New L5460

L5460

Equipment
L5460, FEL, BH92, Rear Snowblower
Nov 8, 2016
Mb, Canada
Two years ago, I bought an old 7.5 acre homestead with a lot of junk and old buildings on it. I did a lot of cleanup with some help from friends, and hiring a local guy with a massive track hoe to do some of the heavy grunt work and clean up.

My Dad had moved from his rural property about 5 years ago, but still had his MM 670 stored at his brothers. He donated it to my efforts and it has proved to be a valuable workhorse. I don't know what it will lift, but it's extremely capable, plus the fact the bucket will get up to 14 feet made it handy for many tasks.

Clearing snow with it is a bit of a pain as the bucket is only 60" and the tractor 92" wide. The turning radius of the MM is also quite large, and the visibility of the bucket/forks is very limited. I'd got it stuck and had to summon the neighbor to pull me out with his Kubota M120 more than once.

I've had in my possession the brochures for the Kubota BX/B/L series since the first couple weeks of buying the property, and kicked around in my head what I should purchase for a long time. Lurking here, and other internet sites as well as talking to a couple local farmers convinced me of the direction I should go. I've got a lot of construction going on at the property so the BH will be more than a novelty.

I got quotes on the L4060 and L4760 with the FEL, BH92 and 74" rear snow blower. For the BH, I got the pin on 16" and 30" buckets and hydraulic thumb. Pricing looked great, so I started the order process with the dealer. I said that if the pricing of some of the larger 50/54/60 models wasn't too much more, and they were easier to obtain, I would be interested in one of those. Sure enough, the jump to the 54 was negligible, and at a dealer an hour away.

I picked up the tractor and FEL, and drove it home 8 miles, and immediately dug into a pile of gravel I had dropped off earlier in the day so I had something to learn on. Well the first bucket load was my last that day....getting this thing up on 2/3 wheels was scary!!! I now know the benefit of loaded tires, and well the MM weighs double what this tractor does, plus its tiny bucket capacity.

Lots of reading on here, and determined that a ballast box is in order, and I'm going to load the tires. I'm willing to deal with the mess and hassle/cost of a flat repair for the added stability and traction all the time. The ballast box will be on when I'm using the loader without the BH or rear blower.

The snowblower, back hoe and radio came in today, I'm taking the tractor in on Friday to have the BH kit installed as well as the radio.

I'm really liking it so far, I did play around more with my gravel pile, but not full scoops. I did some back blading of my 1/4 mile driveway, and trying out the float. I like the HST and auto throttle up, very smooth acceleration. The manual that came with the tractor was severely lacking, it pretty much only covered the comfort items in the cab, and nothing really about the tractor. It sounds like the dealer has some missing documentation to give me on my next visit.

What does the 'open/close' knob beneath the seat near the floor do?? I'm sure it's in the manual, but just curious now:confused:

Sorry for the long first post (well second actually)

Steve

Attachments

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes you really do need the operator's manual. Did the dealer go over the care and feeding of a tractor with a dpf filter?

The knob under the seat regulates the speed at which tne 3 pt hitch will drop. All the way closed and it won't move at all.

L5460

Equipment
L5460, FEL, BH92, Rear Snowblower
Nov 8, 2016
Mb, Canada
Thank you Sir!!! Yes, I really like reading manuals, I like to know what I'm dealing with so I don't break it. I'm a bit surprised that the sales fellow didn't steer me towards a ballast box right off the hop. The loader manual is well detailed and very directly says to load the tires and or use ballast in a box or rear implement.

They didn't really cover much on the DPF, I read a number of threads here and watched some youtube videos and I think I understand it. Don't let it idle, get the revs up. I need to determine which variant mine is if it is the old push to activate, or newer auto on...I've kept my eye on the PM percentage and it hasn't gone over 20% in the 5 hours I've run it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You've got a nice tractor there, but you have a nice shop also!! Welcome aboard.

"Thank you Sir!!!"....a little presumptive there.:D

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Mine is auto off so to speak, the ones tnat are push to inhibit have a button with a slash through the dpf symbol, presumably same location on the dash, button furthest to the left. P.S. I am a lady sheepfarmer :)

These 60 series tractors are the greatest, I love mine. Hope you have fun with yours.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As D2Cat said, "Thank you Sir!!!"....a little presumptive there."

She - that is Sheepfarmer, that would be a - thank ya ma'am!;):D:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Looks kinda bad. A new person comes to visit us and has the courtesy to say thanks, and we get all over them!!

Don't be ran off by our peculiarities.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Don't worry about it, sheepfarmer is gender neutral, I thought my avatar of a lady sheepherder would make it clear but not so much. Ask all the questions you want until you get your manuals.

Added thought, check the back of the seat there is a compartment into which Kubota puts a copy of the manual for the tractor. Sometimes the dealer takes them out, but maybe yours is still there.

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Very nice tractor L5460, I have a similar machine L5740 and in addition o fluid in my tires, I have two sets of wheel weights and use my HR3584 or RCR2672 at 1100 pounds to get good use of the FEL. I priced a ballast box and decided to forgo one, great for some, but not me.

If you don't have one, I highly recommend a hydraulic top link.

Nice shop and enjoy your new tractor.

jrobart

Nov 21, 2018
Vermont
Took delivery of my L5460 this morning. First tractor purchase. Had settled on a 4760, but given limited availability and relatively small jump in price, ended up with a 5460. FEL, 6ft brush hog and 7ft snow blade to start.

Can't wait to put it to work on our 55 acres!