Pros and cons of snow removal options

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
A neighbor recently got a blower for his Kubota, as the county isn't plowing out the road past my place until he gets his house finished. He's blowing the snow onto my place for a good reason, the other direction is where all the winds goes. My recently built buck rail fence is completing buried in places, and by the next storm it will be totally buried. Come spring, if it's majorly damaged, the neighbor and I will talk. No biggie really, I'm not worried, as next winter the county will probably do it, and they use a grader not a blower. Besides, in a major snow year, it'd get buried regardless, a 15 year section on a different area of the property , also buried at times, has held up fine.
IMG_20230130_101737311_HDR~2.jpg

Meanwhile back on my place, the trench is nearing shoulder high in places
IMG_20230130_091111650.jpg
, waist high at min.

Reactions: 1 users

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I recently replaced a homebuilt scraper blade with a Landpride BB1254. This is now the third box blade in my fleet. One box blade is a 60" Bush Hog unit while the other is a 48" Agri-Trend unit. The 48" box blade is the heaviest by far - it features thicker steel everywhere. The Bush Hog blade is a bit lighter; it is fitted with a plastic cutting edge and does well on a paved lane but I'm thinking this is the last year the plastic will be in place - I'll re-install the OEM steel forward cutting edge.

Now for the BB1254... Its construction is not as heavy as the Agri-Trend unit and about on par with the Bush Hog unit. Where the Landpride box blade shines is in its cutting edge. The combination of its shape and angle of inclination makes it feel like one could shave with this blade. It really cuts through hard packed snow and ice. I don't at all like the Landpride method of adjusting the ripper teeth - they should have stuck with the round cross pin that everybody else uses. Still, the way this thing scrapes so cleanly and dumps a box load of snow so readily is very impressive.

My technique is to blow the snow with the front mounted blower, then scrape with the box blade, then blow away the piles of scrapings. This leaves the laneway smooth and without the constantly increasing amount of snow that's left behind by the snowblower.

Reactions: 1 user

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
How about comparing different Kubot snowblowers? I used a BX2816 with hydraulic turning (BX2818) and a hydraulic chute deflector (BX2820) (55" wide) and it did a great job. This year I upgraded to the BX2822 snowblower (it is the 55" wide HD version) and it also does a great job. One of the first things that I noticed is that the BX2822 is a much heavier snowblower, and it can't be wrestled around as easily as the BX2816 when you want to align it for mounting to the K Connect. I also realized that it will not lift as easily as the BX2816, so I had to increase the engine revolutions just to raise it. With the higher revelations, the chute direction changes much faster, as well as the chute hood. Overall it was a new learning experience using a much heavier snowblower. I can't say for certain, but it appears the augers turn slower on the BX2822 than they do on the BX2816 since it didn't throw the snow as far or as easily. It also might be that today's snow was heavy wet snow, and the blower was pushing it ahead more and not digesting it. I also found that in the BX2822 I had to take 3/4 bites at the snow because if I didn't I had snow flowing out of one side, sort of like a windrow. Tomorrow I am going to the Kubota dealer to check out a pair of drift cutters that will extend forward a few more inches, and also add an additional 5" to the width of the snowblower. I believe that this will help to direct the snow into the snowblower better. Right now I am in the experimental stage of establishing the parameters of which snowblower is best suited for my overall satisfaction. For that reason, I still have ownership of my original BX2816 snowblower.

BX2816 Weight 287# Width 50" Working Height 21" Impeller Diameter 15 3/4" Chain Drive
BX2822 Weight 320# Width 55" Working Height 21" Impeller Diameter 15 3/4" Gear Drive
I recently purchased a BX2816 and find it will do fine for me on a long paved driveway. What I don't like is the small steel skids. Probably the same on the 2822. I found some poly ones that fit either model, and that would eliminate scrapes on my pavement and pavers.

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
Great write up and thread!

Since moving to Maine, I've tried several different methods of removing snow. I started with a shovel, sure it works, but it takes FOREVER. Then I added a snow blade to my Ryobi riding mower, and that thing works great with wet slushy or just a few inches of normal snow, but it's a major pain to do either volume (the tractor only weighs ~600 lbs) or when things get frozen/heavy, where I have had to do small overlapping runs just to clear the driveway. I then bought an electric, walk behind, snowblower - 24" self propelled 2-stage blower (EGO brand), and it was a great added tool to help where the Ryobi fell short. But this year, we had a fairly large storm, and yes it was doable with the tools at hand, it took over 5.5 hours of clearing every couple of hours, and I realized my time is worth more... Fast forward to now, and I have just got the BX with a reverse snow blower, which I've yet to use... I"m hoping we still get some snow in Maine, as I'd like to see how it works, but for the small storms we've had the last couple of weeks, the snow blade on the riding mower is great. As stated by others, every tool has advantages and disadvantages, I'm looking forward to finding the limit on the Kubota :)
If you live near me in the White Mountains you won't have to worry about getting your quota of snow, I do every year. I have a Bx1880 with a BX2816 and it take care of it fine.

