Pin-On bucket vs SSQA on a BX23s what would you do?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I bought my BX23 last year and went SSQA loader and added the Kubota forks and frame. Be aware that the lift capacity with forks is very limited. I haven't measured my pressure from the factory yet but I can only get about 3 layers of brick on a pallet to lift high enough to stack pallets. I have a lot of pallets with thin layers stacked on top of each other, but the limited capacity is a factor to consider.
so, how many layers of bricks can you stack with the pin on forks?
it may not be that different.

Last edited:

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I bought my BX23 last year and went SSQA loader and added the Kubota forks and frame. Be aware that the lift capacity with forks is very limited. I haven't measured my pressure from the factory yet but I can only get about 3 layers of brick on a pallet to lift high enough to stack pallets. I have a lot of pallets with thin layers stacked on top of each other, but the limited capacity is a factor to consider.

This is why i said if you need a SSQA you probably need a bigger machine than a bx. Because the most common thing to switch between is bucket and forks. But on a BX with forks, the load center will be way forward, and then a pallet itself eats more capacity, by the time you get the stuff on your lifting, it’s not much capacity. I wouldn’t bother with forks on a bx. Snow pusher, or snow blade, yea, BX can handle that. The loader with skids can push an amazing amount of snow for the size of the machine, that’s what I do, not often, don’t get much snow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Be aware that the lift capacity with forks is very limited. I haven't measured my pressure from the factory yet but I can only get about 3 layers of brick on a pallet to lift high enough to stack pallets.
You might be surprised what those 3 tiers weigh....I only say that after setting a bunch of brick-sized pavers for a patio.

To the OP, it's only my gut talking as I don't have SSQA, but I sure like that option for forks over the Clamp-on alternative.....and certainly intrigued by the "QA" system altogether.

After his surgery, I cleared snow from a friend's driveway couple years ago with his BX23S. He had SSQA and a snow blade on. Worked like a charm.

Adds versatility, albeit at the cost of some performance.

Now, if the difference between pin-on and SSQA is that "tight" for what you want to do, maybe a B series might be something to look at.

Trust me, I can relate there....I should have looked harder at a B for all those reasons...

catalyst

Equipment
BX80, RTV-XG850
Sep 30, 2018
St. Clair
I own a bx1880 with the ssqa. The extra weight of the plate hurts, but it is a double whammy because it also pushes that load out farther. At times i wish i would have gone with a pin on bucket, and i eyeball them on facebook market. I have a set of ssqa titan forks and it can only lift a few hunred lbs on a pallet. I mostly use it for logs and brush, or awkward large things so it works out, but 100 or 200 more capacity would be outstanding.

On the other side of it... The saving grace is that for mowing, i just unclip the bucket dont even bother removing the loader so that makes up for it, since our primary use is mowing the lawn. It is literally a 30second to 1 minute swap.

I tried a ssqa snow blade, but that didnt work so well as it was oversized for the machine and it would only push straight. Lol. The rear blade works quite well for our snow removal, until i find a more suitable front blade option.

How difficult is it to swap out the pin on bucks and forks with the older quick attach system? Ssqa is nice, but it seems like a lot of extra weight.

Cfrazer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2670-1,FEL, BX5450, BBox, GS1548, RB1560, QH05, AI2 Forks, SS Curtis Cab
Jan 22, 2018
North Rose, NY, USA
How difficult is it to swap out the pin on bucks and forks with the older quick attach system? Ssqa is nice, but it seems like a lot of extra weight.
I have Ai2 QA system (which is basically comparable to Kubota QA) and I have never used SSQA, but watching videos of people with them, i believe the QA probably takes a little more finesse, It usually takes me 2 - 3 attempts to make the connection.

The QA weighs 50 lbs, and Ai2 Carriage and forks is 162 lbs., the factory bucket weighs 140 lbs, so when i went from pin on to QA weight difference is 50 lbs when i have the bucket on and 72 lbs with the forks.

I like the idea of SSQA, just not sure its the best choice on a BX, seems like all the SSQA attachments i see online are all heavier than something that is specifically designed for scuts. The advantage of SSQA implements is cost and availability though.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
According to the manual...the BX23S loader can lift 700# which INCLUDES the bucket ,so really maybe 500# but NOT to full height.
A concrete 4x8" paver weighs about 5# amd I get 60 per layer, so 300#. With my SSQA HLA forks I can lift 2 layers ok . I've also lifted(just about a foot) and hauled a complete set of semi duals.
I KNOW it won't lift HEAVY loads,so lots of skids unlike my A-C forklift that WILL lift 6000# at a time. You just need to work within the limits, same as not trying top drag a 5 furrow plow behind an 8N !

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
IMO - the QA is just to good not to have.

I had a New Holland 1620 before I purchased my new B2650. The old one had no QA. The new one came with it and at the time, I didn't think anything of it having never used one.

I purchased a set of forks thinking I could use them.

It turns out I use them all the time. Between the bucket, plow and forks, I would never own another loader without it. Now I want a grapple and a post hole digger.

All I can say is I would much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I wasn't complaining about the weight capacity so much as alerting that it may not be what people think. I would do it all the same if I were to do it again. The
convenience of having the pallet forks with the SSQA if worth every penny in my opinion. Although the capacity is limited it makes it so much easier to move items that are on pallets vs restacking every time you need something to be moved. I'd vote for SSQA every time.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
IMO - the QA is just to good not to have.

I had a New Holland 1620 before I purchased my new B2650. The old one had no QA. The new one came with it and at the time, I didn't think anything of it having never used one.

I purchased a set of forks thinking I could use them.

