my EV crystal ball was right, again

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm, from the link in #19....
There will be about 3,300 employees at the Electric Vehicle Center assembly plant at BlueOval City.

That's about the SAME number of lost jobs in the Oakville plant......

Saw the same thing happen when Buttler Buildings closed down operation in Burlington. Local boss(American) said I gotta keep AMERICANS employed.....

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I recently noticed that the Massachusetts State Police are now driving Ford hybrid vehicles and I was told that the bus fleet that supplies free transportation in and around Amherst Massachusettes for the University of Massachusetts students is now an all-electric bus fleet.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think someone needs to tell Elon / Tesla that EV's just won't work. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
i don't really hate em either. I work on them, so I better not hate em.

But I won't own an electric car. Electric SxS-maybe. Picky on that subject. Ranger Kinetic really is "that" good (albeit expensive). I love them for their purpose. However I'm not so much a "ranger guy" as I am more of a trail rider, so the General fits my style and my needs better. I've been gently nudging polaris to do a crossover style UTV powered by electric motor. I might actually buy one if I can afford it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The one technology I've been keeping an eye on is hydrogen.
There are new and different approaches being looked at, as to making and using hydrogen that seems to be making forward progress.
It's based on diesel engines and not gasoline engines.

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
The one technology I've been keeping an eye on is hydrogen.
There are new and different approaches being looked at, as to making and using hydrogen that seems to be making forward progress.
It's based on diesel engines and not gasoline engines.
A friend of mine who is a retired GM Engineer and Professor of Automotive Technology sent me this video.

He is also a big fan of Hydrogen vehicles.

It looks/sounds way cooler than EV's.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think someone needs to tell Elon / Tesla that EV's just won't work. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Thing is they do work. What doesn't work is the gubermint telling you , that you have to buy one when NOTHING in the power grid is set up to do that.

Reactions: 4 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
A friend of mine who is a retired GM Engineer and Professor of Automotive Technology sent me this video.

He is also a big fan of Hydrogen vehicles.

It looks/sounds way cooler than EV's.

But wasnt that what made the HINDENBURGH burn and crash ?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
But wasnt that what made the HINDENBURGH burn and crash ?
Well, kind of, but not really, from what I have been told.

I'm no expert, but from what I can gather, the "skin" of the Hindenburg burned and made for bad press, but the H was gone in an instant.

Also, the amount of Hydrogen, in a fuel cell would seem to be minuscule when compared that of a zeppelin.

Reactions: 1 user

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I know in Powersports BRP i.e Ski-doo is marketing 2 Elec. sleds targeting Ski resorts and the like for short use times.
Also this week a Co. in Canada, Taiga which was working on the same concept declared bankruptcy this week as well. They were backed by govt. $10 Million in loans.
In time all this will shake itself out and mostly likely sooner if the Govt. stays out of it.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
GM was experimenting with a hydrogen-powered Corvair in the very early 1960s.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I do not have a problem with the concept of EVs. The problem is we do NOT have the technology or infrastructure and we are not even CLOSE. When I can recharge my vehicle in 10-15 minutes I will seriously consider one. I want to know how they will do this in major cities. I grabbed a random photo of a residential street in NY city. How are you going to charge these vehicles? Do they think the current power grid to this neighborhood can handle 500+ charging stations? That's one of a thousand streets.

street3.jpg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Following @aaluck , this is a picture I took last year near my daughter’s home in California.

I was shocked, no pun intended. ;)

Within a couple hundred yards of Monterey Bay beach. Almost never get snow, but still.....

I’m pretty sure it was a feed to a nearby house. I don’t think I chased it to its endpoint, but don’t think it’s apt to handle a large load reliably.

And that’s California…

IMG_5977.jpeg

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Those are PHONE lines!
From the website that the picture came from..
In the 1880s, the beautiful cityscapes in New York City were severely damaged by the large number of utility poles and overhead wires and cables. They ran services like telegraph, telephone, signaling, lighting and electric power.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
From the website that the picture came from..
The many cross arms in that picture, with wires so closely spaced, would seen to be only telephone, rather than electricity.
Why were the trolly cars shown, being horse drawn, and not electric?
Was electricity really widely available in NYC in the "1880's"?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The many cross arms in that picture, with wires so closely spaced, would seen to be only telephone, rather than electricity.
Here is the story on this.
Power at that place and time was DC not AC.
It required lots of lines to do the job, now with AC one set of lines do today what 100's did back then.
There was no local step down transformer it was power generated at a very local power station and distributed.
So what looks like phone lines, are phone, telegraph, and power as there wasn't any difference in the wiress, also DC can be very close as it doesn't air arc like AC.

Reactions: 1 users