Picture of your tractor on your trailer

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I wouldn't. Rear MotorTrend's assessment of towing with the Gladiator...they are, or at least can be, pretty unstable with a heavy load. There are also a number of them with broken or bent rear frame sections from towing, within the rated amount, but off-road. The Gladiator has a couple of things against it as a tow vehicle - there is considerably hang-over of the frame and bed past the rear axle, relative to some other midsize like a Tacoma, Ranger, Colorado, etc. This is so Jeep can try to have a reasonable ramp breakover angle for off-road, as well as keep commonality with the front portion of the Wrangler JL frame. There is quite a bit of lever action on the Gladiator's hitch hanging back so far from the rear axle. Finally, unlike all other midsize and half ton trucks, the Gladiator has a solid front axle with slightly wandering steering, and coil springs at the rear which can be softer and "squishier" than the normal leafs.

It's worth noting the diesel is very powerful and is rated to tow over 10k in the RAM 1500 pickup with the same engine. However, the smaller Jeep grille and engine bay limits cooling, along with a smaller, weaker frame compared to the half ton lower the tow rating here. Both the gas V6 and diesel have an excellent 8-speed transmission made by ZF. I'll also point out the only Jeep Gladiator to get the 7,000lb tow rating is a specific model - a Sport with the Max Tow package. This is a basic trim model, which may be a problem for some people.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Gladiator and Wrangler, in fact, I own a 2022 Gladiator Overland (with a 6k tow capacity) but I would not try to tow more than 5k with it.

thanks for the reply!! i generally lean towards a bit of over kill, i never over load anything. maybe i will get the GF a 2 door to rip around in and get myself a proper truck.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
thanks for the reply!! i generally lean towards a bit of over kill, i never over load anything. maybe i will get the GF a 2 door to rip around in and get myself a proper truck.
I've tried towing loads right at the maximum weight of what a truck might be listed at, and it never goes all that well unless its at least a one-ton truck.

I've owned a 2018 Ford Raptor, towed at its limits, didn't go well. Recently owned a 2021 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel, towed to its limit - didn't go well. The Jeep that replaced it will probably only two my two-place aluminum snowmobile trailer or a 6x12 utility trailer. I'm fortunately enough to have an F-350 dually for heavy towing.

Reactions: 1 user

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
I wouldn't. Rear MotorTrend's assessment of towing with the Gladiator...they are, or at least can be, pretty unstable with a heavy load. There are also a number of them with broken or bent rear frame sections from towing, within the rated amount, but off-road. The Gladiator has a couple of things against it as a tow vehicle - there is considerably hang-over of the frame and bed past the rear axle, relative to some other midsize like a Tacoma, Ranger, Colorado, etc. This is so Jeep can try to have a reasonable ramp breakover angle for off-road, as well as keep commonality with the front portion of the Wrangler JL frame. There is quite a bit of lever action on the Gladiator's hitch hanging back so far from the rear axle. Finally, unlike all other midsize and half ton trucks, the Gladiator has a solid front axle with slightly wandering steering, and coil springs at the rear which can be softer and "squishier" than the normal leafs.

It's worth noting the diesel is very powerful and is rated to tow over 10k in the RAM 1500 pickup with the same engine. However, the smaller Jeep grille and engine bay limits cooling, along with a smaller, weaker frame compared to the half ton lower the tow rating here. Both the gas V6 and diesel have an excellent 8-speed transmission made by ZF. I'll also point out the only Jeep Gladiator to get the 7,000lb tow rating is a specific model - a Sport with the Max Tow package. This is a basic trim model, which may be a problem for some people.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Gladiator and Wrangler, in fact, I own a 2022 Gladiator Overland (with a 6k tow capacity) but I would not try to tow more than 5k with it.

In addition to the good info above, also, keep in mind other factors when considering a tow vehicle.

GVWR - how much can the tow vehicle weigh (this number includes all occupants , cargo AND tongue weight) - basically everything in and on the vehicle including larger tires, tool boxes, cargo racks, etc.

CGWR - this includes the GWVR above + the trailer and cargo on trailer.