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
I use a plow on a Bronco and also a snowblower on my B2650HSDC. I used a plow for the first four years I moved to the acreage as was using the tractor bucket and forks for moving skids in shop. I then attached the blower but then the tractor is a dedicated snow removal machine. I still have the plow on my bronco but like mentioned it creates banks and wind blows snow in more. The blower throws snow off int the yard so not as much for windrows. It is good to have both. the snow blower is great though as clears the snow away from everything as I have the space to blow it.

RedRiot15

Equipment
Bx2680 with many unnecessary options I just needed to have
Mar 5, 2023
Ontario Canada
If you’re not a couple inches of snow I prefer to use a blade if we get more than I use the blower. With both setups I use a box blade on rear for back dragging from the doors etc. I also run loaded front and rear turf tires with no issues

Attachments

D.jFarm78

Equipment
L2250 FEL& L4610FEl, BH, Grapple, Mower, Gannon , blade, disc, plow, rototiller,
Mar 20, 2020
Young, Az USA
Excellent description for all types of the removal procedure (y)

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I took my hyd adj 72' blade off the L3301 over a month ago, as I ran out of room to push the snow. With the bucket back on, I at first could pick it up and dump it where I wanted, but the snow kept coming, and now it's piled so high even driving up onto the snowbanks as high as possible, when I dump the bucket, it all just slithers back down. The 3 point blower is also maxed out, unless I have a strong wind from the right direction, it's been an epic year for snow, here in SE Idaho. I keep looking at the calendar, but that doesn't seem to help.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
ANOTHER 30", in April! I am out of room to pile and blow it, looking at the calendar gives me hope. Oddly enough, blowing out the road to an outbuilding yesterday, I broke a shear bolt, first glitch with the blower of the entire season, not bad. A warm day, no wind, daylight, it couldn't have happened at a better time, so there's that! Only my second winter since laying the asphalt, after 40 years of gravel, I loving how it melts off quicker, no gravel tracked into the shop etc.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
You missed box scrapers as a very good snow removal "assistant".

My 5' box scraper is the "closeup" and difficult corners snow mover, to drag or even push it to a spot the front blower can grab it. It also adds a perfect rear ballast weight for traction.

Plus when conditions set up so there's thick solid ice sheets like I had last spring on our parking area, the boxblade rippers took care of breaking it up and dragging the chunks away easy-peasy.

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
You missed box scrapers as a very good snow removal "assistant".

My 5' box scraper is the "closeup" and difficult corners snow mover, to drag or even push it to a spot the front blower can grab it. It also adds a perfect rear ballast weight for traction.

Plus when conditions set up so there's thick solid ice sheets like I had last spring on our parking area, the boxblade rippers took care of breaking it up and dragging the chunks away easy-peasy.
I use the box blade on the BX exactly like you do. Get the concrete pad in front of the garage and shop and blow it away with the M7060.

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN
Excellent review of the options! When I moved to rural MN this would have been very informative. I went back and forth between buying a skid loader or tractor. Ultimately, I chose a tractor for overall versatility on my property. I found this L3560 and bought the front blower for it. I have 500 yards of flat packed crushed asphalt driveway plus a large circle area and an ice rink to clear around. This has been the perfect set up for me. I added LEDs front and rear and ballast tires. We get 4-5 feet of snow each winter. I have never broke a shear pin, nor have I had a single issue with this set up. Next year I’ll try adding the back blade or box blade on the back. Had every intention of doing that this year but they got froze in place by the time I thought of it. The only downside I’ve encountered is when there’s big early snow and the ground hasn’t frozen the blower picks up a lot of gravel! I did use the FEL and rear blade for the first snowfall this year for that reason and it took forever! I found it cumbersome and I just couldn’t do as good of a job. Maybe with a little practice it would get better. Regardless, I love the front blower on this rig. Store it inside all summer. A slight nuisance to remove the FEL and put the blower and frame on each winter but well worth it.

