Pressure washing tractor?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
To each there own.

I would rather pay the $10 and get something tailor made for winterizing and lubricating my pressure washer pump. I get 3 winterizations out of each bottle = $3 per winterization.

Is old used automotive antifreeze compatible with the seals in the pressure washer pump? Do the silicates play well with the pump plungers? Any other contaminants in the old drained stuff?

My owners manual recommends the product I posted and or R.V. anti freeze, I will stick with them.
Automotive anti freeze is good for the seals in an engine, but not for seals in a P/W pump?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Automotive anti freeze is good for the seals in an engine, but not for seals in a P/W pump?
I think that automotive antifreeze would be just fine, however it is a toxic liquid and proper disposal might be difficult. RV antifreeze at Walmart is currently $3.48 per gallon, it was $3.00 a couple months ago. I used the RV antifreeze in my sprayer last fall and there was mold in the tank in the spring, if you use it like that the tank will need to be dried thoroughly.

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
I used a high PW in years pass...Be careful around the engine and cylinders! It's great for getting grease off fittings. Grease them after the PW, never had a problem.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
How does everyone keep their machine clean, thinking about buying a pressure washer for the home and tractor cleaning , anyone have experience with these and if so what do I need to look for…. Don’t want spend a lot of money on one …. Thoughts?
Cheap... "Sun Joe" PW works great!
I have two of them!
I also have a 4000 psi 13Hp Honda powered PW, and an old Hotsy 1000 psi Electric.
The Hotsy is the best, because hot water works far better than cold water at most any pressure!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The problem with pressure washing a tractor besides shooting water where you don’t want it to go (electrical connections, starter switches/motors, hydraulic/oil openings) is…… it will blow grease everywhere. The old grease around cylinder rods and such will be blown around and will splatter and stick to everything in the area….including other places on the tractor. And if you use Moly grease on your loader like Kubota recommends….you’ll find how difficult it is to get that off where-ever it’s splattered-to….. (hint: paper towels and WD40).

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Have a snap-on branded 2000psi electric, more trouble than it's worth. Use a 20v Dewalt, heavier than holding a spray wand. Makes 500psi on garden hose, can pump from 5gal bucket for small jobs.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The problem with pressure washing a tractor besides shooting water where you don’t want it to go (electrical connections, starter switches/motors, hydraulic/oil openings) is…… it will blow grease everywhere. The old grease around cylinder rods and such will be blown around and will splatter and stick to everything in the area….including other places on the tractor. And if you use Moly grease on your loader like Kubota recommends….you’ll find how difficult it is to get that off where-ever it’s splattered-to….. (hint: paper towels and WD40).
The use of a hot water pressure washer will NOT....... "blow grease everywhere"!
Hot water pressure washing is very effective!

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia

Haven't had that problem. Maybe it's a matter of paying attention to basics, like knowing your target and what is beyond your target.

Hey, I know it's The Fourth Rule of firearms safety, but that doesn't mean I can't apply it elsewhere.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I use a cheap electric inexpensive I've had for years. It does a good job with the foam cannon on all the cars and RV. I stay away from the electric connectors and grease pounds. The engine I just spray off with the hose.
I may have also waxed the hood, fenders and loader arms. Makes cleaning the next time faster.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Put me down for pressure washing. No regular cadence though, if I get it muddy it gets washed. I do blow it off with compressed air after every use to get the dust and debris off the deck and out of the grill and screens. Greasing happens every 3rd use or after use in wet weather/ pressure washing. Lubing the FEL in winter sucks. May need to start keeping my grease guns warm. The wife would love them on top of the dryer.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
To add to my last post, I do power wash the engine in the fall to remove any dirt and oil buildup. On my old B’s I can remove the side engine panels for better access. Always top down and I do cover my air intake and dynamo. Right after I’m done I start it up and let it run till hot to dry off any residual water. Makes finding oil leaks a lot easier when clean. I also clean off the bug guts from the underside of the hood.
For overall drying I use my leaf blower. That way I know it gets run at least once a year.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
How does everyone keep their machine clean, thinking about buying a pressure washer for the home and tractor cleaning , anyone have experience with these and if so what do I need to look for…. Don’t want spend a lot of money on one …. Thoughts?
It'll knock decals off. Too high pressure for engine gaskets. They're only good for the approximately 20 psi of the coolant. Other gaskets are at risk, too, as are transmission and differential vents. Just use a water hose and some Simple Green or whatever to clean it.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
My opinion is that a PW is a great tool, but just like hammers come in different sizes, you don't need or want tons of water pressure on everything. And you'd want to have a good aim when using a PW.

To remove oil and grease, sometimes Gunk or other engine cleaner and pressure from a hose with HOT water is all that's needed. I am a believer in having a hot water hose bib specifically for stuff like this.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Haven't had that problem. Maybe it's a matter of paying attention to basics, like knowing your target and what is beyond your target.

Hey, I know it's The Fourth Rule of firearms safety, but that doesn't mean I can't apply it elsewhere.
Ouch.
I know about that…but grease, especially Moly…. ends up in all kinds of unexpected places… One thing it does prove tho’…. Moly is difficult to remove …and I guess that’s why it’s good on pins and bushings.