Based on screenshot from jeep gladiator brochure - the max CGWR for V6 gas is 12,800 lb (Sport/Sport S with max tow package with auto transmission and 4.10 axle.) The base curb weight for sport/Sport S with auto transmission is 4613 lbs (Second screenshot below).

12,800 (GCWR) - 4613 (base curb weight) = 8187lbs - so with the max tow configuration, you have 8187lbs for people + pets + bed cargo + trailer + trailer cargo.
Max trailer is 7700 lbs. If you tow 7700 (trailer + trailer cargo) then that leaves 487 lbs (8187 lbs remaining of GCWR - 7700 max trailer). That 487 lbs includes people + cargo + tonge weight. If tongue weight is 770 lbs (10% of 7700 max trailer), you're over weight by 283 lbs before sitting in the drivers seat or putting anything in the bed.

The diesel is less because diesel engine weighs more than gas engine and they don't account for 4.10 axle, they only list 3.73.

1680884919382.png

1680885176271.png

Many folks (including sales folks for auto dealers, trailer dealers and camper dealers) don't fully understand this towing and capacities.

Ever noticed a tow vehicle sagging at hitch and trailer being towed sagging at front at hitch? That's a good sign of trailer tongue probably is too heavy for the tow vehicle and tow vehicle is probably over GVWR. Weight distribution hitches can help spread load, but still need to take into account GVWR and CGWR.

Many try to compensate for this with air bags or added leaf springs to raise the rear up, but they are still probably over weight.

Being overweight (in any aspect of the above) can be dangerous or tow vehicle and others on the road.

Dan

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Many try to compensate for this with air bags or added leaf springs to raise the rear up, but they
I bought a new F250 diesel about ten years ago. It had incredibly weak rear springs so I added air bags to get it level. It was well within specs so the answer was to add springs or bags. Yes, I have a scale and know what I am doing.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Being overweight (in any aspect of the above) can be dangerous or tow vehicle and others on the road.
If many people who tow, .......could just comprehend that!

tacticalturnip

Equipment
Kioti CK2610
Jan 19, 2023
NW Atlantic
Well, here are a few shots of me carting my tractors around over the past few years. First we've got a photo that I just like; I took it in line for an ATM, prior to going to the wash rack.

20200519_121424.jpg

Second, the 1025R after getting herself a new pair of shoes. When I purchased that trailer I only had a lawn tractor, the Deere was definitely pushing the limit with the loader and ballast box on. Not so bad when just the tractor though.

20200521_155824.jpg

Lastly, different truck and tractor; hauling the then new Kioti back to the dealer to have a new fuel tank put on. I rented the trailer, and it beat the hell out of that RAM, enough so that I had it delivered when the work was done. It wasn't much more than the cost of the trailer rental anyhow. Too bad I totaled the truck about a month later.

Snapchat-29343275.jpg

Now I've got an F350 and I've not had to move anything since.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought a new PJ 22ft deckover hydraulic tilt trailer this week so that I can transport tractors and implements with a wheel spacing greater than 82". I plan to pull it behind the M1078 shown and the F250 Super Duty. I ordered another set of CURT hookup brackets that I'll weld to the tongue of the new trailer for those times it's behind the F250. I won't need to use them when towing with the M1078 since it won't even know a trailer is there!

m1078_pj_tilt.jpg

10_small.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
In addition to the good info above, also, keep in mind other factors when considering a tow vehicle.

GVWR - how much can the tow vehicle weigh (this number includes all occupants , cargo AND tongue weight) - basically everything in and on the vehicle including larger tires, tool boxes, cargo racks, etc.

CGWR - this includes the GWVR above + the trailer and cargo on trailer.
For the record, those numbers are manufacturer's recommended values, not federally mandated values, or even state mandated values. A vehicle and trailer loaded well below manufacturer's recommended weights can be unsafe just as a vehicle and trailer loaded over those recommendations can be safe.

Reactions: 2 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
3 ton mini on a 20 foot 10K trailer. The only thing missing is the 3' grading bucket on the front of the trailer. Plenty of room...

