New Owner with an Oil Drip

JDaigle

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 16, 2024
New York
Hey new to tractor ownership, just bought a LX2610. I have around 20 hrs on it. After just a few minutes of light bucket work pulling mounds of gravel off my lawn, I noticed drops of fluid after being parked for a few minutes. After narrowing down the area it appears to be a leak from behind the oil filter. Again being new I’m not sure how I caused this or what exactly it is: oil filter, the o ring in the filter or some other part beyond that. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey new to tractor ownership, just bought a LX2610. I have around 20 hrs on it. After just a few minutes of light bucket work pulling mounds of gravel off my lawn, I noticed drops of fluid after being parked for a few minutes. After narrowing down the area it appears to be a leak from behind the oil filter. Again being new I’m not sure how I caused this or what exactly it is: oil filter, the o ring in the filter or some other part beyond that. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
Yep being new, let the dealer figure it out!

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
It possibly could be just loose. Worth putting your hands on it and see if it'll tighten a bit.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to the forum!
Did you buy it new or used? Any warranty on it?
Most likely, it's a filter or filter gasket issue. You could simply get a new filter, remove the old one, make sure the surface is clean and the old gasket doesn't stay on, and install the new filter. Or, let the dealer figure it out (if it's under warranty).

JDaigle

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 16, 2024
New York
Welcome to the forum!
Did you buy it new or used? Any warranty on it?
Most likely, it's a filter or filter gasket issue. You could simply get a new filter, remove the old one, make sure the surface is clean and the old gasket doesn't stay on, and install the new filter. Or, let the dealer figure it out (if it's under warranty).
I did buy it new so it’s under warranty. Of course taking advantage of the warranty is ideal and I may just have a tech come out. I’m also trying to strike that balance of learning as much as I can to not have to depend on the dealer eventually. Especially being potentially such a simple fix (hopefully). Appreciate the insight! I was ready to grab a filter and oil to do it yesterday but figured I’d get some insight here before going too deep. Thank you!

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Maybe if you explain your issue to the dealer and how your hoping to become more familiar with working on this tractor they will cut ya some slack on a new filter and oil so you could do the fix yourself without having to be out the cash.

JDaigle

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 16, 2024
New York
Maybe if you explain your issue to the dealer and how your hoping to become more familiar with working on this tractor they will cut ya some slack on a new filter and oil so you could do the fix yourself without having to be out the cash.
Great thought! I do know they offer a mobile tech to come out and walk you through the first 50hr service so I imagine they would be helpful here also. Thanks!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
THAT is SO FAKE!

NO ONE would believe that not to be STAGED ! WHO DID THIS…KATE MIDDLETON..??

ANYONE Who’s EVER opened a twist-off cap like that …… KNOWS you can’t pour the oil out that easily.

You Have to REMOVE THE FOIL SECURITY-SEAL FIRST! ☺😂🤣😅

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Well if the dealer offers to send a tech then that’s wicked. I think most dealers offer this but the cost is a bit scary. Be sure to ask first what the cost is. I have a really hard time paying 100+ per hr to change my oil.
This forum answers more questions then my dealer can or will. They always want me to bring it in and that also equals no tractor for a few days or weeks. People here are great and usually fast response times. With the proper info a WSM and OTT you can fix anything kubota that your willing to tackle. As fast as a tech maybe not but you’ll be a lot more knowledgeable after.

JDaigle

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 16, 2024
New York
Well if the dealer offers to send a tech then that’s wicked. I think most dealers offer this but the cost is a bit scary. Be sure to ask first what the cost is. I have a really hard time paying 100+ per hr to change my oil.
This forum answers more questions then my dealer can or will. They always want me to bring it in and that also equals no tractor for a few days or weeks. People here are great and usually fast response times. With the proper info a WSM and OTT you can fix anything kubota that your willing to tackle. As fast as a tech maybe not but you’ll be a lot more knowledgeable after.
This right here is the goal! Great that they offer mobile services I’m just expecting the bill to be much higher than I want to shell out. And why not take advantage of these resources and get hands on to learn, like you said get more knowledgeable by doing! Thanks man this is definitely the goal!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You said “oil filter” but there are motor oil filter and hydraulic oil filters on your tractor I think.

Which filter is leaking? You might be able to tighten it up a little but usually the factory filters are tight and painted over. I think the hydraulic filters will actually be tighteNed down against a metal surface on the filter (limiting the amount of crush on the gasket) and be pretty tight.

Everyone seems to be assuming that it is the engine oil filter. I also assume that it’s the engine oil filter. I would be worried that it got cross threaded at the factory and may have messed up the threads on the tractor side. That would make it a bit more difficult to fix depending on the way it mounts. If you do replace the filter yourself then see if it spins off like normal or does it take effort to unscrew it the whole way, visually inspect the threads on the tractor and the old filter to see if they are damaged.

There is very little probability that it is cross threaded but it shouldn’t be leaking either!

You might just live with it some and put a pan under the leak point to see if it continues to leak? It is odd that it took 20 hours to see a drip from the engine oil filter. They usually won’t have much below the filter to stop a drip.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
THAT is SO FAKE!

NO ONE would believe that not to be STAGED ! WHO DID THIS…KATE MIDDLETON..??

ANYONE Who’s EVER opened a twist-off cap like that …… KNOWS you can’t pour the oil out that easily.

You Have to REMOVE THE FOIL SECURITY-SEAL FIRST! ☺😂🤣😅
Obviously you have the gift of discernment !!!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users