Pee filter

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I went to the ER this morning. Ended up being a kidney stone. They gave me a couple of filters to get the stone so that they can analyze it and tell me what not to eat. They gave me 2. This seems like the type of thing I'd rather not reuse. CVS doesn't have them. Would paint filters work?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
heck if they are just trying to catch some stones to analyze.... (ouccch :eek: ) I'm guessing (hoping) they are small enough to pass thru pee pipe :D so you want to catch small so you do not have to pee out a big one to catch it. Paint strainer wont cut that. they are 125-1000 micron and all those numbers are way to large. some have said coffee filter which is 5 micron?

Try CVS pharmacy or similar. I bet they got em.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have not seen the filters in question, but what did they tell you to put the stones or pieces into to submit to the lab? You don't want to contaminate them with anything off a different filter type that would throw the test off. If it's any consolation, normal urine is sterile. Rinsing the filter they gave you and storing in a ziploc bag would be fine. Just don't lose the stone pieces. Do they want you to give them the stones in the filter?

Sorry to hear...kidney stones are awful.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Wife is Nurse Practioner. :)

Reuse filter. ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I may never drink coffee out of a mr coffee again :eek:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Bucktail, I know trying to get a loader all mounted up to a tractor it's not designed for can be a pain....but cause kidney stones.... You better be careful man!:D

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Bucktail, I know trying to get a loader all mounted up to a tractor it's not designed for can be a pain....but cause kidney stones.... You better be careful man!:D
Yeah that's on hold right now.

niteshiftfromkc

Equipment
BX25D
Apr 11, 2016
South KC, MO
Did you get the paper style or the plastic one? I have had both and just rinsed them out with water after use. You would be amazed at the pain a stone the size of a piece of sand would cause you. The last stone I had they had to do surgery to break it up with the laser. That wasn't fun at all.

And whoever said that having a kidney stone is just like birthing a child was wrong. A year after my first child was born, my wife said she wanted another. I don't go around saying that I want more kidney stones. :eek:

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
A guy I worked with had them NS HE Passed one at work one day. He layed on the floor. He passed several more over the weekend. He told us it was like trying to piss out a sandbur. Now that would hurt

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I feel for ya...never had one myself but I watched my wife go through it no less the day we were moving. I had to get my parents to take her to the hospital and when they came back home it wasn't good, the doctor told her she had vd:eek: so I took her to another hospital and the nurse at the desk knew right away it was kidney stones. Some awkward moments there for a while.:mad: Bottom line is after watching her go through it I can tell you I sure feel your pain.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I feel for ya...never had one myself but I watched my wife go through it no less the day we were moving. I had to get my parents to take her to the hospital and when they came back home it wasn't good, the doctor told her she had vd:eek: so I took her to another hospital and the nurse at the desk knew right away it was kidney stones. Some awkward moments there for a while.:mad: Bottom line is after watching her go through it I can tell you I sure feel your pain.
That first doctor needs to be slapped, stood back up and slapped again for general principal.

Wife and I were fixing to leave for our middle sons boot camp graduation in the morning. Wife woke me up and said she needed to go to the ER.

Got down there, they sent her back for some pictures. Come to find out she had a kidney stone the size of the tip of my thumb. :eek: They pumped her full of morphine, gave her some pills and we went home, picked up our daughter and left for Georgia to go to the graduation. Got home four days later, and we got hit by a tornado the following night. :eek:

Then a few days later she had to go in for lythotripsy, which they sit her in a tub of water, and give her kidney shots for an hour to break up the kidney stone.

Oh, did I mention that the day she went to the ER it was tax day (last day to pay personal income taxes)

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Girlfriend in college had one while at home. Her brother was a med student and told her he could help her pass it but it would hurt for a second. He got her against the wall and punched her fairly gently in the kidney. She screamed. It passed. Pain was gone.

Brave girl. Crazy brother.

:eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Girlfriend in college had one while at home. Her brother was a med student and told her he could help her pass it but it would hurt for a second. He got her against the wall and punched her fairly gently in the kidney. She screamed. It passed. Pain was gone.

Brave girl. Crazy brother.

:eek:
Years ago when my wife was in nursing school, she got some kidney stones. Went to the doc, doc gave her some pain pills and told her to get a six pack of beer. Take two pills and chug the six pack :rolleyes:They were gone by Monday and she didnt feel them pass :rolleyes:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Years ago when my wife was in nursing school, she got some kidney stones. Went to the doc, doc gave her some pain pills and told her to get a six pack of beer. Take two pills and chug the six pack :rolleyes:They were gone by Monday and she didnt feel them pass :rolleyes:
Lol, my kind of girl.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Years ago I had a very strange band of a different kind of pain, from the top of my thighs to the bottom of my rib cage. I had no idea what is was, but I left work & went home. Pain got progressively worse, until I had the wife drive me to the hospital. I was in agony, and thrashed around a lot in the car trying to get comfortable. (probably dislodging the stone) Finally got admitted, where I was told it would be an hour plus to be seen by a doctor. Suddenly the pain eased, and I had to urinate urgently. Passed a kidney stone (painfully) and all was fine, almost an hour before seeing a doc. Doctor was upset that I didn't try to retrieve the stone from the hospital toilet for analysis.:eek: (moron) The stone looked (and felt) just like those meteors from '50s space flicks- rocky, cratered, and spikey.
If a kidney stone is supposed to similar pain to childbirth, I won't have any kids- couldn't put someone I love through that kind of pain.:p

P.S. I've never had another stone since.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I had a roommate that was prone to getting kidney stones. When that doc asked him to describe the pain he said:" It feels like someone is using my testicles for a speed bag, and every fourth hit is an uppercut!!!!"

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Years ago I was getting ready to go to a Super Bowl party. Pain hit so hard that I didn't even hesitate, told the wife to take me to the emergency room and she knew something was way wrong because I have a fairly high pain tolerance. They gave me a pain shot and one of those strainers, never did see the stone but have been stone free for many many years, knock on wood. I have had broken bones, ruptured discs and other assorted pain producing issues but the kidney stone took me to my knees, bad juju. Started drinking real cranberry juice, suggested by someone.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
A kidney stone literally killed me. I had a stone and after dealing with it for 8 hours I talked to the doctor to confirm what it was, and he told me to got to the hospital. They gave me morphine... and i instantly felt better. They then over dosed me and I stopped breathing and my heart stopped. Then God sent someone at the right time to get a blood sample because I figured I should have some family history ailments checked out while I was there. The nurse found me there blue, not breathing, and no heart beat. They got me revived, but the stomach acids that went into my lungs cause other issues later as my lungs filled up that night. Blood oxygen level got down to 42% and I ended up spending the next couple of days on a respirator.

All turned out good in the end with no long term effects, but I like to stay away from hospitals now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk