Maybe it's just me.....new member posts asking questions

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I am amazed that many do not do much, if any, searching to see if the question has been covered in detail previously. You can declare half of the internet search is wrong but do a search to see if you can learn something is spite of that. If someone doesn't have internet or forum experience they have to be over 50 years old and living off grid. ;)

I've gotten to where if someone gives a short question, I may just return a short answer.
I was over 40yo when I joined this site. It was also the first forum I've ever been on.

I've never belonged to any type of social media before then.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I haven't experienced this on the forum, but one of my pet peeves goes like this:

Someone comes to me for advice on or diagnosis of a problem, because they have been told I have some experience or knowledge in various mechanical, fabrication, industrial, automotive, aviation, scientific, antiques, restoration, materials, (you get the idea) area.(s)

I hear them out, then give my diagnosis or advice on their problem, giving my take on why/how it happened, and some various solutions for the remedy.

Then they argue with me, telling me I am wrong!

Why in the F did they come to me for my knowledge if they don't want it, or have already decided on a (wrong) diagnosis or solution?

Infuriating!

I now seldom talk to folks on this sort of subject, because although I want to help, few seem willing to accept my help.

If you looked up this behavior in some psychology reference book, there would be a picture of my youngest brother. He has made a disastrous mess of his life from a young age, going from one stupid move to another.
In every case, he came to me for advice on how to proceed; and in every case, he did just the opposite of what I advised. I seldom speak to him anymore.

Reactions: 3 users

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
I haven't experienced this on the forum, but one of my pet peeves goes like this:

Someone comes to me for advice on or diagnosis of a problem, because they have been told I have some experience or knowledge in various mechanical, fabrication, industrial, automotive, aviation, scientific, antiques, restoration, materials, (you get the idea) area.(s)

I hear them out, then give my diagnosis or advice on their problem, giving my take on why/how it happened, and some various solutions for the remedy.

Why in the F did they come to me for my knowledge if they don't want it, or have already decided on a (wrong) diagnosis or solution?

Infuriating!

I now seldom talk to folks on this sort of subject, because although I want to help, few seem willing to accept my help.

If you looked up this behavior in some psychology reference book, there would be a picture of my youngest brother. He has made a disastrous mess of his life from a young age, going from one stupid move to another.
In every case, he came to me for advice on how to proceed; and in every case, he did just the opposite of what I advised. I seldom speak to him anymore.
I hear ya on that one. Or they ask you, you tell them how to do something properly, then they do it they're way, screw it up, then they call you to fix it. If it even can be at that point.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee lil foot, you mean I'm NOT the ONLY ONE this happens to ? time,after time, after time.....!!!!

I've given up trying to help a few 'know-it-alls', especially the one that's next door. Others appreciate my 'words of wisdom' being 70 and retired for 1/2 my life means I must have done a few things wright,er write, um, oh... right ! that was the only right ,left.....

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I agree the recent questions appear to be very vague.

Yet, that could be from the simple fact the new poster(s) don't realize what is and what isn't important information. I would guess many of the long time posters on here have grown up/been around tractors/equipment to realize what information is needed to start down a general diagnostic road.

Yet as it has been pointed out, the owner's manual of vehicles from the 50s would talk about adjusting points, yet now days,

So, I think times have changed.
What! Why can't I drink the battery fluid? I just can't figure out how to get to it since the top of the battery is sealed. Can you help me to get into that delicious fluid? ;)

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Like Daren, I was never on any kind of forum before OTT.

But internet or not you start with Year, Make, Model, etc.... ;)

Have any of these people been to a parts counter?!?!? How can you forget that??!?!? 😳

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
parts counter ??? twothumbs have no idea what THAT is !!!
they just go to amazon and stuff gets delivered, next day, right to you...... :oops:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Doing construction projects, I get this all the time.

Being on the forum, I get it more times than I care to count.

I may not know everything about Kubota's, but I know enough to be dangerous!
Oh wait... maybe that supposed to be, know enough to be helpful.

Hey if you don't want to listen to my advice, than so be it, and have a nice day! :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
There’s a culture shift going on for sure.

I’d like to give a shout out (credit) to the following:

1. Everyone gets a medal philosophy
2. Helicopter moms
3. Dads who won’t criticize or correct
4. No value, appreciation or understanding of life skills.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
I am 33? years young going on 65. Dealing with the public anymore makes me want to pull my hair out, especially my own generation. I do like attempting to help people from time to time but some have made it so difficult I find myself more and more filing them in the cannot be helped category and moving on. I did my time working in auto parts and dealing with people every day and hopefully I'm never that desperate again.

Personally I blame the government and nanny laws. We don't let natural selection take its course anymore. The longer I live the more that movie Idiocracy seems like a prediction rather than fiction.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am 33? years young going on 65. Dealing with the public anymore makes me want to pull my hair out, especially my own generation. I do like attempting to help people from time to time but some have made it so difficult I find myself more and more filing them in the cannot be helped category and moving on. I did my time working in auto parts and dealing with people every day and hopefully I'm never that desperate again.

Personally I blame the government and nanny laws. We don't let natural selection take its course anymore. The longer I live the more that movie Idiocracy seems like a prediction rather than fiction.
At age 83 the frustration often approaches intolerable!

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
We're in for a sh%t storm. I'm glad that I'm old.

Met a 40 year old the other day. Couldn't check or change the oil in his car. Didn't know how. He says... "That's what the Service deptartment is for where I bought my expensive high performance car. With the extended Service package". Get this.... He lives as a programmer in his mom's basement. (Probably makes 150 grand or more a year living in the house his parents paid for with blood, sweat, and tears).

