've got 10 to 1 on YES!:D

OMG: NOW WHAT's GOING ON

I turned the key and and I could hear this funny sound? SHIT! Smoke, where is it coming from? It was just the exhaust as the engine rumbled to life. Gotcha! All hydro's are working, 3pt up & down + FEL full up and down - lifts front off the floor. Have to go to a Dr. appointment now. I have to bolt the fenders, seat and floor boards back on (left them off - easier to work on the electrical that way), then I can stress test everything. Hopefully today.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
yeah yeah yeah run run run. Congratulations

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Great news!

Your story has me almost scared to go forward on my own 2 stage clutch replacement. Sounds like you have not yet checked the clutch function under load, but hopefully that will go smoothly. Good luck!

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Great news!

Your story has me almost scared to go forward on my own 2 stage clutch replacement. Sounds like you have not yet checked the clutch function under load, but hopefully that will go smoothly. Good luck!
I have replaces single stage clutches before but this was my first two stage clutch. Other than the problems with getting a clutch that fit properly, the job of splitting the tractor, replacing the clutch and reassembly is not that bad. It takes time, patients, organization and don't give up if it does not go right the first time. When you get frustrated, remember that tomorrow is another day with a fresh look at things. Also, there are plenty of knowlagable people here to help you. The Lord knows that I asked for help and I received it.

Getting the clutch to release was my problem, I do not think getting it to hold "should" be a problem but I will soom find out.

Good luck with your clutch change.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm very comfortable with automotive clutches. Changed my first in a Pinto back around '81 when I was 16. Also, from memory, my 66' GTO a couple of times, a friend's big block stick 71 Camaro, any number of trucks, etc. Also built my first car motor (a 340 Magnum for my 'Cuda drug from a wrecking yard) at 16, and a 350 along with Th350 for a '72 L82 Corvette when I was 17 (nearly died in that car just before I turned 18), so no stranger to mechanical work.

Until I saw your experiences, the only concern I had was "splitting a tractor", which didn't really concern me that much other than just the logistics of managing big chunks of iron on pivots and no longer connected.

But I must say your thread is quite timely in that I now know much more of what to expect, and brands to avoid at all costs...

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
The tractor is back in service after being down for 7 mths.

I had a nice long post that detailed everything that I had done and replaced but as with everything that has happened with/to this tractor repair in the last 7 mths, Murphy's law struck one more time.

As I was about to click on the Submit Reply button, I lost the entire post to a power flicker.:mad:

Sooooo, I will just conclude this by sincerely thanking everyone that has replied to this and the three other threads I started on different parts of the repair process and also those that followed it.

I am now going to start a partition drive to have Murphy's law overturned!

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10866

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11919

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12916

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
The tractor is back in service after being down for 7 mths.

I had a nice long post that detailed everything that I had done and replaced but as with everything that has happened with/to this tractor repair in the last 7 mths, Murphy's law struck one more time.

As I was about to click on the Submit Reply button, I lost the entire post to a power flicker.:mad:

Sooooo, I will just conclude this by sincerely thanking everyone that has replied to this and the three other threads I started on different parts of the repair process and also those that followed it.

I am now going to start a partition drive to have Murphy's law overturned!

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10866

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11919

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12916

Not so quick there............

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pictures or it never happened!:p