1683056125958.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Excellent review of the options! When I moved to rural MN this would have been very informative. I went back and forth between buying a skid loader or tractor. Ultimately, I chose a tractor for overall versatility on my property. I found this L3560 and bought the front blower for it. I have 500 yards of flat packed crushed asphalt driveway plus a large circle area and an ice rink to clear around. This has been the perfect set up for me. I added LEDs front and rear and ballast tires. We get 4-5 feet of snow each winter. I have never broke a shear pin, nor have I had a single issue with this set up. Next year I’ll try adding the back blade or box blade on the back. Had every intention of doing that this year but they got froze in place by the time I thought of it. The only downside I’ve encountered is when there’s big early snow and the ground hasn’t frozen the blower picks up a lot of gravel! I did use the FEL and rear blade for the first snowfall this year for that reason and it took forever! I found it cumbersome and I just couldn’t do as good of a job. Maybe with a little practice it would get better. Regardless, I love the front blower on this rig. Store it inside all summer. A slight nuisance to remove the FEL and put the blower and frame on each winter but well worth it.

View attachment 101535
Drop those blower drag feet to their lower setting when the ground's not frozen yet. That raises the bottom a few inches above the soft ground and avoids a lot of gravel. The bit of snow left behind usually melts in early season snows. But I know that feeling hearing the sound of gravel flying out the chute. I've scalped my driveway's ridges aplenty doing that.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota

View attachment 101535
Now that’s a snow blower. Wow. I live in central Mn with a long driveway out in the country. After using side by side and a walk behind snow blower, decided my old arse had enough. Bought a BX1880. Picked it up before the last snow storm. The front bucket did good but need something else. A snow blower for this was out of my reach for now so ordered a pusher. Picked up a used back blade last week. Hoping this does the job but a snow blower is in my future.

eiresurg

Apr 30, 2019
Central, MN
Drop those blower drag feet to their lower setting when the ground's not frozen yet. That raises the bottom a few inches above the soft ground and avoids a lot of gravel. The bit of snow left behind usually melts in early season snows. But I know that feeling hearing the sound of gravel flying out the chute. I've scalped my driveway's ridges aplenty doing that.
LOL! Yeah it’s an unpleasant sound. The various hockey pucks that get launched throughout the winter make in impressive “thunk”. Fortunately, haven’t had one of those jam up the blower.

Since the above photo I’ve lowered the skid shoes as you mentioned. That has helped prevent the gravel spray.

Downeaster

Equipment
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
How about comparing different Kubot snowblowers? I used a BX2816 with hydraulic turning (BX2818) and a hydraulic chute deflector (BX2820) (55" wide) and it did a great job. This year I upgraded to the BX2822 snowblower (it is the 55" wide HD version) and it also does a great job. One of the first things that I noticed is that the BX2822 is a much heavier snowblower, and it can't be wrestled around as easily as the BX2816 when you want to align it for mounting to the K Connect. I also realized that it will not lift as easily as the BX2816, so I had to increase the engine revolutions just to raise it. With the higher revelations, the chute direction changes much faster, as well as the chute hood. Overall it was a new learning experience using a much heavier snowblower. I can't say for certain, but it appears the augers turn slower on the BX2822 than they do on the BX2816 since it didn't throw the snow as far or as easily. It also might be that today's snow was heavy wet snow, and the blower was pushing it ahead more and not digesting it. I also found that in the BX2822 I had to take 3/4 bites at the snow because if I didn't I had snow flowing out of one side, sort of like a windrow. Tomorrow I am going to the Kubota dealer to check out a pair of drift cutters that will extend forward a few more inches, and also add an additional 5" to the width of the snowblower. I believe that this will help to direct the snow into the snowblower better. Right now I am in the experimental stage of establishing the parameters of which snowblower is best suited for my overall satisfaction. For that reason, I still have ownership of my original BX2816 snowblower.

BX2816 Weight 287# Width 50" Working Height 21" Impeller Diameter 15 3/4" Chain Drive
BX2822 Weight 320# Width 55" Working Height 21" Impeller Diameter 15 3/4" Gear Drive

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I bought a Woodmaxx pto blower several years ago for my BX and it has been awesome. I live in a lake snow area and it easily will handle 2 ft. Put a little kfi plow on the front and it is a good machine for snow removal. Here's an old video showing it after a small storm.

bostontom

Equipment
l6060
Oct 5, 2022
boston, ma
If you’re not a couple inches of snow I prefer to use a blade if we get more than I use the blower. With both setups I use a box blade on rear for back dragging from the doors etc. I also run loaded front and rear turf tires with no issues
what v plow blade is that?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I hate you guys very much using the 4 letter word,,,,,,, Humbug ! HUMBUG I SAY !!!

• Haha

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Not a fan of the FEL blade. In float blade bogs down & front axle floats off the ground. I usually just leave the bucket on and use the rear blade (swung to the side).
View attachment 92106
that is kind of wild ==I love my front blade. I had a back blade but the front blade is awesome. I have studded chains and loaded tires and I can leave the backhoe on the back it took a little while to get the hang of it but being able to lift the blade up high and push the snow back from the edge is great.