Off Road Diesel?

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Now one more ? Bh77 backhoe I'm tall guy and I'm cramed up while using the backhoe is there anything that a can do or change operating seat to a different one
I remember someone here modded their seat so it would sit further back. I remember, because I thought I might have to do the same thing, but I have had no issues with room on my BH77.

And offroad diesel, besides no tax, also has dye in it. Red dye is all I have ever seen. It is so "they" can catch you if you run it in a highway vehicle.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I use road diesel in my tractor. The government needs the tax dollars to fight climate change.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

redm18

Equipment
B2400 with FEL and Belly Mower, G4200 with Mower Deck
Aug 14, 2023
Eastern Iowa
As said above there is no difference other than dye between on road and off road diesel. With that being said unless it's available close to you it's probably not worth seeking out off road diesel if you use it it fairly small quantities. It think around here you maybe save 1 a gallon at the most so it's not really worth driving all over to get it to me. If your using your tractor for commercial purposes at quantity it might be worth buying a tank and getting off road diesel delivered which probably saves you a little money and hassle.

Reactions: 3 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I use road diesel in my tractor. The government needs the tax dollars to fight climate change.
The government feels the same way. That's why they all drove gas SUVs to the climate emergency circle fest in NYC

Reactions: 4 users

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I don't bother with offroad diesel since the location that I have purchased it from in the past have questionable use as farms in the area generally have their own storage tanks. The gas station that I use servers the trucking industry and I have a points card that gives me up to 10 cents off a liter.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Gotta love it, Twin!

The Marxist minders want to remind everyone that summer is almost over so it is time to switch saying, “global warming,” and return to saying, “climate change.” The new “climate change” season begins Saturday morning.

Don’t be caught wearing last season’s propaganda.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
It is constantly said that the red dyed fuel is exactly the same as the taxed version. When the red dye nonsense started my heating fuel supplier pumped red fuel into my heating oil tanks. One was supplying my house and the other my shop. The shop had a new furnace with this being the second fill up. Both furnaces had their fuel pumps fail in short order. Call it coincidence, but I am not a believer that the red stuff cannot do damage.

Trash Panda

Equipment
L2501
Feb 18, 2022
Wyoming
It is constantly said that the red dyed fuel is exactly the same as the taxed version. When the red dye nonsense started my heating fuel supplier pumped red fuel into my heating oil tanks. One was supplying my house and the other my shop. The shop had a new furnace with this being the second fill up. Both furnaces had their fuel pumps fail in short order. Call it coincidence, but I am not a believer that the red stuff cannot do damage.
Used to work in Petroleum distribution, and I can assure you that it is literally the exact same product as ULSD sold at the pump, only dyed to the hilt.

It is a shitty coincidence.

Reactions: 4 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I used home heating oil for 16+ years in my BX22 until we changed the furnace over to a propane unit. Now I just buy 5 gallons at a time. I did purchase a 165-gallon Roth double wall oil tank to hook up our diesel generator to but haven't had it filled yet. The generator has a 25-gallon under-belly tank and the generator uses so little fuel, I don't see the need for the 165. I bought the tank a few years ago at a good price thinking that I would pump fuel out of it for my tractor, but I don't use the tractor very much either. Old age has caught up with me, and I am running out of energy to do much work with the tractor other than to remove snow.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have one issue with OR diesel. It doesn't get used all that much compared to road fuel, sits in the tanks at the station and gathers moisture. Moisture is death to common rail injectors and pumps. Yeah it's got a water separator on the tractor but it doesn't always get all of the moisture out.

OR diesel is identical to road fuel, except it's dyed red in order to distinguish who paid the road fuel tax and who didn't. That's the only difference.

I always use road fuel from a station that sells a lot of fuel and thus far haven't had any water issues. When I did dealer work, those tractors that had water issues, the vast majority of them were using OR fuel, whether that means anything or not is up to you to decide--but I found it interesting enough that I quit using it.

Reactions: 2 users

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
There is a high volume farm delivery company in the area and when they are delivering fuel to one of my farmer neighbors, they top off the fuel tank for my 40KW standby generator. I use that tank to fuel the Kubota F2690 and Deere 955.

Red dye is only a problem if:
1. You get caught running it on the road. I remember being at a farm auction 15 years ago and a couple of state enforcement agents were checking pickup truck fuel tanks. Not sure if they need a warrant for that but if so they must have had a mass bench warrant. There were a lot of hefty fines as a result. Note that the red dye is a heavy dose and just a few gallons in a large tank will result in a "positive" result on a dip stick. At the time, they were also writing tickets for HD pickups running light pickup/passenger car plates so some people attended a very expensive auction.

2. You buy off road diesel from a station that doesn't sell much making it more likely to be contaminated. When I used to buy it from a station, I used one 10 miles away that provided fuel to the county and townships for their maintenance equipment so they sold a lot instead of having fuel siting in a tank. But filling up a bunch of 5 gallon containers was a pain so using the generator tank with an electric transfer pump is much more convenient and a little cheaper since I get a bulk rate even though my purchases are fairly small.

Rodger

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user