Methonol and water vs rim guard

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I am sure RimGuard works well, but windshield washer fluid is inexpensive, and you can do it yourself.
Nitrogen works well in car tires too, but also at what price?
I spent $50k on my tractor. I think it's worthwhile spending $500 on Rim Guard. I believe in spending good money on high performance, quality products. Your philosophy may differ. Also, the balloon juice we breathe is 78% nitrogen so to pay extra for pure nitrogen in your tires is pointless.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
How do you evacuate the atmospheric air that is in the tires when mounted prior to filling with nitrogen?
I don't know how they do it, but you could pump it out and then have a valve to go the other way. Frankly, I've never had interest in Nitrogen filled tires, but I also don't winterize/replace the air every year either. :D

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
but I also don't winterize/replace the air every year either. :D

??? Aren't you worried about your oxygen freezing?

Nothing worse than a tire full of frozen oxygen when you have work to do.... /smh/

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Looks interesting. They post their SDS right there so you can check it out. I like that. No clues as to the actual ingredients, though. Several mentions of slippery surfaces being a risk, but no other hazards. It would be a riot if it's nothing more than a biodegradable soap. Amway's LOC? :D I don't know if that even exists anymore.

The dealer told me it is a corn derived product, and it doesn’t freeze. It was installed when they delivered my tractor and the salesman says they do this for every tractor they sell with a loader

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The dealer told me it is a corn derived product, and it doesn’t freeze.
It doesn't attract revenuers, does it? I have heard some stories involving "corn-derived products" and revenuers. :whistle: :cool:

• Haha

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The "highly" part is highly subjective. It's used on roads all over the country. It's used because it's a lot LESS corrosive than sodium chloride (ordinary table salt), which is also commonly used.

(It's also NOT "toxic" in the normal use of that word. You can eat the stuff. Yes, eat enough and you'll have problems, just like with normal table salt.)

It's dishonest of them to use that term without any context to clarify what is meant. It's deliberately inflammatory.
Apparently you are inexperienced with chloride. It Will eat rims, it will kill vegetation if you get a leak. Just because you can’t find the answer you think you should find on the internet, doesn’t mean that it won’t.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
The Kubota dealer here only has methanol. Cheap, easy and non corrosive. More places will do repair.
Used CaCl for years on tractors older than most posters without much problem. Tubes and tires lasted longer back then too.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have hat Bio what ever it is in the B the BX has anti freeze 50/50. And if your dealer has no idea what rimguard is,,, ya might not want to take it back there for any work to be done. Just MHO

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Filling tires with nitrogen is one of the biggest rip offs in the industry

• Love

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I spent $50k on my tractor. I think it's worthwhile spending $500 on Rim Guard. I believe in spending good money on high performance, quality products. Your philosophy may differ. Also, the balloon juice we breathe is 78% nitrogen so to pay extra for pure nitrogen in your tires is pointless.
A "quality" roll over box blade on the 3pt.would provide similar weight, and would provide dual purpose utility.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
When I purchased my Kubota lx 2610 Su, I asked about rim guard and was told they don't use rim guard, and as a mater of fact didn't know what rim guard was. My question is should I be satisfied that I at least have something in the tires that will prevent freezing or should I poke the bear and try and get what I wanted which is rim guard. I have had the tractor about a year and a half, have about 100 hrs on it. Rear end seems light as it lifts easily when I'm operating the loader.
Rim Guard is heavier than alcohol/water but more expensive and can cause slippage between tires/rims.

I do not use liquid ballast, but rather, cast iron and/or ballast boxes.

Ballast boxes are more effective, more versatile, and do not interfere with tire change/repair, both of which I do myself.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
When I purchased my Kubota lx 2610 Su, I asked about rim guard and was told they don't use rim guard, and as a mater of fact didn't know what rim guard was. My question is should I be satisfied that I at least have something in the tires that will prevent freezing or should I poke the bear and try and get what I wanted which is rim guard. I have had the tractor about a year and a half, have about 100 hrs on it. Rear end seems light as it lifts easily when I'm operating the loader.
I had windshield wiper fluid in the first 3 tractors. Think they put salt water in the B2601's rear tires.

You need to have something on the 3ph in addition to the ballast water. However, the delivery guy lifted a 500 # BB out of his F150 with it cantilevered off the edge of the FEL with nothing on the back.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Rim Guard is heavier than alcohol/water but more expensive and can cause slippage between tires/rims.

Ballast boxes are more effective, more versatile, and do not interfere with tire change/repair, both of which I do myself.
Ballast boxes are also not a useful implement. I like a blade if some type back there when moving material. Ballasted tires plus an implement is the best solution.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT

Do you have any proof that RimGuard causes slippage or you just heard that it did? You do say you don't use it. ;)

I have a ballast box, but it's never on because it doesn't provide any capability other than weight while my Grader Scraper, Rear Blade, or Rotary Cutter can be used for other things. Most are heavier, wider, and add more stability.

I went with R4 tires, so I won't have flats or need tire repairs. RimGuard isn't an issue at all for me.

Obviously, ballast in tires plus 3 pt weight is more than only the 3 pt.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I weighed all the options last year when I decided to put liquid ballast in. There is a RimGuard dealer about 12 miles from me. I have no trailer and he wasn't giving the product away. . .
After reading a similar thread of pros and cons of the various options I pumped in something I'm familiar with - Cryotek 100

It's a product the company I work for sells to plumbers / heating contractors. Undiluted good to -100F. I used it 1:1, good to 10F before it starts to freeze. I don't go out on the tractor in temps below that and its stored in a heated garage.

It is as non toxic a product as I could find, environmentally friendly and a little less $$ than RimGuard.

Installing it was really easy - plenty of Youtube vids to guide you.
loading_tires_1.jpg

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
It never freezes here. So, no need to worry about it. My father put straight water in his rear tractor tires. Now, 50 years later, the steel wheels are rusting out. Just one more reason I am shopping for a new Kubota. I won't put water in the tires. Rim Guard for me.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Tire slippage with ballasted tires usually are a result of low air pressure. PSI has to be real low before they look flat. Most people use 3pt weight/ballast to gain FEL lifting power. Ballasting tires makes it harder to roll tractor over on it's side.

20200531_152828.jpg

Cleaning ditches with BX and air filled tires is a real white knuckles experience. Doesn't take long to order a "B" series with loaded tires.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Apparently you are inexperienced with chloride. It Will eat rims, it will kill vegetation if you get a leak.
I'm quite familiar with calcium chloride's effects on metals and the environment. It's much less of a problem than sodium chloride, which is exactly why it's used.