New house/driveway. Boxblade vs landplane?

PRice12

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 18, 2023
Lee County, SC
Hello all,
First let me apologize for rehashing this topic for the thousandth time. I cannot find a good discussion about this particular context.
I recently had a new house built on acreage. I am buying an MX5400 for mowing, brush clearing, some dirt moving, and general tasks/maintenance. However, we have some initial tasks that are outside of the normal scope of the tractors use. I have three problems that I need to address immediately. These are in no particular order.

1. There is an existing farm road running through the property. It is about 800' until it reaches our house. The road is very old and has developed more than a few potholes. From what I can tell it's basically sandy fill dirt that has been hard packed over time. When it's wet it either runs off or collects in the potholes/low spots, and makes mudholes. When it's dry the material is very dusty. With all the construction vehicles coming in and out it got much worse. It looks like they wore through the road base down to the soil below in some spots.

2. There is a 200' section between where the farm road is and where our house sits off in the field. During the summer there was no problem. The vehicles coming in and out packed the soil and any rain was quickly evaporated in a day or less. The construction went into November and December and now that section is a giant mudpit that doesn't drain. It takes about 5 days of warm weather to evaporate. We get appreciable rain about every 3-6 days in the winter.

3. The construction company brought in fill dirt, which is mostly sand, to grade/slope away from the house. It is a rough grade and already has some low spots forming about 40-50' away from the house. There are also some small rain washouts forming. The house sits in a previously row crop field, and our soil is mostly sandy loam. It drains very quickly in most areas, but some areas are hard packed because of the vehicles. There is also vegetation growing everywhere.

Here's what I'd like to do.
1. Regrade the driveway, without adding new material (right now). I will add stone later, but we are on a tight budget with the state of things these days. I would like to basically just fix the potholes for now, and ideally add a crown to the farm road.
2. Cleanup and regrade the natural soil area to drain off to the side (I will use the bucket to create a ditch/swale). I will also add stone to this at a later date, but I have to make due with what's there right now.
3. Touchup/regrade the slope near the house.
4. Mow the vegtation and touchup/regrade the natural soil that will be the yard areas surrounding the house.

I can only reasonably afford two implements. I am buying a rotary cutter, and would like to get either a box blade or landplane to take care of these initial tasks, as well as future tasks. I know the ideal answer would be to get both, or to get a harley rake, but as I said we are on a tight budget. I have no experience with either a boxblade or landplane, but I have more time than money and I'm a pretty quick learner.

I'll attach pictures. Please give me your best and honest advice, thanks.

EDIT: I will be waiting to do the work till we either have a couple weeks with no rain, or till April when it warms up enough to be dry in a few days.

Attachments

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I have a grader/scraper. It's great for surfacing a long road.

It is designed to move material from the end to the middle of the road. That makes it easy to build a crown. You drive down one direction and then turn around and come back the other direction. The material naturally overflows the holding areas of the implement and is deposited back on the road.

A box blade pulls material in a straight line. It can overflow the top, but isn't as easy to use as a grader scraper. It can hold more material in the box and can be dumped a little at a time by raising the box blade.

Both have scarifiers which are useful to break up the hard part of the potholes. Of course, I'm biased to a grader/scraper. In my mind, there is only one choice.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Land plane not box blade

get model with scarifiers

may want to get a chisel plow (rent?) to help with drainage.

getting the heavy equipment off will help you greatly.

getting the road professionally put in would be much better but you may not have enough money for that currently but they can really do a great job in little time if they are good quality company that does dirt roads often

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wow, you're not going to get much out of moving the dirt around, you really need to put something down for your driveway to get anything really workable.
The farm road, yea a land plane. it really does need some new material to work with!
I will caution you, You better have permission to do work on the road, some places get pretty picky about who is and is not allowed to work on a road.
Best intentions can lead to some ugly lawsuits or just plain old head aches!

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hello all,
First let me apologize for rehashing this topic for the thousandth time. I cannot find a good discussion about this particular context.
I recently had a new house built on acreage. I am buying an MX5400 for mowing, brush clearing, some dirt moving, and general tasks/maintenance. However, we have some initial tasks that are outside of the normal scope of the tractors use. I have three problems that I need to address immediately. These are in no particular order.

1. There is an existing farm road running through the property. It is about 800' until it reaches our house. The road is very old and has developed more than a few potholes. From what I can tell it's basically sandy fill dirt that has been hard packed over time. When it's wet it either runs off or collects in the potholes/low spots, and makes mudholes. When it's dry the material is very dusty. With all the construction vehicles coming in and out it got much worse. It looks like they wore through the road base down to the soil below in some spots.