It turns out I use them all the time. Between the bucket, plow and forks, I would never own another loader without it. Now I want a grapple and a post hole digger.

All I can say is I would much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
absolutely agree, the ability to QUICKLY slap on a set of light weight pallet forks pays you back dividends, i've used them so much. Mostly because its fast and convenient. The BX needs a set of LIGHT pallet forks and its good to go. lifted a friends V6 race car engine out of my truck with no problem (~400), 3 point leaf blower (300 pounds), 42" brush hog (~300), without a sweat. Using a set of pallet forks that only weigh in around 100 pounds you can get a lot of stuff done. Having a weight bracket on the back and loaded tires will also help. Using SSQA (or any QA) adds a lot of utility to the loader. Its a BX, no one is expecting to lift a crazy amount of weight...

Last edited:

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
I initially used the BXpanded forks on the bucket of my BX2370 but last year upgraded to the Ai2 system and am glad I did. I change between forks and bucket quite often, and the Ai2 forks will lift more than the BXpanded forks because they're back closer to the tractor. Plus, the visibility is much improved and they forks don't come off if you're trying to pull something in reverse. The Ai2 system is very well designed and built. Don't forget, you're not always lifting bricks or heavy items--I use mine for brush, dock sections, etc. I also use the forks to service my MMM when it's off the tractor--the forks just slide underneath and then you can lift the mower to a comfortable working height--much easier.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
After changing bucket to forks in a minute, I used the forks to
1) move dead fridge to scrap pile
2) move 4by8 farm wagon to better spot
3) move skids of wood to better spot
4) move farm wagon to even better spot
5) move F150 rearend to scrap pile
6) push dead Yukon inside shop
7) grab skid to to toss tranny on
8) move tranny to pickup box
I know there's more I did but still tired to think what ....
I do know it's been GREAT having the SSQA forks !

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
From another thread where I posted: I found a youtube video of a guy who makes a very simple QA that makes ordinary pin-on attachments into QA without a bunch of money or trouble. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuktqggNDCw

The guy who made mine is Dan Heibert: danannah (at) gmail.com
ph: 20four-362-798four (Manitoba)

He made mine and shipped them and accepted paypal. (about $400 but mine were special one-off/custom-made due to special dimensions on my rare FEL.)

They are the cat's meow and didn't require me to modify anything. I leave the top pins in my attachments (bucket and pallet-forks mostly but ordinary pin-on attachments work without further expense or modification) and pick them up with the FEL and then install the lower pins ...and go to work! A few minutes to switch and no help required.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
From another thread where I posted: I found a youtube video of a guy who makes a very simple QA that makes ordinary pin-on attachments into QA without a bunch of money or trouble. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuktqggNDCw

The guy who made mine is Dan Heibert: danannah (at) gmail.com
ph: 20four-362-798four (Manitoba)

He made mine and shipped them and accepted paypal. (about $400 but mine were special one-off/custom-made due to special dimensions on my rare FEL.)

They are the cat's meow and didn't require me to modify anything. I leave the top pins in my attachments (bucket and pallet-forks mostly but ordinary pin-on attachments work without further expense or modification) and pick them up with the FEL and then install the lower pins ...and go to work! A few minutes to switch and no help required.
This is exactly like the Kubota style I bought for mine. I prefer them to a SSQA because it has no moving parts to break. I paid about $300 from my dealer. I leave a set of top pins in my stuff so I don't have to change them every time I switch it out.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Snave

Equipment
BX1880, LA344s, Back Blade
Nov 24, 2021
Prospect, Nova Scotia, Canada
I have it. Wont go without it again... Im aware it lowers the lift capacity, but I didnt buy a BX for its loader capacity...

I made my own 60 inch snow pusher, and forks. Fabbed up a quick jib boom for setting trusses for my Father In Law.
I would like to see a pic of your jib boom if possible. Would like to fab one up to lift ramps onto dock or at least one end or even two thirds if I can get the reach/weight etc.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Use my SSQA constantly. Wouldn't want to be without it. I gladly trade off the 282 lbs of lifting power for the convience. If loader pick up weight were a real problem, I'd go BIGGER tractor/loader wise. The BX fits my needs to a tee.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Bdog..
? what keeps the forks from rolling off,when you tilt the loader fwd ?
or the other way...
what keeps the forks locked on or secured to the loader ?

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Ssqa hands down is the only way to go. I’ve tossed 4 different items on my loader on the same day. Love the versatility and speed of it. Within a minute I can go from bucket to trailer mover, or plow, then if I need to I can toss on the forks or the grapple. the other day i swapped between the bucket and the forks. Garage space is tight. So i dropped the forks and left the loader empty when I parked at the end of the day. When I go out today, it will only take me a few seconds to toss the forks back on when I fire up the mill.

Reactions: 1 users

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I would like to see a pic of your jib boom if possible. Would like to fab one up to lift ramps onto dock or at least one end or even two thirds if I can get the reach/weight etc.
I had similar tasks to accomplish from time to time. The first time, I jury rigged a really sketchy extension to the forks with lumber:

Call it proof of concept.

Later I fabricated a stronger, more durable solution, using an industrial crane spreader that I aquired:

Planted on the ground at the above angle, it provides a nice stable lifting point. Stretched out horizontally it has very limited lift capacity -- I wouldn't try anything heavier than I can lift manually -- but good for pushing and pulling horizontally as when working with docks.

Driving around with it in either the vertical or horizontal position can be awkward. Great care must be taken around overhead wires when vertical and it requires a huge turning clearance when horizontal. Fortunately there is a convenient alternative:

Reactions: 3 users

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Steal away. Then post pictures of your version -- especially improvements that I can steal. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user