Plow Problems

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
No matter how I adjust this plow it wont cut out, over, to the row that I just plowed before. Forgive me for not using the correct terminology but it leaves a gap between rows. Ive plowed before several years ago and remember correcting this problem but dont remember exactly how. Besides it was a different tractor and different plow.
I have the adjustment bar all the way over as you should be able to see in the pictures. After making some adjustments on the tractors right lift arm and top link then it started plowing pretty darn good except the problem Im having. I took pictures of the worst plowing so you could see some of the bad gaps. I have Hodges stabilizers on so I do think that helps.
Im also staying to the far right side of the furrow to cut over to the last cut as much as I can. Yes I didnt think to take pictures with the plow attached. So let me know if there are any other pictures you need or questions. Thanks
Warped plow ? It looks pretty straight.
Maybe its more out of wack than I think.
Help

Attachments

Last edited:

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Go faster?

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thanks clay45 but Im in 3rd gear low side and Im thinking that speed will not change my plows path much.
I did have a thought about trying to change the drawbar position. Im going to try one last thing that should be able to be seen in the very last picture. Im thinking of turning/swinging that drawbar pin toward the front or rear or which ever direction Im needing that should swing the back in the direction Im needing. You can also see in that last picture to the left side where I moved the stabilizer bar to a different position and there are more holes there to try so I must try.
Clear as mud ?
I will try and report back tomorrow.

Yes Tooljunkie I adjusted the top link and actually had a pretty good plow going except not cutting rows close enough together.
Still have gaps between rows.
Thanks

Last edited:

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Have you tried adjusting the right rear wheel inward, on your tractor?:D:D
You beat me to it:) You may be able to adjust your stablizer a little shorter on that side also.

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2400HSD/47 John Deere Model M
Apr 14, 2015
FL
Mine will do that when I don't have the right lift arm high enough compared to the left. Since the right side tires are in the furrow when plowing it takes a good bit of adjustment to level the low when plowing. Appears your plow is already offset some based on pin location or maybe thats just the pic angle.

I have to run mine almost as short as I can get the leveler but then it will roll the dirt very nicely, it looks wacky sitting that jacked up when the tractor s level but if the right side is too low it looks just like your pics... I can also see the difference in how wide the plow is cutting the furrow and by hiw level the bottom of the furrow is.

Some people will block up the left tires on a level surface to the height to simulate how deep the furrow is going to be usually 4" - 6" or so then level the plow to get it close. After some time on the tractor I can usually get it close at hookup and then fine tune it on the first pass or two.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thanks for all the help. (The serious ones anyway).
Thanks for the video and it was nice but it didnt address my issue with the gap between furrows. I could be wrong but I dont think a culter will fix my problem. Ive also adjusted the plow while left wheel was on blocks and then readjusted both ways again while test plowing. I also adjusted top link both ways several times.
Like I said there was times toward the end of the day I was getting a good plow turn over but its just leaving that gap between the furrows.
Im going to keep trying a few more adjustments today if I get time and report back.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Mudball
I think a coulter will not help your plowing problem. Back when I plowed with a MB plow I never used coulters. Speaking of coulter I thought coulter in posted video was set a little too far to the left of bottom & plow bottom appeared to be set too much on the point BUT IT MIGHT JUST BE MY OLD EYES!!!!!!

How close to inside of rear tire does plow point get when looked in a straight line from behind? Your plow bottom appears to need more scouring.

Ike

Equipment
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Your plow is to far over to the centerline of your tractor. That causes the problem you are having. How wet is the ground? sometimes in wet ground the dirt will stick together and leave a rough plow job

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thanks for all the help.
Yes I also dont think a coulter will help me with my problem. I will try to get it hooked up today and take a picture.
Yes I agree that its too far toward the center and thats exactly my point. I have the plow drawbar pins slid over as far as they will go.
Thanks again.

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 14, 2015
FL
An informative link for setting bottom plows and bottom plowing in general:

Moldboard Plow

I know you can get into tire width adjustments and some plows are adjustable more so than others especially the older ones. Good luck with it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Maybe I'm off, but looking at all the pictures, it looks to me like it's not going deep enough, hence it's not pulling over enough dirt to throw it over far enough to cover the gap. :confused:
If your only hitting half the moldboard it will do that.

It get more depth you will need to do some adjustments, might be able to just move the connecting links up the arms towards the tractor if you have multiple connection points, also pointing the tip of the plow slightly downward will help keep it from floating and keep it at the proper depth.

Last edited:

Treckerzeug

Equipment
Carraro tgf 7800 taijfun 4,5 t winch, trailer with crane, double bl saw
Apr 17, 2015
Bavaria South Germany
Have you tried adjusting the right rear wheel inward, on your tractor?:D:D

Hi there,

If the plow is in the soil at working depth it should be levelled, longitudinal, to be adjusted via the top link, and transversal to be adjusted via the RH link between low link and lift arm, any chain links or such should allow the plow free movements sideways, otherwise you won t get a straight furrow.

If the plough doesn t cut through the whole working width, the problem is the setting of the bar which takes the lower links and the tranwidth of the tractor, on yours you can turn it, or maybe move it sideways too, right?
If you can only turn it warch out, that after turning it the frame is still in line with the longitudinal axis of the tractor.

If setting this bar dorsn t help maybe you can change the tramwidth
With tramwidth the distance between the middle of the rear is meant.

Hoping, that this helps,

Good luck!

Regrads robert

Ike

Equipment
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
What size tires are on your tractor R 4 or R1 and what is the size of your plow? It looks to me like around a 12 inch bottom plow. Set your tractor on a flat surface and stand back and look at the plow to see if the bottom of the cutting edge is in line with the rear tire, or run a straight edge along you rear tire and see if it is lined up with your plow cutting edge. If you have R 4 tires and they are wider than your plow furrow it will pack the rolled dirt down and leave a gap like you are getting the same as if you are not plowing deep enough

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thanks for all the great help.
Sorry if I dont address each reply but I finally had a chance to get it today. I should have figured this out the first time :confused:
I was able to twist the drawbar pin and I also got a little more movement from my Hodges stabilizers and together that fixed it. I took a picture of the results but after I fine tuned it got even better.

Standard R1 tires, 16" plow, pretty dry, thanks for the link and all the other great help.
I cant believe the adjustment was that simple. Drove me crazy. Especially since I could swear I had it in that same position the first time I tried the plow.
Live and learn.

Attachments

Last edited:

zload

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 14, 2015
FL
Good job getting it worked out. I usually only turn once or twice a year so I keep a log book on where things are "supposed to be" adjustment wise since I tend to forget sometimes :D