Methonol and water vs rim guard

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I'm saying its is worth it as 1. The nitrogen is dry, therefore no corrosion to start within the rim(at the seal) THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME AS I HAVE WORKED ON A PASQUALI TRACTOR THAT NEEDED ALL 4 RIMS DUE TO CORROSION THAT HAD TO CUSTOM MADE. Also have refused to install tires on rims as the bead area was just rusted/corroded away(YES I have had a bead fail when mounting tires). I am in the rust-belt and shit rusts here, anything, that I can do to prevent rust that costs $24 I am going to do it. 3. As a tech do you really think I talk to customers?(I make the dealership money by working on cars not talking with customers). 4.This is a website for Kubota owners and I bet you that some on here do not check tire pressures on anything.
Unless you buy very good nitrogen and have a dryer on the system do not assume that there is no water in the nitrogen. It is far less than compressed air but not zero.
Decades in labs and ALL our gas lines had serious dryers on them.
I really do not care what people put in their tires.

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I'm saying its is worth it as 1. The nitrogen is dry, therefore no corrosion to start within the rim(at the seal) THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME AS I HAVE WORKED ON A PASQUALI TRACTOR THAT NEEDED ALL 4 RIMS DUE TO CORROSION THAT HAD TO CUSTOM MADE. Also have refused to install tires on rims as the bead area was just rusted/corroded away(YES I have had a bead fail when mounting tires). I am in the rust-belt and shit rusts here, anything, that I can do to prevent rust that costs $24 I am going to do it. 3. As a tech do you really think I talk to customers?(I make the dealership money by working on cars not talking with customers). 4.This is a website for Kubota owners and I bet you that some on here do not check tire pressures on anything.
So if your tractor tire pressure drops a little, or you want to increase pressure because you are now using a heavier implement, you have to wrestle the tires off the tractor, haul them to a dealer, get them filled and reverse the process. I can see that happening, Not.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It's NOT the 'air' that destroys tractor rims..it's the dang 'salt water'. Using nitrogen instead of air won't save a rim filled with salt water.
I've had 6 out of 8 tractor rims destroyed due to salt water being in them. Sadly #7 is a new tire/tube the PO put on a good rim and it's filled with salt water.....

I have to refill 3 of 4 tires on my F150 every 2 weeks as they are aluminum rims. I'd swap them today for steel ones...they never leaked on ANY of my previous rides.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
It's NOT the 'air' that destroys tractor rims..it's the dang 'salt water'. Using nitrogen instead of air won't save a rim filled with salt water.
I've had 6 out of 8 tractor rims destroyed due to salt water being in them. Sadly #7 is a new tire/tube the PO put on a good rim and it's filled with salt water.....

I have to refill 3 of 4 tires on my F150 every 2 weeks as they are aluminum rims. I'd swap them today for steel ones...they never leaked on ANY of my previous rides.
Interesting. I have aluminum wheels on both my truck and Jeep and they seldom need additional air.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Interesting. I have aluminum wheels on both my truck and Jeep and they seldom need additional air.
The "salt water" used in tires is actually CaCl (Calcium chloride) .....salt is NaCl (Sodium chloride).

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The "salt water" used in tires is actually CaCl (Calcium chloride) .....salt is NaCl (Sodium chloride).
They are both technically a salt

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Your F150's rims have a problem specific to only them, then. I've had aluminum rims on my vehicles for the past 30 years and none have leaked.

Reactions: 1 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
When I purchased my Kubota lx 2610 Su, I asked about rim guard and was told they don't use rim guard, and as a mater of fact didn't know what rim guard was. My question is should I be satisfied that I at least have something in the tires that will prevent freezing or should I poke the bear and try and get what I wanted which is rim guard. I have had the tractor about a year and a half, have about 100 hrs on it. Rear end seems light as it lifts easily when I'm operating the loader.
Carheir, Did you ever get the answer to your original post ?

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
Aluminum wheels in rust belt areas are a PITA to keep inflated.
TPMS sensors alert drivers all to often.
It's hard to find steel wheels anymore.
Big truck AL wheels are still good stuff.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Aluminum wheels in rust belt areas are a PITA to keep inflated.
TPMS sensors alert drivers all to often.
It's hard to find steel wheels anymore.
Big truck AL wheels are still good stuff.
Interesting. Why in rust belt areas? I thought aluminum doesn’t rust. I have them on all my vehicles and never had a problem with them holding air.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Steel rusts, aluminum corrodes... salty water( is not just H20 and CaCl...) is an electroyte which aids in the corrosion. Aluminum is quite porous,unlike steel. Some actually apply a 'coating' tot h inside to prevent air escaping.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Not sure how this went from tractor tire ballast to nitrogen in road vehicle tires, but since some in here seem to be proponents of the “pure” (maybe it is) nitrogen dealers are pushing, one of the issues I have with nitrogen only is I rather routinely drive a 4WD. Contrary to what seems to be common wisdom that most 4WD vehicles never actually leave pavement, mine leaves pavement quite routinely. That same truck also gets used for towing a camper and equipment trailers routinely so it runs 10 ply rated mud tires rated for both stability towing and puncture resistance off road. They’re rated for 65 psi but of course that’s the tire rating, not vehicle mfg suggested.

When driving on loose sand or really sloppy mud, reducing tire pressure to around 12 psi is SOP. 12 psi ain’t working for high speed pavement duties. Trailering above about 5K gross on the trailer: 45 psi in rears, 35 psi in front gives good stability. If I’m just riding around on pavement sans trailer, 32 psi in all 4 rides better.

I have a tire inflator in the truck at all times to allow for all this. It doesn’t take up much room behind the driver seat. Never had a problem with any of this. Not really sure how that would work with nitrogen as I don’t really care to cut my already limited cargo capacity (it’s just a pickup) by constantly toting around a nitrogen bottle.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Steel rusts, aluminum corrodes... salty water( is not just H20 and CaCl...) is an electroyte which aids in the corrosion. Aluminum is quite porous,unlike steel. Some actually apply a 'coating' tot h inside to prevent air escaping.
CaCl (Calcium chloride), and NaCl (Sodium chloride) are very corrosive agents.
They will both corrode steel , and aluminum!