Pressure washing tractor?

Jms63

Member

Equipment
Mx6000
Oct 17, 2021
55
18
8
Alabama
How does everyone keep their machine clean, thinking about buying a pressure washer for the home and tractor cleaning , anyone have experience with these and if so what do I need to look for…. Don’t want spend a lot of money on one …. Thoughts?
 

DustyRusty

Well-known member

Equipment
WAS BANNED FOR NSFW PICS
Nov 8, 2015
6,517
5,164
113
North East CT
I pressure wash my tractor, but I try my best to stay from grease points and fitting. Once the mud is off the tractor, I leave it in the sun to dry, and then grease the tractor so I know that there is no water where it shouldn't be. Great to keep the tires and buckets clean. On my old tractor, I would pressure wash the floor also, and it made using the tractor more enjoyable when you don't have to remove your shoes before you go into the garage.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

WhitleyStu

Active member

Equipment
B2601 LA435 FEL 60" MMM 60" Snow Blower FSP500 Spreader 5' Grahl Roller 40 spray
Sep 10, 2020
58
104
33
Indiana
I soap our B2601 with a foam cannon on the pressure washer. It loosens up the the mud then a water rinse followed with air hose and done. Do the same for the mower deck at the end of the season.
IMG_1638 - Copy.JPG
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
6,916
4,244
113
Texas
I soap our B2601 with a foam cannon on the pressure washer. It loosens up the the mud then a water rinse followed with air hose and done. Do the same for the mower deck at the end of the season.
View attachment 68969
THAT is not a real shop.

THAT…. is a Show Room! LOL

REAL SHOPs looks like obstacle courses! :
 
  • Like
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users

Bmyers

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
3,641
4,957
113
Southern Illinois
I pressure wash mine twice a year (or at least I did till our trailer got stolen). I would give it a good cleaning in the Spring and one in the Fall. After I was done washing it well, I would go over all the grease points and grease everything to make sure if water got in there that I got grease back in there to push the water out.
 

GreensvilleJay

Well-known member

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,
Apr 2, 2019
13,889
6,328
113
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
PW just twice a year ? ,sigh, I've had to do mine twice a week most of the time and one job , twice a DAY !
And you can't eat off the floor of the garage where it's parked .You can , if you like the taste of antirfeeze, oil, grease, dirt, grass, paint, blood......
 

Nicksacco

Well-known member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, 2014 RTV-1140CPX
Sep 15, 2021
770
504
93
Bahama, NC
I also use a PW for cleaning too.
I use Dawn dishwashing soap in a bucket of hot water to hit any nasty oily areas first.
I found I don't necessarily need tons of pressure in most cases.
I blow it off with a gas blower afterwards and let the sun do it's magic.
As DustyRusty says, then go over with grease gun. I'll add some fluid film in crevices and such.
Washing gives you an opportunity to see places you may not see when working!

You asked about types of PWs.
Mine is a discontinued Generac model with a belt drive to the gasoline engine.
I use it all around the house, shop and other stuff.
I chose belt drive as I wanted a very heavy duty PW and then bought a nice flexible hose, and a shut off valve at the gun. This allows me to shut off the water at the gun without shutting off the machine.
Like for changing guns and such.
I have a gun with a long and short extension and multiple tips. I also have the rotary tip that sort of spins the water as you use it for nasty jobs.
I sometimes mix hot and cold water at the tap with a "Y", but using straight hot water is not recommended in most PWs due to the seals being damaged. Warm water works really good in situations.
I would advise reading reviews from people on the different styles and makes as some are really crappy and won't last.
I've used electrics and they are pretty good, but obviously are not at the 4000 psi (to my knowledge) at this time.
What you want to use it for matters as well.
Does this give you any insight?
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

Norman

Member

Equipment
LX2610HSD;LA535;LP 60" grapple; WC68 chipper; GB60 SW cutter
Sep 30, 2021
84
97
18
Georgia, USA
Can't comment on cleaning the tractor because I've only had mine for a week. But I can tell you that I bought a pressure washer this past spring from Northern Tool, shipped to home, and I couldn't be more pleased. The price was right for my use and it's plenty powerful enough. I got the Powerhorse 3,200 PSI machine. Price has gone up just a little since then (like everything).
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

B737

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
2,022
2,205
113
USA
I dont pressure wash but here is a messicks video about it

 
  • Like
Reactions: 4 users

D2Cat

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
15,010
7,717
113
40 miles south of Kansas City
Guys enjoy spending money on "stuff". On pressure washers the first thing that gives up the the pump. You can find relatively new PW's of various sizes for sale for $50, and advertised don't work. Pumps are often times not expensive and simple to put on.

I've got a 4HP, 1500 #, with nice hose and wand I use most of the time. Starts with about two pulls and does a nice job. My wife uses it all the time for deck cleaning and the concrete apron. Cost $35 five years ago. Guy selling it use to clean his boat, and sold the boat. Works perfectly.

I've got two others. One is commercial with 50' of heavy hose and wand with "machine gun' grip! Paid way less for it than the hose and wand were worth ($30). Had a leak in the fuel tank. Man sold it because he said it need a carb. and he wasn't messing with it.

Other one I've had so long I can't remember it's origin. I do have a 6hp Honda engine that runs like a top if you need one!! ;)

Buy used, use the difference for something else.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
2,056
2,356
113
AL
D2, you sure you're not an Aussie? Love their culture. Okay to buy new, but use it till it can't be used any more. A 'new' car there just means it's less than 20 years old and only has about 300,000 km on it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
15,010
7,717
113
40 miles south of Kansas City
Remember the saying, “We have done so much for so long with so little that we can now do practically anything with nothing.” ?

I can identify with that. I enjoy fixing things others can't/won't. I think it's called "Red Flag Syndrome" (like waving a red flag in front of a bull), tell me it can't be done.... and I'll show you how! ;)
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

PaulR

Well-known member

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
582
463
63
Hadley, MA
I dry off my baby with a cotton terry cloth towel so as not to get water spots on her. :geek: :geek: :geek:
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tire Biter

Active member

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
238
88
28
S.E. TN
Pressure washer pumps last longer if dead heading the pump is kept to a minimum.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

leveraddict

Well-known member

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
905
594
93
NEPA
Dont keep your pressure washer out in the unheated garage over the winter! No matter how much you think you got all the water out of it when it freezes then you have problems.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Well-known member

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
8,001
5,188
113
Eastham, Ma
D2, you sure you're not an Aussie? Love their culture. Okay to buy new, but use it till it can't be used any more. A 'new' car there just means it's less than 20 years old and only has about 300,000 km on it.
Dont keep your pressure washer out in the unheated garage over the winter! No matter how much you think you got all the water out of it when it freezes then you have problems.
Non toxic anti-freeze or compressed air blowout will eliminate the freezing issue.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

ACDII

Well-known member

Equipment
L4060HSTC-LE, loaded. B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
690
432
63
Illinois
Non toxic anti-freeze or compressed air blowout will eliminate the freezing issue.
Yes, just get a gallon of RV antifreeze and suck some of it up. $3 insurance to prevent a cracked pump, and keeps it from rusting too.

I have a Ryobi 3200 PSI gas PW and use a 40* tip to blast it clean, then foam cannon it, and rinse it with the 40*. The only issue I have is when I hit the grease globs and get hit in the face with them. Nasty.

Once every few years I get the 0* tip out and blast the joints on the FEL to remove all the caked up dirt laden grease, then pump all new grease in and wipe it all down. Nasty dirty job, but 20 years now and have not had a single bushing go bad.