Minerals for Deer

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I had about 5 deer licking the concrete cover for my lift pump the other day. I picked up a salt block with trace minerals on my way home. I live on very sandy soil, so the ground doesn't hold much for minerals. What does everyone use for minerals that they put out for deer?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Wife uses the same thing ......... she likes the all white salt lick - deer lick it all the time, shoot even the squirrels get a taste now and again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've been licking on one of those for years, keeps me feeling young and frisky!
The only issue is I freeze when some flashes their hi beams at me...
Hummm... Wait maybe that's not related....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I've been licking on one of those for years, keeps me feeling young and frisky!
The only issue is I freeze when some flashes their hi beams at me...
Hummm... Wait maybe that's not related....
The lift pump cover or the salt block?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
This is the first year I ever put a salt block or a mineral block out, more to see what happened then anything. So far they haven't touched the salt however I caught them on camera (trail camera) at the mineral block. I have video's of them at it but can't seem to post them. The mineral block is behind the salt block in the pictures.

Attachments

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
What's your address? I will GLADLY send every #)$(*ing deer in the state to check out your mineral lick if that will keep them the h3!! out of my garden and flowers!

Reactions: 1 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
What's your address? I will GLADLY send every #)$(*ing deer in the state to check out your mineral lick if that will keep them the h3!! out of my garden and flowers!
Lol, yes my neighbours want them all gone as well. I'll probably take 1 or maybe 2 at the most but no more than I can eat before the next season. Like they say a deer burger a day keeps the doctor away or something like that. :):)

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I get a kick out of all the "food plot gurus" that buy a tractor and a no-till drill to plant food for the deer. They could save a lot of time, work, and money by simply planting hostas, upright junipers, and flowers of all kinds. The deer love 'em.

bucktail

Equipment
Jun 13, 2016
MN
My cedars and long needled pines have been browsed as high as the deer can reach. I figure that if I can get some legumes growing in the lawn they'll help me with the mowing.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I get a kick out of all the "food plot gurus" that buy a tractor and a no-till drill to plant food for the deer. They could save a lot of time, work, and money by simply planting hostas, upright junipers, and flowers of all kinds. The deer love 'em.
My sister started with deer-resistant plants, advanced to deer-proof plants, then a 7 foot picket fence so she could have flowers in the back yard.

They browse on her hollies and red cedars outside the fence.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I always put out water softener salt for the critters, and they loved it.
I picked up a new in the wrapper & a slightly used mineral block from a guy who had horses.
I put the used one out and the deer & elk would not touch it. I thought maybe they could smell the horses, so I gave it away to a guy with cows.
I then put out the brand new one, and they would not touch it.
I gave that to the cow guy, and now I'm back to water softener salt, and they love it.
Who can figure critters?

Reactions: 2 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
If there is a salt lick in my back field it means the father-in-law plans on hunting from the deck this fall.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Instead of those blocks, I like putting some loose mixing salt on old stumps—gets ‘em dodi in no time, especially this time of year with the does ready to pop.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I always put out water softener salt for the critters, and they loved it.
I picked up a new in the wrapper & a slightly used mineral block from a guy who had horses.
I put the used one out and the deer & elk would not touch it. I thought maybe they could smell the horses, so I gave it away to a guy with cows.
I then put out the brand new one, and they would not touch it.
I gave that to the cow guy, and now I'm back to water softener salt, and they love it.
Who can figure critters?
I don't know anything about trace mineral requirements for deer, but sheep are very sensitive to the amount of copper in the salt mix. Too much copper and it will kill them. Horses on the other hand need it. If sheep get into the horse blocks they eventually get toxicosis and sudden exercise will cause them to collapse.

Other mineral requirements are regional, like selenium, which can also be toxic if too high. The blocks or mixes sometimes have molasses added, which makes animals consume too much. Plain salt is probably the safest.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I thought I was the only one that put salt in tree stumps,, after a bit the deer will chew lick kick and after about a year or so the stump is pretty much gone. A fellow I use to know hunted out west for mule deer and elk, he said some would use rock salt , they would dig a hole maybe a spade deep and then fill the hole with salt and then cove it up. According to him it acted like a salt lick and would last several years.