Now this just ticks me off

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I called my dealer, to see if they had a landscape rake for rent.. FIRST FREEKIN QUESTION OUT OF HIS MOUTH was, did you buy your tractor here? So I asked why is that important he says if you didn't buy your tractor here we wont rent to you.
I asked WHY?
Because!
Now I did buy it there and have a good report with the sales man, a good guy working to make a buck. And he was not available so I talked to some clown, really made me feel like I was talking to a Harley dealer, and I have no use for them!
This is the kind of crap that drives people away from dealers and products, or maybe he was just like I said some kind of freekin clown

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
That wouldn't concern me too much. It's the busy time of year with high demand for limited resources. Would you be upset if a guy who was talking to them just ahead of you wanted to rent the rake but bought his tractor at a different dealer, but they told him they only rent to their own tractor customers? Probably not, if you got the rake and he didn't. They keep a few rental items available as a service strictly for their customers and not the general public. Besides, if you bought your's from them, they know who you are, where you live, and which tractor you have. I like to think of this situation as a dealer perk for their customers, not an open rental service.

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
That wouldn't concern me too much. It's the busy time of year with high demand for limited resources. Would you be upset if a guy who was talking to them just ahead of you wanted to rent the rake but bought his tractor at a different dealer, but they told him they only rent to their own tractor customers? Probably not, if you got the rake and he didn't. They keep a few rental items available as a service strictly for their customers and not the general public. Besides, if you bought your's from them, they know who you are, where you live, and which tractor you have. I like to think of this situation as a dealer perk for their customers, not an open rental service.
In my opinion, you didn't ask to borrow. You asked to rent. So why would it matter. You as a customer are paying for a service and device. You sound like you have a stealership. That's one of the reasons I sold my newer gmc diesel and stuck with ford. I got treated better bringing a 14 yr old diesel in than I did with a 1 yr old at my local Chevy dealer. I bought the gmc $58,900 at the dealer and didn't even buy the $8,000 ford there but got treated better. I'm don't need my a** kissed but would like to be treated with honesty and respect.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think you missed my point Paul,, I want to rent it,, now would you rather rent it to someone that didn't buy their tractor there or have it sit out back not making anything,, of course you would want to rent it out,, first come first served,,just MHO

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I think you missed my point Paul,, I want to rent it,, now would you rather rent it to someone that didn't buy their tractor there or have it sit out back not making anything,, of course you would want to rent it out,, first come first served,,just MHO
I'm pretty sure I understand your point, but they aren't going to make much, if any money renting out a few implements that they keep on hand. I would be really be appreciative of my dealer if they could rent me a piece of equipment when I need it, either to try out before I buy, or as a one time use, or even if I only need it once a year. This would be a way that a business keeps in touch personally with a customer. It gives a customer the feeling that your dealer wants to be helpful in a lot of different ways and when you buy from them you get that special treatment. Now, the guy you talked to was a klutz. If he would have said "I'm really sorry but, we only have a few implements available and they are reserved for short notice rental for our tractor customers." Like you said, you have a good relationship with your sales guy. He would have fixed you right up with the rake. You were upset for a situation that didn't even fit your circumstances. I would have said, yeah I bought my tractor at your place---end of problem. Taking care of your customers, having a good relationship with your sales guy, providing perks, makes the odds that you will buy supplies, parts, even your next tractor from them more likely. They get to stay in business, you get to stay happy with the dealer. Everybody's good to go.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If implements are for rent and they are not reserved when you call, then it is available and should be rented.

I would contact the business owner and explain to him the situation. He can then choose to train his employee better, or let you know his intent of his rental yard.

