Rear view mirrors

camembert

Equipment
B7100HST, 2 mowers, post hole borer, backhoe, roller, log splitter
Jun 13, 2013
Hampshire, UK
OK - so not the highest-tech modification you can make to your Orange job - but for someone my age, who doesn't find it so easy to twist round every 30 sec to see what's going on at the back, I find the mirror is really useful. In fact previously I have driven around for several minutes without realising something had gone wrong behind me - something fallen off the trailer, mower implement pin dropped out - whatever ......

So here's an easy 20 minute fix. Buy a kick stand for a pedal bike - cost me £2.99 ($5 US) in my local discount store. And a standard truck mirror (got mine new on ebay for £12 the pair ($20 US).

The base of the kick stand has a 10mm thread - and that nice Mr Kubota has left a reinforced 10mm hole just in the right place (on my B7100 anyway - but not a big job if there isn't one). An M10 bolt with a large thick washer plus lock washer holds it at the right angle according to your seating position. The mirror slides onto the end of the kick stand spindle and tightens up easily.

So why the bike kick stand? Because it is spring loaded forward but if you hit the mirror it folds back (see pic 3) without damage. Neat, huh?

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Jolly good show there old chap!:D
When I first started reading I was ready for the reply of, "What now you going to take it out on the road for a stroll to town for tea and crumpets" I stand corrected, very well done, and very useful!

Sorry about my bad British humor!:eek:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

camembert

Equipment
B7100HST, 2 mowers, post hole borer, backhoe, roller, log splitter
Jun 13, 2013
Hampshire, UK
Jolly good show there old chap!:D
When I first started reading I was ready for the reply of, "What now you going to take it out on the road for a stroll to town for tea and crumpets" I stand corrected, very well done, and very useful!

Sorry about my bad British humor!:eek:
Actually, old chap, it's spelled humour over here.

Well, that's not quite true, because I (and the Kubota) are in France where it's spelled something quite different which escapes me for the moment.

Do you not have crumpets in Idaho? I'm sure I saw her when I was there ..... :)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
HAHAHA...Dang I've been schooled in humour! :eek:

No sadly Crumpets moved away, but her cousin Strumpet and the Tea twins are rather fun to party with! :D

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I have thought of doing something like that. Job well done.:)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
excellent use of your resources! I am impressed.:D
and cheap too, sometimes the simplest things are the best answer!

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Very nice! I get tired of twisting around as well.

I'm going to see what might work on my L3800.

Thanks for posting...

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Great idea, the kick stand mechanism! I've got mirrors a bunch on my FEL log guard, but mounted them inboard. I think I'll revisit the idea. Thanks!

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
I bought a West Coast Trucker Mirror from the local auto supply store and mounted it horizontally under the canopy. The mirror mount is quite solid so I don't get vibration unless it is really rough ground. The mirror is nice and wide so I have a good view of what is behind me and can back up easily without getting a sore neck. I have been doing a lot of backing land clearing 3 acres so it helps a lot. Here is a couple of pictures if anyone is interested.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
t33 where did you find them on e-bay? I looked and can't seem to find anything like them. Maybe I am using the wrong word search. Thanks

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Thanks for the link.

Hack75

Equipment
B2150 with LA350A. And L2800 with Woods 60 Brushbull
Aug 16, 2020
Indiana
OK - so not the highest-tech modification you can make to your Orange job - but for someone my age, who doesn't find it so easy to twist round every 30 sec to see what's going on at the back, I find the mirror is really useful. In fact previously I have driven around for several minutes without realising something had gone wrong behind me - something fallen off the trailer, mower implement pin dropped out - whatever ......

So here's an easy 20 minute fix. Buy a kick stand for a pedal bike - cost me £2.99 ($5 US) in my local discount store. And a standard truck mirror (got mine new on ebay for £12 the pair ($20 US).

The base of the kick stand has a 10mm thread - and that nice Mr Kubota has left a reinforced 10mm hole just in the right place (on my B7100 anyway - but not a big job if there isn't one). An M10 bolt with a large thick washer plus lock washer holds it at the right angle according to your seating position. The mirror slides onto the end of the kick stand spindle and tightens up easily.

So why the bike kick stand? Because it is spring loaded forward but if you hit the mirror it folds back (see pic 3) without damage. Neat, huh?
Great idea I’ve been looking for something since I don’t have a cab to attach to and I bush hog with mine.

Hack75

Equipment
B2150 with LA350A. And L2800 with Woods 60 Brushbull
Aug 16, 2020
Indiana
I got my mirrors on Amazon they are for ATV's, it's great to see behind you when backing. View attachment 47982 View attachment 47983
Thank you....There is an earlier post about a guy using a kickstand because he didn’t have a front loader and I don’t have a front loader on the Kabota I bush hog with so the mirrors are useless. I ordered a kickstand To put mirrors out farther.