U27-4R2-7.JPG

U27-4R2-8.JPG

U27-4R2-9.JPG

Reactions: 6 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I bought a new PJ 22ft deckover hydraulic tilt trailer this week so that I can transport tractors and implements with a wheel spacing greater than 82". I plan to pull it behind the M1078 shown and the F250 Super Duty. I ordered another set of CURT hookup brackets that I'll weld to the tongue of the new trailer for those times it's behind the F250. I won't need to use them when towing with the M1078 since it won't even know a trailer is there!

View attachment 99735

View attachment 99736
That’s a slick set up…if we are being true to the name of the thread, it’s lacking one of your orange monsters. 🥶. Very nice trailer though.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada

View attachment 99735
That's a nice trailer. When I eventually upgrade my 16 footer I see a 20' deck over replacing it.

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
I bought a new F250 diesel about ten years ago. It had incredibly weak rear springs so I added air bags to get it level. It was well within specs so the answer was to add springs or bags. Yes, I have a scale and know what I am doing.
Your situation was different - leveling because you need (and are not exceeding) vs exceeding and trying to compensate. In all cases what I said isn't true, but is in many from my experience.

Had a friend with a Ram 1500 that bought a travel trailer (can't recall specs, but was around 30' for a family of 4). With entire family + tongue weight (it was heavy- near 1000lbs) he was well over GVWR and added air bags to level. After their first long trip (GA to FL), he complained about winds and fuel economy so he bought a 2500 not long after.

Another friend had ram 1500 with air bags and bought a new travel trailer (retired couple) - his was under spec but he wasn't happy with how it handled and kept having issues with air bags not keeping trailer level (either air up too much or air down to much). One time, mid trip, he got frustrated with it and traded it in for GMC 2500 (only 2500/3500 on lot)

If many people who tow, .......could just comprehend that!
Yes! See above examples! That's just a couple of instances where I've had this conversation with others not fully understanding towing/weights/capacities.

Not exceeding weights + weight distribution with anti sway + getting right ball mount height makes a huge difference!

I have F150 with 20' travel trailer (less than half of my max tow and below GCWR) and I don't need a WD hitch with anti sway, but it sure helps in high winds! Especially when wind is blocked by 18 wheeler then suddenly it's not and a huge wind gust hits.

I won't tow a travel trailer without one.

Dan

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Had to take the tractor in for a recall(pipe rubbing on backhoe sub-frame) and while it was there installed a hydraulic chute deflector. Ordered just the cylinder and had hoses and couplings from summit hydraulics. Installed the loader and pallet forks and got all the snow blowers and such put away on the shelf for winter.
20230410_191919[1].jpg

My truck has 181 hp and 369 lb.-ft. of torque, the all-new 2.8L Duramax lifts Colorado’s maximum trailering capacity 7,200 lb. in 4x4s, therefore I'm just a bit over this by a few thousand pounds. Before I get attacked, live in rural area, I go slow, use common sense, sway stabilizers/weight distribution , air bags on truck, don't haul tractor often, and spent all my money on tractor/implements.

Last edited:

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Had to take the tractor in for a recall(pipe rubbing on backhoe sub-frame) and while it was there installed a hydraulic chute deflector. Ordered just the cylinder and had hoses and couplings from summit hydraulics. Installed the loader and pallet forks and got all the snow blowers and such put away on the shelf for winter. View attachment 99958
That's a great out of the way storage location. I got to play attachment tetris moving things in and out of my shed to put my blower away this afternoon.

JeffsJeep04

Equipment
2022 L2501
Oct 25, 2022
WI
Took a chance on it and it blew me away how well this towed. I’ve always been in the “tacomas are good for <5k” camp, but airbags in the back are a game changer. It certainly wasn’t a rocket ship, but more importantly it was drama free and stopped really well.

Tractor is right around 4200 with the tires filled and the box blade. Mower is around 400. Trailer is 2k on the nuts last time I did a dump run. Had a cooler and some camp stuff in the bed and 4 people in the cab. Definitely overloaded, but never once felt sketchy.
BDF23949-FFA2-40A7-9F0D-B6B1186EA02D.jpeg