Metal pieces in hydralic oil and filter

jkrez

Equipment
Gr2120, LX3310, bh77 hoe, 64 inch commercial snow blower, landpride pallet forks
Apr 16, 2021
Berks County PA
I just split my Gr2120 mower deck gear box and found the same thing. It was from a bearing race/cage. The bearing looked as though it lost some balls. After looking closely it was for sure the cage around all the balls.

Reactions: 2 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Changing oil filters on kabota m7040 yesterday and found large piecescof metal in them, where could they be from?
That was a bearing cage ........... I would be breaking the machine down and find the problem BEFORE it becomes a situation where IT cannot be fixed!!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
Changing oil filters on kabota m7040 yesterday and found large piecescof metal in them, where could they be from?
That definitely looks like the race from a ball bearing.
I would think something is either loose or making noise. Being internal is a Big deal. I would not run it until I found the issue.

Reactions: 2 users

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Yikes!!! Hopefully you caught it before doing major damage. Good luck and let us know the results

Reactions: 1 users

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
For that much of the bearing to have come apart and ended up in the sump, I'd guess the "event" was a while ago and by now the rest of the debris has gone to the bottom of the gear case too, Not a nice thing to see - but if there are no new sounds it may be benign for now....

If you could put a coin or other size reference in the pic someone might be able to guess where in an M7040 there are bearings like that - where to start taking it apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
For that much of the bearing to have come apart and ended up in the sump, I'd guess the "event" was a while ago and by now the rest of the debris has gone to the bottom of the gear case too, Not a nice thing to see - but if there are no new sounds it may be benign for now.... If your dealer knows the M7040 they might be able to say where it came from and whether it should come apart to chase it.
There is no such thing as a “benign” bearing failure.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
In fact there are millions of them - most of the noisy wheel and gearbox bearings on the roads are caused by surface defects on the rollers. Many run for years that way. Once the cage is chewed apart, odds of more damage increase. Kubota gearboxes are very strong - big failures from bearing failures are nearly unheard of.

Last edited:

kerrie nokkaew

Equipment
Kabotam7040
Jun 10, 2021
Thailand
For that much of the bearing to have come apart and ended up in the sump, I'd guess the "event" was a while ago and by now the rest of the debris has gone to the bottom of the gear case too, Not a nice thing to see - but if there are no new sounds it may be benign for now....

If you could put a coin or other size reference in the pic someone might be able to guess where in an M7040 there are bearings like that - where to start taking it apart.
Thank you. It slipped my mind.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
if that ball bearing came apart, you'd know it. Any abnormal noises? Operate ok? Do you know the history of the tractor?

kerrie nokkaew

Equipment
Kabotam7040
Jun 10, 2021
Thailand
if that ball bearing came apart, you'd know it. Any abnormal noises? Operate ok? Do you know the history of the tractor?
He contacted the agent he bought it through. It's a series of problems. There had been a bad sound, he thought the gears, he had dismantled the engine, now started on the hydraulics. The initial metal sound has gone. The hydraulics seem to work again now too. It's a work in progress. He thinks all the metal has come out in the oil. The pieces together may measure, roughly, the size of a cotton reel.

kerrie nokkaew

Equipment
Kabotam7040
Jun 10, 2021
Thailand
Yikes!!! Hopefully you caught it before doing major damage. Good luck and let us know the results
Everything seems to be working again. The hydraulics stopped after filling oil again, and would not show on the dipstick, sounds seem to have decreased. Now problem with the grass cutter. It's a continuous project. Fingers crossed no more problem from internal systems.

jkrez

Equipment
Gr2120, LX3310, bh77 hoe, 64 inch commercial snow blower, landpride pallet forks
Apr 16, 2021
Berks County PA
That bearing will eventually explode and take out other stuff.
I would not sleep at night knowing what is going on inside.
Here is old bearing and new bearing. You have an issue like the one on left. It will give out, and I think it may be catastrophic!
Please look into what bearing went out.

Attachments

Last edited:

NY DON

Equipment
Kubota BX 2370
Jun 12, 2021
Dryden, NY
I have a less serious, but real annoying problem caused by my own stupidity. 2014 BX 2370-- I fuel it up and when I added the fuel treatment, The foil piece inside the lid of the treatment bottle fell into the tank.
Dismantling and removing this will be a very expensive process. Tractor runs fine when tank is full, but on sled areeas when the tank is below 3/4, it plug the line somewhere. If I shut machine off and/or rock it to slosh the fuel, I can get it running again. Any quick fixes?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I have a less serious, but real annoying problem caused by my own stupidity. 2014 BX 2370-- I fuel it up and when I added the fuel treatment, The foil piece inside the lid of the treatment bottle fell into the tank.
Dismantling and removing this will be a very expensive process. Tractor runs fine when tank is full, but on sled areeas when the tank is below 3/4, it plug the line somewhere. If I shut machine off and/or rock it to slosh the fuel, I can get it running again. Any quick fixes?
You could try making a "minnow dipping net" that would fit through the filler neck and go fishing for it. You might get lucky quickly or it may take a little while. Shining a light down the filler neck might help to locate the object.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Run it until very low (or siphon it until very low) to reduce the amount of fuel in the tank. ‘Run the tractor onto a ramp or slope to bring the remaining fuel as close to under the tank-cap in an effort to bring the floating foil beneath the cap.

If it isn’t visible in that method, the “slosh” the fuel to “wash” the foil to the area beneath the cap.

Use forceps or long needle-nose pliers to retrieve the foil.