Ran out of Diseal won't start. Help

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
Ran out of fuel this afternoon, didn't realize I was so close to out. Anyways I stopped the engine at the first sign of loss of power, and got the Fuel can and put 5 gallons in. Cannot get the thing started again. tried opening the fuel trap to make sure fuel was coming out. the L3200 doesn't appear to have a petcock before the fuel filter so cannot turn it on/off. tried opening the bleeder valve, and the engine did start for about 2 seconds then died, but now nothing. It cranks, but just won't catch.
What am I missing? Help.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ran out of fuel this afternoon, didn't realize I was so close to out. Anyways I stopped the engine at the first sign of loss of power, and got the Fuel can and put 5 gallons in. Cannot get the thing started again. tried opening the fuel trap to make sure fuel was coming out. the L3200 doesn't appear to have a petcock before the fuel filter so cannot turn it on/off. tried opening the bleeder valve, and the engine did start for about 2 seconds then died, but now nothing. It cranks, but just won't catch.
What am I missing? Help.
So you bleed the valve after the injector pump? How about each injector? One by one?

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
I haven't done the injectors, couldn't find any specifics in the manual. do I loosen them, then crank, or will the diesel flow by gravity. Really new at this type of thing.

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
Well I've opened up the fuel injector nuts, cranked the tractor and looks like fuel escaped from each. tightened them up again. I put the battery on jumper cables to the truck to top off the battery. put the glow plug on for full minute, Cranking gets it to almost started, but again just won't catch.

Really Frustrating.

Hoping to solve this myself (and with your help of course) before calling the dealer and admit I Messed up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That model is semi self purging.
On the side of the injection pump is a valve to purge it.
Remember to close the valve after your done!
Open the valve and then crank the engine, it should push all the air out of the lines, and start.
if that does not do it, then you might have to crack all the lines at the top of the injectors and bleed them there too while cranking.

Last edited:

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
That model is semi self purging.
On the side of the injection pump is a valve to purge it.
Remember to close the valve after your done!
Open the valve and then crank the engine, it should push all the air out of the lines, and start.
if that does not do it, then you might have to crack all the lines at the top of the injectors and bleed them there too while cranking.

Unfortunately as I have already tried to to open the valve, and to bleed the injectors already, but can't get it to start.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
... opened up the fuel injector nuts... fuel escaped from each, tightened... jumper cables to the truck to top off the battery. put the glow plug on for full minute, Cranking gets it to almost started, but again just won't catch...
Really Frustrating...
Yep, frustrating, and that seems inadequate to express your feelings at a time like this.

I'm wondering if you added something to the fuel when you 'gassed' it up: could you have had some water in your can?

We're all presuming that you are starting it with the decompression knob out, spinning it up, then shoving the decompression knob in. When it almost starts, it's firing but not running? Getting a bit of white (or black) smoke out of the exhaust? Or is it never firing at all?

May not be water (or bad fuel); could be some trash blocking the injectors. (And it could be a LOT of air, which can be difficult to purge.) If you haven't already done so, find the valve that NIW mentioned (Service Dept Vic points it out in the vid that Mike9 posted) and open it, then crank until it fires, then close the valve.

And please keep us posted on your progress!

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
Yep, frustrating, and that seems inadequate to express your feelings at a time like this.

I'm wondering if you added something to the fuel when you 'gassed' it up: could you have had some water in your can?

We're all presuming that you are starting it with the decompression knob out, spinning it up, then shoving the decompression knob in. When it almost starts, it's firing but not running? Getting a bit of white (or black) smoke out of the exhaust? Or is it never firing at all?

May not be water (or bad fuel); could be some trash blocking the injectors. (And it could be a LOT of air, which can be difficult to purge.) If you haven't already done so, find the valve that NIW mentioned (Service Dept Vic points it out in the vid that Mike9 posted) and open it, then crank until it fires, then close the valve.

And please keep us posted on your progress!
The L3200 has a decompression knob that I am aware of.
I always use a filtered funnel when fueling to keep it clean of dirt / water.
gonna try and purge it all again tomorow, wish me luck

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Take a wiff of the fuel tank. Do same with tank you filled it from. Make sure it is diesel. Wouldn't be the first time someone grabbed the green fuel handle at the station "assuming" it was diesel only to embarrassingly discover after fighting no start situation for a while that their tank has Premium Gasoline in it.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
I've been around diesel tractors since the 60's and my M7040 is the easiest tractor to bleed and get started that I've ever seen. When I have to park it in a remote hay field I always shut the fuel off at the WS housing as a theft deterrent and sometimes in my old age I forget to turn fuel on before starting engine so engine dies. I just turn fuel on and it just cranks back up. Even when I change fuel filter it's easy to restart.

yankeepac

Equipment
L3200
Apr 4, 2013
salisbury nc usa
Thank you all for the suggestions and guidance. After multiple attempts to bleed the fuel injection tubes, and a lot of cranking of the starter I finally got the tractor started. Note to self, Never run out of diesel again. BTW I discovered the beauty of a Line wrench, my standard 17mm wrench just couldn't fit the middle injector nut. I'm surprised how close together the injections are. Is this common for all the L series tractors?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thank you all for the suggestions and guidance. After multiple attempts to bleed the fuel injection tubes, and a lot of cranking of the starter I finally got the tractor started. Note to self, Never run out of diesel again. BTW I discovered the beauty of a Line wrench, my standard 17mm wrench just couldn't fit the middle injector nut. I'm surprised how close together the injections are. Is this common for all the L series tractors?
Glad you got her running again! :)

And yes I think the middle one is always a PITA........you were talking about kids right?:D:eek::)

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
Have with you an emergency can or container of diesel........... if you are getting low - use the emergency stash and get back to be fueled up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015I0GE6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Have the same 30 oz bottles for my motorcycle, scooter and 4 wheeler. Always good to have emergency fuel. Enough to get you someplace.....

They fit perfect in these holders

http://www.agrisupply.com/manual-canister/p/67670/

And there are tons of other types of brackets to hold them. You can do one 30 oz bottle or do like me and twin 30 oz bottles. 60 oz's of fuel should be able to get you to the next gas station or in case of a kubota - back to your house/shed/barn

RItractorman

Equipment
Kubota L2650, Brush hog, box garder, auger, forks, front bucket, komatsu mini ex
Nov 18, 2015
Greene, R!
You may have to loosen fuel lines one at a time working your way from the fuel filter to see if fuel to each point. A big gulp of air can be hard to burp out. A tough day on your tractor is better than most good days somewhere else.