Pressure washing tractor?

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Non toxic anti-freeze or compressed air blowout will eliminate the freezing issue.
Yes, just get a gallon of RV antifreeze and suck some of it up. $3 insurance to prevent a cracked pump, and keeps it from rusting too.

I have a Ryobi 3200 PSI gas PW and use a 40* tip to blast it clean, then foam cannon it, and rinse it with the 40*. The only issue I have is when I hit the grease globs and get hit in the face with them. Nasty.

Once every few years I get the 0* tip out and blast the joints on the FEL to remove all the caked up dirt laden grease, then pump all new grease in and wipe it all down. Nasty dirty job, but 20 years now and have not had a single bushing go bad.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Remember the saying, “We have done so much for so long with so little that we can now do practically anything with nothing.” ?

I can identify with that. I enjoy fixing things others can't/won't. I think it's called "Red Flag Syndrome" (like waving a red flag in front of a bull), tell me it can't be done.... and I'll show you how! ;)
My versions of those are:

Everyday, do more than is expected of you with less, and soon, you will be expected to do more of everything with nothing.

The second part:

Tell me it can't be done, and I'll say "Hide in the bushes and watch!"

On occasion, the redneck version "Hol' muh beer and watchiss!" comes out. Those are not my better moments in decision making sometimes.

I'll refer you to my tag for more of my favorites.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
That last one is on a plaque on our kitchen wall hanging over a big wooden spoon.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
When selecting a pressure washer… less important is the rated pressure…. more important is the rated GPM (gallons per minute). The pressure occurs at the tip of the wand…and if there’s insufficient water-flowing… it’s simply not going to be very effective. A minimum IMO is 2.5 GPM and the more it exceeds that rating the better the machines’ effectiveness regardless of rated pressure.
Not to belabor the point but 3500 psi at 2.0 gpm is not nearly as effective than 2.5 gpm at 2500 psi.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When selecting a pressure washer… less important is the rated pressure…. more important is the rated GPM (gallons per minute). The pressure occurs at the tip of the wand…and if there’s insufficient water-flowing… it’s simply not going to be very effective. A minimum IMO is 2.5 GPM and the more it exceeds that rating the better the machines’ effectiveness regardless of rated pressure.
Not to belabor the point but 3500 psi at 2.0 gpm is not nearly as effective than 2.5 gpm at 2500 psi.
If one can afford a hot PW, it is light years in capability ahead of a cold water PW.

Reactions: 1 users

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Totally agree on hot pressure washers! I was going to get some copper tubing and wrap a coil around the chamber of a torpedo heater and make my own, then found out the kids threw it out when I told them to put it on the side. It was a perfectly functioning heater too, no rust.

Those Hotsy washers are nothing more than a vertical torpedo heater with a coil inside, but man, they work wonders cleaning off grease and grime.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Totally agree on hot pressure washers! I was going to get some copper tubing and wrap a coil around the chamber of a torpedo heater and make my own, then found out the kids threw it out when I told them to put it on the side. It was a perfectly functioning heater too, no rust.

Those Hotsy washers are nothing more than a vertical torpedo heater with a coil inside, but man, they work wonders cleaning off grease and grime.
My Hotsy is from the late 70's early 80's, and still works like a charm!

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I've got mine 3 years ago, I washed it once about 2 years ago. I'm sure I'll wash it again at some point. If the buckets get too dirty I have an old pile of gravel out back. Scoop and empty a few times cleans it nicely.

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
I presume wash mine then take a leaf blower to dry it. We don't baby anything. We baby everything.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC

So I thought; "surely someone must've done this".
I looked on Youtube and found 2. What a hoot!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Solar water heater = Long Black Garden Hose sitting in the sun. ;)

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I have been using a product like this to winterize my pressure washer. I live near a couple of Northern tool stores so I use there product. Amazon sells several different brands that are compareable to the Northern brand. All brands provide anti-freeze protection and also lubrication for the water pump internals. Very easy to use.
Winterize pressure washer.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
S
I soap our B2601 with a foam cannon on the pressure washer. It loosens up the the mud then a water rinse followed with air hose and done. Do the same for the mower deck at the end of the season.
View attachment 68969
Stu,
What’s with the garage door windows? Insulation? Does it work?
Sorry for OT!

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Dont keep your pressure washer out in the unheated garage over the winter! No matter how much you think you got all the water out of it when it freezes then you have problems.
My owners manual states to cycle some R.V. antifreeze through it. I have done this every year and never had a issue.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have been using a product like this to winterize my pressure washer. I live near a couple of Northern tool stores so I use there product. Amazon sells several different brands that are compareable to the Northern brand. All brands provide anti-freeze protection and also lubrication for the water pump internals. Very easy to use.
Winterize pressure washer.
Save a gallon or two of your old auto antifreeze.
Put it in your pressure washer for winter storage.
Free Winter protection.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Save a gallon or two of your old auto antifreeze.
Put it in your pressure washer for winter storage.
Free Winter protection.
To each there own.

I would rather pay the $10 and get something tailor made for winterizing and lubricating my pressure washer pump. I get 3 winterizations out of each bottle = $3 per winterization.

Is old used automotive antifreeze compatible with the seals in the pressure washer pump? Do the silicates play well with the pump plungers? Any other contaminants in the old drained stuff?

My owners manual recommends the product I posted and or R.V. anti freeze, I will stick with them.