Pointless Upgrade?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Kind of depends on what exactly you’re doing with those IBC totes full of green firewood whether this is pertinent or not.

If you’re just moving them and have no real need to lift them higher than the 3 point can lift them (yes I’m aware you said you normally run with a backhoe) you could get 3 point forks and move them with the 3 point. I don’t know exactly what your loader will lift or what exactly the 3 point will lift, but unless it’s a quite unusual setup the 3 point will lift a good bit more than the loader, and generally be more stable while doing it.

Might not suit your situation at all. If it does, it’s a lot cheaper than upgrading to a bigger machine.

——-
Edit: I now see BigG beat me to the same suggestion.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Nah, it’s a great tractor. I had an LX2610 before moving up. I bought too small to begin with.
"I bought too small to begin with"

Unfortunately, you violated the first rule of tractoring!
BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR !

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Thanks for your reply PaulL. My tires are not filled but when doing loader work I have the backhoe on as rear ballast. While picking up and moving the cages the ballast of the BH kept me planted but maybe thats not enough?

I laughed hard at the letter of rec for the wife!

I currently have a MMM but was thinking running one off the rear PTO would be a bit better for my applications. I just use the bucket for snow removal now (maybe a plow in the future) so losing the mid pto wouldnt be a concern for me, but good point.

Yea i wish they were still offering the 0% for 84 months.
They are offering the 0% here at my dealer. Maybe not for 84 months. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The L2501 does have a lot more power than a B2601. Don’t be confused by the HP number. The L2501 is a lot larger tractor with a lot more torque and much larger displacement engine. Go look at the displacement and weight.

However, I think the best choice for a significant upgrade would be a Grand L4060LE in a cab or not with the upgraded loader, or a MX5400 with Cab or not.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I have 3pt forks for my B2601. It lifts a hell of a lot more on the rear. Forks are really inexpensive - mine fit both the rear 3ph, and the front (pin on quick attach). Definitely makes sense to try this first, and it could be really useful if it means you can leave your grapple on while you move things - less changing of implements.

I lift things with my 3pt quite high. Neighbours have a bank that I use as a loading bank. I can get things off delivery trucks with my forks, or off my trailer. Just takes a bit of thinking. Sounds like you have a large enough property you could easily build a loading ramp if you wanted. That would allow you to do a lot of things.

On the lift capacity of the L - it's only a little bit more to full height. But full height on an L is a lot more than full height on a B. You need to look at the loader curve - I believe the L loader will lift a lot more than the B to 'just off the ground'.

It sounds like the B is doing most of what you need. If it's only the totes, and if moving to 3ph forks solves that problem, then no new tractor needed.

In terms of calculating weight - my approach would be to work out what the B currently lifts. You say it lifts a half full tote. A full tote will weigh twice as much. If you want to lift a full tote, you need a tractor with twice the lift capacity (if it's working to the same % of its max capacity as the B is). Close enough. The L isn't twice. The MX is getting there, as is the Grand L. That's a lot of tractor to get down your trails though, so a few things would change.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I have 3pt forks for my B2601. It lifts a hell of a lot more on the rear. Forks are really inexpensive - mine fit both the rear 3ph, and the front (pin on quick attach). Definitely makes sense to try this first, and it could be really useful if it means you can leave your grapple on while you move things - less changing of implements.

I lift things with my 3pt quite high. Neighbours have a bank that I use as a loading bank. I can get things off delivery trucks with my forks, or off my trailer. Just takes a bit of thinking. Sounds like you have a large enough property you could easily build a loading ramp if you wanted. That would allow you to do a lot of things.

On the lift capacity of the L - it's only a little bit more to full height. But full height on an L is a lot more than full height on a B. You need to look at the loader curve - I believe the L loader will lift a lot more than the B to 'just off the ground'.

It sounds like the B is doing most of what you need. If it's only the totes, and if moving to 3ph forks solves that problem, then no new tractor needed.

In terms of calculating weight - my approach would be to work out what the B currently lifts. You say it lifts a half full tote. A full tote will weigh twice as much. If you want to lift a full tote, you need a tractor with twice the lift capacity (if it's working to the same % of its max capacity as the B is). Close enough. The L isn't twice. The MX is getting there, as is the Grand L. That's a lot of tractor to get down your trails though, so a few things would change.
Can I ask which 3 point forks you have? Also, how easy are they to use on uneven terrain?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If you have forks already maybe consider a reverser plate if you want to try that first.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
If you have forks already maybe consider a reverser plate if you want to try that first.
I do have front forks already. Is a reverse plate something I would need to fab up or can be purchased and attached to existing forks? I don't have access to a welder.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
While your B may muster the job, you also have to look at the long game- how long will the B hold up if you are working it to its max limits?
Depending on how much money difference there is if you do a change, you could possibly pick up a skid steer for that amount of money. We bought a Bobcat 743, $6500, and it is a workhorse. Its lift rating of 1300lbs is pretty good, along with its maneuverability- it will do things that a tractor with a loader won't. Ours handles 1000 lb round bales with ease. It's a thought, if it would be a financial advantage.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I do have front forks already. Is a reverse plate something I would need to fab up or can be purchased and attached to existing forks? I don't have access to a welder.
They are just a few clicks away…I thinking if you search 3pt to SSQA adapter plate or reverse plate you will find what you are looking for.