Simply ask if he has a line item for advertising? Of course he'll say, "Yes". Ask him if after spending all that money wouldn't he want to results of that adv. to result in a purchase of some kind? Same answer! He'll soon get the point. You can erase a lot of that money with the way you were treated and letting the word out. Let him know.

kubotaman574

Equipment
BX2670 B2650
Aug 8, 2013
Elkhart In
I'm pretty sure I understand your point, but they aren't going to make much, if any money renting out a few implements that they keep on hand. I would be really be appreciative of my dealer if they could rent me a piece of equipment when I need it, either to try out before I buy, or as a one time use, or even if I only need it once a year. This would be a way that a business keeps in touch personally with a customer. It gives a customer the feeling that your dealer wants to be helpful in a lot of different ways and when you buy from them you get that special treatment. Now, the guy you talked to was a klutz. If he would have said "I'm really sorry but, we only have a few implements available and they are reserved for short notice rental for our tractor customers." Like you said, you have a good relationship with your sales guy. He would have fixed you right up with the rake. You were upset for a situation that didn't even fit your circumstances. I would have said, yeah I bought my tractor at your place---end of problem. Taking care of your customers, having a good relationship with your sales guy, providing perks, makes the odds that you will buy supplies, parts, even your next tractor from them more likely. They get to stay in business, you get to stay happy with the dealer. Everybody's good to go.
I Agree. They are helping their Customers Out, not Renting to evey Joe Blow

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
The local dealer to me , the owners son is the service manger. I took my tractor there for my 50 hr check. I said I want the 50 hr check up service and two wires run with a switch for lights. He replied "did you buy it here ?" I simply said No I Didn't. He made out the service slip and I left. They did fine with the check up, but it still bothered me him asking. I was waiting for him to ask "why didn't you buy it here?" , but he didn't. Yes it ticks me off too. BUT not to rent a piece of equipment. He RENTS it. He's an A--hole. Period.

OldMasterTech

Equipment
KX057-4, KX121-3, L4630GST, RTV1100, AT60, T1700, T1560, 555E
Mar 28, 2011
Massachusetts
My dealer rents equipment as well but tries to restrict rentals to folks they know or trust not to beat the equipment or pull parts swaps!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I Agree. They are helping their Customers Out, not Renting to evey Joe Blow
I agree. Even renting them out, it's more of a gesture of appreciation to their customers than it is a money maker.

Either way, they have the right to set whatever policy that they want. You have the right to chose where you do business. It probably could have been handled more professionally.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
The local dealer to me , the owners son is the service manger. I took my tractor there for my 50 hr check. I said I want the 50 hr check up service and two wires run with a switch for lights. He replied "did you buy it here ?" I simply said No I Didn't. He made out the service slip and I left. They did fine with the check up, but it still bothered me him asking. I was waiting for him to ask "why didn't you buy it here?" , but he didn't. Yes it ticks me off too. BUT not to rent a piece of equipment. He RENTS it. He's an A--hole. Period.
Are you talking about Wescott & Sons? They can be real a$$ holes at times.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I agree. Even renting them out, it's more of a gesture of appreciation to their customers than it is a money maker.

Either way, they have the right to set whatever policy that they want. You have the right to chose where you do business. It probably could have been handled more professionally.

Now maybe had the guy asked, cause he was gonna knock off 10% for the rental ,then that would be a good question to ask a caller !

I hate an attitude anywhere, walmart , food lion where ever ! YOUR job is to sell or make me happy, my money, your stuff, matched pair, and ATTITUDE stick in a man's mind for a long time........ like a bad wife......

navspecwar

Equipment
B3300HST FEL, ATH72 Finish Mower, 5ft KKRear Blade,Piranha TB
Oct 5, 2013
Marion, Illinois
i hate an attitude anywhere, walmart , food lion where ever ! Your job is to sell or make me happy, my money, your stuff, matched pair, and attitude stick in a man's mind for a long time........ Like a bad wife......
lol great!!!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
One simple answer to the question of where you bought it, just say "I just moved here (from -------- town) and need to find a good dealer here now.". A little fibbing won't hurt and may get a good deal on the rent.

It was he truth for me and worked fine.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
"did you buy it here ?"
This could be a simple case of... If you said yes they would have already had all the needed information on file and could just print an invoice.
I present that question to all my customers so I don't have to re-input/re-write information that I already have on file.

Last edited:

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
Attitude like that would make me happy to give my business to another dealer.
I agree 100% if you want my $100 or $150,000 I want treated with respect and the same courtesy I'd treat you with. That's why I always wear old work clothes when I go to buy stuff from dealerships. Whether car or tractor....... I Always bring cash or have financing setup in advance. All I need are keys and a price. Unless of course I'm buying some old junk then I need a grease gun and screwdriver.