PTO kept running

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
I was brush mowing on my L3901 HST yesterday and finished or so I thought. I pushed the clutch in and turned the PTO off and let clutch out only to find it did not disengage. Had to just turn it off to get it to stop. Made a loud clang on the brush mower. Learned I could hold the clutch in and turn it off.

Today I crawled under the tractor and found a good sized tension spring just dangling around the wire. I was able to retention it after a bit of swearing and now it works fine. What is weird is that it looks like the spring rests against a nut on the side wall and then tensions over the lever the cable moves. Seems a bit wonky for Kubota to just have that resting on a nut? I am sure it will eventually slip off again. Am I missing something?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Never worked on that model but it sounds a little like a forgotten bracket or something. Might be worth while to look under new one at the dealer to see if they are all like that.

GreasedMonkey

Aug 13, 2017
Varina,Va
It would be really easy to google the parts breakdown on that model & compare or go by dealer parts Dept & ask for one if it's not with the paper work when you bought it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Isn't this what he said he did? "I pushed the clutch in and turned the PTO off and let clutch out only to find it did not disengage."

There's probably a bracket missing on a bolt where the spring hooks.

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
I called the dealer and he went out and checked one on the lot. The tension spring rests on that bolt/nut and the arm sits on the lever. No bracket to hold it n place. He said if it comes off again he would manufacture something to keep it in place.

Thanks for the info on your replies.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Please post a picture of what you are describing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Never heard of the spring coming off. Probably got a stick or something jammed up there and knocked it off. Normal complaint is that it won't turn off and usually find lubricating the spring/lever area solves the issue.