2. There is a 200' section between where the farm road is and where our house sits off in the field. During the summer there was no problem. The vehicles coming in and out packed the soil and any rain was quickly evaporated in a day or less. The construction went into November and December and now that section is a giant mudpit that doesn't drain. It takes about 5 days of warm weather to evaporate. We get appreciable rain about every 3-6 days in the winter.

3. The construction company brought in fill dirt, which is mostly sand, to grade/slope away from the house. It is a rough grade and already has some low spots forming about 40-50' away from the house. There are also some small rain washouts forming. The house sits in a previously row crop field, and our soil is mostly sandy loam. It drains very quickly in most areas, but some areas are hard packed because of the vehicles. There is also vegetation growing everywhere.

Here's what I'd like to do.
1. Regrade the driveway, without adding new material (right now). I will add stone later, but we are on a tight budget with the state of things these days. I would like to basically just fix the potholes for now, and ideally add a crown to the farm road.
2. Cleanup and regrade the natural soil area to drain off to the side (I will use the bucket to create a ditch/swale). I will also add stone to this at a later date, but I have to make due with what's there right now.
3. Touchup/regrade the slope near the house.
4. Mow the vegtation and touchup/regrade the natural soil that will be the yard areas surrounding the house.

I can only reasonably afford two implements. I am buying a rotary cutter, and would like to get either a box blade or landplane to take care of these initial tasks, as well as future tasks. I know the ideal answer would be to get both, or to get a harley rake, but as I said we are on a tight budget. I have no experience with either a boxblade or landplane, but I have more time than money and I'm a pretty quick learner.

I'll attach pictures. Please give me your best and honest advice, thanks.

EDIT: I will be waiting to do the work till we either have a couple weeks with no rain, or till April when it warms up enough to be dry in a few days.
Can you afford a few loads of the cheap sandy material that your contractor used?
You need to add some additional material to shape that driveway .
Scratching/digging up your current surface is not going to be very helpful.

I would recommend the Everything Attachments "6 Way Deluxe Scrape Blade," but ONLY if you add some material to grade with.
There is a learning curve with using a rear scrape blade though.

The "land plane" (with rippers) will temporarily fill in some of your holes, and it is a tool commonly used by folks with no grading experience.
A land plane on a driveway such as yours might produce marginal improvement,....... until the next rainfall.

The land plane is not a good tool for building a crown.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
A box blade can do everything a land plane can do, and then some.
A box blade + Rake w gauge wheels, can do a lot more than a land plane can do.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A box blade can do everything a land plane can do, and then some.
A box blade + Rake w gauge wheels, can do a lot more than a land plane can do.
The major issue with a box blade is that it cannot be angled.
Great for moving/scraping dirt/material from A to B, but not for building, and holding a crown.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Can you afford a few loads of the cheap sandy material that your contractor used?

I would recommend the Everything Attachments "6 Way Deluxe Scrape Blade," but ONLY if you add some material to grade with.

The "land plane" (with rippers) will temporarily fill in some of your holes, and it is a tool commonly used by folks with no grading experience.
A land plane on a driveway such as yours might produce marginal improvement,....... until the next rainfall.

I agree with you. Other than doing the very rough grading, a 6 way scraper blade is far more useful for road maintenance than a box blade. And far more versatile. Box blades are great for initial leveling and grading of materials and also for cutting dirt to made a level pad. Otherwise I don’t find them too useful.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: NIW comment.... You better have permission to do work on the road, some places get pretty picky about who is and is not allowed to work on a road.

This is extremely important !!

It's sounds like you have a 'shared' 800' driveway, then YOU own the 200' 'private' driveway.

If this is true,get you 'Bill of Sale' for the land and see how the 'right of way', 800' driveway is dealt with. It better be in writing that YOU can make improvements, WHO has to maintain it (snow removal) ,etc.
If you don't have it in writing, get it IN writing, PDQ. While you may get along with the current owner and he says 'sure....fix the road', he could sell, and the new owner could be less than friendly......

This is similar to 'where to put the fence' problem when there's no surveys...

I turned down two propeties that had 'right of way access' . In both cases I could drive on the laneway but did NOT have the right to maintain it.

PRice12

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 18, 2023
Lee County, SC
Thank you everyone for the replies. I still see some disagreement haha. Basically what I've seen till now. I think my main hangup is will the dirt/material really "flow" over the landplane blades? I see people use it to great effect on gravel driveways but this is sand and dirt. I am going to wait till the ground dries out to do anything but I'm still not sure. And whichever I get would have the scarifiers.