Attachments

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
While your B may muster the job, you also have to look at the long game- how long will the B hold up if you are working it to its max limits?
Depending on how much money difference there is if you do a change, you could possibly pick up a skid steer for that amount of money. We bought a Bobcat 743, $6500, and it is a workhorse. Its lift rating of 1300lbs is pretty good, along with its maneuverability- it will do things that a tractor with a loader won't. Ours handles 1000 lb round bales with ease. It's a thought, if it would be a financial advantage.
Good points hodge. A reason for my thinking I may need to upgrade was due to how much excessive stress I may have been putting on the front axles (thats why I wanted to ask here first). If the rear forks would alleviate that stress that may be better for the short term (or long term) or as long as it takes for one of these fine members to talk me into something larger.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Good points hodge. A reason for my thinking I may need to upgrade was due to how much excessive stress I may have been putting on the front axles (thats why I wanted to ask here first). If the rear forks would alleviate that stress that may be better for the short term (or long term) or as long as it takes for one of these fine members to talk me into something larger.
I have a smaller and older B7200 that i have used for better part of 30 years. It was asked to move a lot of stuff that pressed it to the limit and beyond and I found lots of workarounds for the bigger jobs.

Last year I purchased an L3901 and the added size and lifting power has made my life a lot easier. . Naturally I have found things that now press the bigger machine to the limit and beyond but its not stuff I do on a regular basis. Its sort of the nature of tractor ownership.

I had a real need for something larger than the B. I don't need something larger than the L but i cant help but want a larger tractor from time to time. You are the only one that can really evaluate your need from your want. I can say I let my cheap skate nature keep me from upsizing way to long. If my wife had not suggested a new tractor I would probably still be waiting.....

Dan

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I had a B2601 and upgraded to the L2501. The L2501 is substantially more tractor regardless of the specifications. My B2601 was struggling lifting logs, removing stumps and heavy ground engagement work. The L2501 completes all these same tasks effortlessly. I could have gone with a Grand L, or MX (which would be awesome) but, ultimately, the L2501 is the perfect sized tractor for my property.

And, perhaps its worth mentioning...I sold my B2601 for only $1K less than I paid new (minus tax). Had I waited for the next buyer, I would have recouped all my investment and more.

Mike

Reactions: 3 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Isn't each step up in series a larger more powerful hydraulics system? I know even though the BX 2680 has basically the same hp as the B 2601 the engine displacement is different and the hydraulic system is much more capable .

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Very good points, thank you. I really have no clue what a full tote weighs loaded with the green oak. Only know what i could lift by trial and error of loading until the B didn't want to move it anymore. I will have to do some math and figure out around what the totes weigh full.
OOH, something I actually (think I) know. I calculated yesterday that a 275 g tote full of green green ash was about 1250 #. Burr Oak around 1500#. Much less after it dries. The totes seem plenty tough, even after I cut some access holes in a long side.

My L can pick up either but I like a lot of weight in back (for safety and front-axle longevity). My plan is to hang a set of pallet forks off of the three point also. So, I can haul 2 w/ less axle strain and if I just want to move one I'll move it using the rear. I was going to fill an old furnace full of 2000# of metal and concrete, but I think the rear a pallet fork makes more sense (but costs more). Of course, I bent the cheapo 3-pt pallet fork yesterday, so that plan is on hold for now.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Can I ask which 3 point forks you have? Also, how easy are they to use on uneven terrain?
I'm in NZ, so not probably useful to you. They are these ones:

I had them modified to take the pin on quick attach (a couple extra brackets added).

If you already have SSQA, then you can buy a plate that basically lets you attach SSQA things to your 3ph. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/3-Point-Attachment-Universal-Quick-Attach-Equipment/dp/B008HS6KMO

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I'm in NZ, so not probably useful to you. They are these ones:

I had them modified to take the pin on quick attach (a couple extra brackets added).

If you already have SSQA, then you can buy a plate that basically lets you attach SSQA things to your 3ph. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/3-Point-Attachment-Universal-Quick-Attach-Equipment/dp/B008HS6KMO
Thank you. I was thinking of trying something like this in the meantime.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Thank you. I was thinking of trying something like this in the meantime.
Cheap and easy. Having two sets of forks rather than one that fits both ends means you can use both at the same time. However, those ones don't fold up, and don't adjust width. Those things are valuable to me. Depends what your storage space is like, and whether you might lift different sorts of loads with them.