Press Brake

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL
Got another new toy today and man does it beat a hammer and vise. Press brake fits right on a HF 20 ton press. $219 off ebay. They say it will bend up to 1/2" thick 3" wide piece. Not planning on pushing it that far.

Attachments

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I like. Looks easy to build. I have all the pieces. Have had a need but vise and hammer is therapeutic as well.
Probably cheaper to buy then build.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I built my own, and use it every day. If you have a shop press, a brake is an awesome tool. I have about $10 in mine.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Thats pretty cool,, I have no idea what I would do with it cause I cant weld it to anything anyway,,, still pretty cool none the less

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL
Still have not bit the bullet for a band saw. I always thought it would be good to have more orders than you can fill for a device. I'm in that situation and it is stressful.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Still have not bit the bullet for a band saw. I always thought it would be good to have more orders than you can fill for a device. I'm in that situation and it is stressful.
I have a band saw, which I do use. But, I use a porta-band much more often, and I can make 5 or 6 cuts in the time that it takes the band saw to make one.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
So what pray tell are you building?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

what kind of press is that? I am in the market for a press since my old one was given away without my consent. Old one came from a chinese tools store, looks like the one in your picture. All the new stuff I've found are all about identical to the HF 20t press, and all that I've seen are garbage. I don't mind paying a little and I realize I'm gonna have to pay, but ain't no way I'm paying hard earned money for a piece of junk that I get 2 uses out of before it's broken or bent.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I dont use mine daily, but i do use it often. It was a cheap one i bought almost twenty years ago. Could use a bigger one sometimes. Bressing bearings, bending sheet metal,die forming.borrowed a feather and wedge kit and cut a keyway in a hub once. Brass hammer is much faster. Pressing ball joints on certain vehicles.

I think a press is a necessary shop tool, just under utilized.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I bought mine used/local- it was like new, and came with a 16 ton pipe bender (brand new), for $400. From the best that I can tell, this is it-

http://www.carolinaequipment.com/04_Presses/20Tpress/20Tpress.htm

I bought an air over hydraulic jack for it, and use it every day. I've gotten my money's worth a long time ago.
That air over hydraulic is nice :D:D We have a 30 ton press at work that's air over hydraulic. It replaced a 20 ton with the two spring loaded bars that acted as stabilizers for a carriage. I bent the stabilizer bars and shot the shaft I was stripping into the wall. :eek: dented the snot out of the metal siding. Glad it shot away from me instead of at me, or else I would have likely ended up in the hospital :eek:

New one has a solid mount with a long travel piston instead. Much sturdier, and safer to use :D

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Got another new toy today and man does it beat a hammer and vise. Press brake fits right on a HF 20 ton press. $219 off ebay. They say it will bend up to 1/2" thick 3" wide piece. Not planning on pushing it that far.
Your thinking is right on. The general rule is the bottom die width should be eight times the thickness of the metal up to 1/2", and ten times for thicker than that. For 1/2" thick, that would be a 4" die. You can cheat it a bit, but your tonnage will go up with a smaller die.

Attachments

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL
So what pray tell are you building?
A fish scent/ attractant applicator, mounts to trolling motor or seat pole, soak the foam pads in fish attractant and you can pull just about any soft plastics through it. Jig and spinner baits will come through if careful. Foam is attached to plastic sleeves that slide on the alum. flat bar. I use the press to put that small bend in the flat bar so the foam stays in place. Soak it once or twice a day and will not not have to be looking around the boat for the spray. Saves time and money. My wife and used a similar device last summer, we fished 16 tournaments and got paid in 13 of them. Don't tell me smell doesn't make a difference.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
What do you do with it? I get the scent thing but I cant figure how your using it, drawing the lure and line through it?
Hummm wait, I think i got it,,never mind

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL
What do you do with it? I get the scent thing but I cant figure how your using it, drawing the lure and line through it?
Hummm wait, I think i got it,,never mind
I knew you would get it, the foam puts a nice coat of oil on the bait. Saves a lot of time and scent. Took me awhile to find the right foam and the right tape that the oil would not break down.