Picked up Gray Market tractor today

RD Gray

Equipment
BX2200 LA211 Loader 5' rear blade Woods PHD ph35
Oct 31, 2012
Luray, Virginia
Some of you may have seen this on craigslist Zen-Noh L1501DT needs engine work. I went and looked at it last week and another guy offered more than I did. The owner called the other day and offered it to me. The other guy couldn't or wouldn't get it. So I went and picked it up today. I don't really know what I have yet, needs cam and rods from what I read on the invoice. After reading about the Gray Market tractors I notice this one has stickers under the Zen Noh stickers. If I restore this tractor should I restore it like the original stickers under the Zen Noh stickers.
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae28/rdlagray/L1501DT/edef845cac1dbc9c7c7607da8308b855.jpg
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae28/rdlagray/L1501DT/0373063c0e244a1bb75478718af615e0.jpg
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae28/rdlagray/L1501DT/360924a5d81cdf83616e6d2323c92783.jpg
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae28/rdlagray/L1501DT/388057d9a066713844c796594108d146.jpg

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
What does the base sticker say?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
In that case I'ld rebuild as a Kubota. Probably has a higher re-sell value that way. Does it so far seem to be Kubota OEM parts on it or cloned parts? If Kubota then rebuild as Kubota. If lots of clone parts making it honestly NOT kubota... then go with the other name.

BUTTT.. thats just my humble opinion. You folk now shiats more about tractors, values, the market etc... than I do.

PS- OT question, being new here... not complaining.... just questioning, why are some of my post being held back for approval while others are not? How long of a turn around time is expected on post needing approval? What about a new thread needing approval? Thanks

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Weather Zen-noh or Kubota either way its the same tractor a Kubota. Being that the base sticker is wirtten in Engrish {hehehe} I'd be willing to say its a North American model and not a grey import. Tractor Data has a L1501 listed in their group of tractor info.

RD Gray

Equipment
Oct 31, 2012
Luray, Virginia
In that case I'ld rebuild as a Kubota. Probably has a higher re-sell value that way. Does it so far seem to be Kubota OEM parts on it or cloned parts? If Kubota then rebuild as Kubota. If lots of clone parts making it honestly NOT kubota... then go with the other name.

BUTTT.. thats just my humble opinion. You folk now shiats more about tractors, values, the market etc... than I do.

PS- OT question, being new here... not complaining.... just questioning, why are some of my post being held back for approval while others are not? How long of a turn around time is expected on post needing approval? What about a new thread needing approval? Thanks
If I do restore it it would probably be with the Kubota stickers. I'm new here to never had a post held for approval.

RD Gray

Equipment
Oct 31, 2012
Luray, Virginia
Weather Zen-noh or Kubota either way its the same tractor a Kubota. Being that the base sticker is wirtten in Engrish {hehehe} I'd be willing to say its a North American model and not a grey import. Tractor Data has a L1501 listed in their group of tractor info.
Eric I was kind of wondering about those stickers being in English also. It has a lot of Japanese writing on it also as well as the metal Id tags anyone know what the PS 15 means on the tag.

The rear tires also say for Japan only.

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
ps is the symbol for pferdestärke, which is German for horsepower. The symbol ps is used in both the German and Japanese markets.

pferdestarke is the same as metric horsepower, or I should say ps is the symbol for metric horsepower.

Big Kahuna

Nice tractor, 4 wheel drive buddddddddddddddy.;)

4x4toys

Equipment
Ford LGT14D
Aug 1, 2012
southern maryland
Very nice looking tractor! I was watching that ad on Craigslist for a while. I was looking to borrow a trailer and go get it, never did find a trailer to borrow. I will be buying a trailer this weekend so I don't miss out on a sweet deal again.
I would restore that back to original Kubota if that were mine, Hope you are able to find the parts needed to put her back to good working order. Looks like the frame was repainted. Was it? How about the orange paint, is it original or repainted at some point?

Glad a member here grabbed it so we can keep track of her progress.

Well off to secure a trailer I found up in PA at a dealer. Hopefully the good Kubota deals are not all gone. LOL.

RD Gray

Equipment
Oct 31, 2012
Luray, Virginia
Very nice looking tractor! I was watching that ad on Craigslist for a while. I was looking to borrow a trailer and go get it, never did find a trailer to borrow. I will be buying a trailer this weekend so I don't miss out on a sweet deal again.
I would restore that back to original Kubota if that were mine, Hope you are able to find the parts needed to put her back to good working order. Looks like the frame was repainted. Was it? How about the orange paint, is it original or repainted at some point?

Glad a member here grabbed it so we can keep track of her progress.

Well off to secure a trailer I found up in PA at a dealer. Hopefully the good Kubota deals are not all gone. LOL.
It's all been painted atleast one time some areas I see a couple coats peeling. It will be next spring probably before I get started on it.

RD Gray

Equipment
Oct 31, 2012
Luray, Virginia
It's 100% Kubota, every nut bolt and washer.

It's 100% gray market and not a North American model.

It's 100% awesome!

Get going on rebuilding that top end chances are pretty good that the head was cracked due to overheating.

Re-badge as an L-185DT-the tire size, two extra PTO speeds and the fact that signal lights and horn were standard on the L-1501 and optional on the L-185 are the only differences.
Thanks Vic that's some good information to know.

Davie

Equipment
l1501 dt sunshine l series
Nov 19, 2013
edmonton alberta
well I noticed you asked about a l 1501 dt do you know the year of your tractor or do you have a picture of it , I have the same I think and would share what I have learned about mine

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Rd,
if you dont mind me being nosey, :)
what did you end up paying for the ol' girl?