Last edited:

PRice12

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 18, 2023
Lee County, SC
Wow, you're not going to get much out of moving three dirt around, you really need to put something down for your driveway to get anything really workable.
The farm road, yea a land plane. it really does need some new material to work with!
I will caution you, You better have permission to do work on the road, some places get pretty picky about who is and is not allowed to work on a road.
Best intentions can lead to some ugly lawsuits or just plain old head aches!
Thanks for the reply. I agree it really needs some new material put on it. I have been putting serious thought into biting the bullet and paying for something to put down on the last section that's really muddy.
Also, the farm road is on our property and no one else has access to it. I appreciate the thought though!

PRice12

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 18, 2023
Lee County, SC
I have a grader/scraper. It's great for surfacing a long road.

It is designed to move material from the end to the middle of the road. That makes it easy to build a crown. You drive down one direction and then turn around and come back the other direction. The material naturally overflows the holding areas of the implement and is deposited back on the road.

A box blade pulls material in a straight line. It can overflow the top, but isn't as easy to use as a grader scraper. It can hold more material in the box and can be dumped a little at a time by raising the box blade.

Both have scarifiers which are useful to break up the hard part of the potholes. Of course, I'm biased to a grader/scraper. In my mind, there is only one choice.
Do you have any experience using it on sand/natural soil? I won't have gravel or crushed stone down for a while.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Just to add another perspective…what do you plan to do with the implement after your initial tasks? To me the multi directional scraper blade has far more potential uses…so from use after the initial task I would wonder which I can make do with but have more use over the ownership…the blade is not a plane. But it will do more tasks than the plane or the box IMO, but it may not be ideal…still better than a pick and shovel and a tamper.

PRice12

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 18, 2023
Lee County, SC

Thanks for the reply. I am seriously considering putting some material down in the really bad section that is natural soil. I don't know exactly how much it will amount to but I'm guessing I'm looking at about 50-60 tons for a basic 10' driveway up to the side of the house. In any case, I had also considered the rear blade, but like you said it works better with new material. I think the blade probably gives my less versatility than a box blade and is much harder to use than a landplane. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Do you have any experience using it on sand/natural soil? I won't have gravel or crushed stone down for a while.
My driveway is crusher run 3/4 in which includes sand. I've also used mine on dirt. It doesn't work well on either one if they are wet. That would be the same for a box blade.

Fine dirt/sand will pack down.

PRice12

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 18, 2023
Lee County, SC
I agree with you. Other than doing the very rough grading, a 6 way scraper blade is far more useful for road maintenance than a box blade. And far more versatile. Box blades are great for initial leveling and grading of materials and also for cutting dirt to made a level pad. Otherwise I don’t find them too useful.
I guess I had not thought a rear blade was more versatile than a box blade. Maybe it's because of the learning curve. I just see myself making giant divits in the ground with a blade.

Last edited:

PRice12

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 18, 2023
Lee County, SC
re: NIW comment.... You better have permission to do work on the road, some places get pretty picky about who is and is not allowed to work on a road.

This is extremely important !!

It's sounds like you have a 'shared' 800' driveway, then YOU own the 200' 'private' driveway.

If this is true,get you 'Bill of Sale' for the land and see how the 'right of way', 800' driveway is dealt with. It better be in writing that YOU can make improvements, WHO has to maintain it (snow removal) ,etc.
If you don't have it in writing, get it IN writing, PDQ. While you may get along with the current owner and he says 'sure....fix the road', he could sell, and the new owner could be less than friendly......

This is similar to 'where to put the fence' problem when there's no surveys...

I turned down two propeties that had 'right of way access' . In both cases I could drive on the laneway but did NOT have the right to maintain it.
Thankfully (I guess depending on how you look at it haha), we own the property and the road. So it is ours to do with what we want, but also our burden to bear.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I guess I had not thought a rear blade was more versatile than a box blade. Maybe it's because of the learning curve. I just see myself making giant divits in the ground with a blade.
You can angle, tilt and offset. Things that you can’t do with a box blade. You can also cut ditches. The angle of the top link determines how it cuts, and if you just want to smooth gravel, you can reverse the blade 180 degrees and it will just smooth, not cut. But get a good blade that has those features and as heavy as your tractor can handle. Light blades just bounce if the gravel is hard packed.

PRice12

Equipment
Kubota
Feb 18, 2023
Lee County, SC
Just to add another perspective…what do you plan to do with the implement after your initial tasks? To me the multi directional scraper blade has far more potential uses…so from use after the initial task I would wonder which I can make do with but have more use over the ownership…the blade is not a plane. But it will do more tasks than the plane or the box IMO, but it may not be ideal…still better than a pick and shovel and a tamper.
General upkeep on the driveway. Putting in a few other dirt paths/drives for tractor travel around the property. Maybe some grading in certain areas. I was planning on using the bucket to make some ditches along the driveway/path areas, but if I got the blade or boxblade I could do that. Other than that, anything that comes up. If a neighbor needs help with something. Etc.