Different times.

My Dad taught me life skills.

Like;
>Working on cars, tractors, motorcycles, fixing the house plumbing, roofing and electrical.
>How to talk to girls. How you treat them right.
>Why you work hard for your employer, and give them respect unless they are abusive or fools.
>Why we respect the flag of our nation. And the signs of when the Gov goes rotten. Why men fought and died for freedom. And what is freedom.
>My dad also beat my ass, (spanked me) when I did stupid stuff. I learned instant pain for willfull mistakes..... And I learned responsibility.

Most kids don't have that today. My dad didn't send me to 'time out' in the corner like they've been doing to children for decades. Generally, the kids from the 80's and on, aren't grounded. They aren't grounded in anything. It's just do what you want. They don't understand responsibility.

No substance. No baseline. No morality. No pride in country, or valor. No respect for veterans or the police. No respect for their parents or grandparents (me). It's an "All about me" mentality Free-for-all. We can thank the hippie generation and it's promoters. AND the internet.

Back to online forum stupid questions... this is usually why.

Last edited:
  • Love

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
From my perspective as a 56 year old who hasn’t been on this site long and this being my first Internet forum I’ve actually participated in to any degree and also as a manager of folks ranging from 61 to 22 I have a couple of thoughts.

One is a “mechanical” generation v a “computer operator” generation. Example: My father got a new TV because his old one exhibited a small flame and copious smoke to announce its demise. He had followed the directions to the letter to set it up, been on the phone with tech support for at least two hours, and couldn’t get it to do the channel setup thing on his over air antennae. I stopped by to check on him and asked what he was doing. He was carefully boxing up the TV to return it. Asked him to let me have a crack at it so he did. He gave me the instruction manual which I totally ignored while hitting all sorts of buttons on the remote until I finally got to the setup screen I was looking for, set it to antennae, and started the automatic channel scan. As it started he asked what the TV was doing as he hadn’t seen that before. Told him it was automatically finding all the available channels but we could go back and edit later if he wanted. He asked how I got it to do that. Told him honestly, I didn’t know. I just hit buttons until it did what I wanted it to do. A few minutes later his TV was working. And we had a discussion about the “mechanical” mindset he grew up with v the “computer operator” mindset. I understood his viewpoint was to read and follow instructions EXACTLY. If you’re reading a repair manual and it tells you to torque the head bolts in a specific pattern to specific torques in steps with a final torque on the third step through the sequence, THAT’S WHAT YOU DO if you don’t want to waste hours of time and trash expensive parts. If you’re setting up a TV and hit the wrong button, you’re not going to trash the TV but the instructions were probably translated from Korean to English by a person to whom English is a second language so the instructions probably suck, thus you mess with it until you get it. Totally different mindset.

On the other side, my son, an intelligent, hard working man who works in software sales and makes more than I ever have, had a spindle go out on his zero turn. He wanted help fixing it as he paid zero attention to such things growing up and now regrets it. So I took him through the thought process. It goes back together EXACTLY as it was before, so take enough pictures you can accomplish that before disassembly. Check the part for a part number. Check that against the part diagram in the manual to confirm. Call the dealer and/or get on the computer to source the part by make and part number. Read over the manual describing the replacement procedure to determine any torque specs, additional seals, gaskets, etc. needed that may not come with the part. Order the part and replace back to what it looked like before following the procedure in the WSM. This level of detailed instruction following was a bit new to him as well. However, he has been able to utilize similar thought process on mechanical and household repair issues going forward. It’s a different mindset.

The other thing, as some others have pointed out, is interacting with others on a forum of this sort does have a little bit of a learning curve. I must admit, though, it’s irritating when a question is asked, responses include relevant follow up questions, and the follow up questions receive no response or are dismissed as irrelevant.

One last thing: My son and I were riding past a billboard one day while he was still in college. It said something about a rather shockingly high high school drop out rate in NC. I said something about that being awful. He said it looked good to him. Asked him why. He said, “F&$@ those losers. Less competition for me.”

There are still some out there that understand you can say whatever you want, but you’ll never get any calves if you only have cows in the pasture. And you’re owed nothing unless you put in the work to take it. I’m related to some and some work for me. Those who don't understand that don’t work for me very long.

I do agree there are many who are entitled wastes of air.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Well, folks don’t know what they don’t know. They may not know enough to even formulate a reasonable question.

Any more, so many people have nearly zero critical thought capability and no interest in developing it. It’s no wonder many have no idea how to operate, trouble shoot or repair something as simple as a paper clip, let alone some of this orange iron some of us are privileged enough to own (not that it’s luck that we do, most of us worked hard for that privilege).

For me, necessity was the mother of invention. Growing up “economically repressed” I had no choice but to figure out how to fix whatever was broken. My Dad facilitated that greatly, by way of demonstration and expectation. In fact he made a living fixing stuff other folks had given up on. Now I make a living solving problem most can’t (or at least don’t).

I taught my daughters there are two types of livelyhood in this world. One doing tasks others don’t want to do, the other doing work that others cannot do. One pays better than the other. They both took heed and will always be able to provide well for themselves. But, I do think they wished they’d paid more attention to what I was doing with my tinkering around when they were young.
Not too many 20 something year old women will help old Dad do a brake pad swap in their driveway, but they get it now.

Reactions: 3 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
To add another example to the conversation, I received a phone call and the employee was sprayed with a chemical and wanted to get a copy of the SDS.

I said ok, which chemical? "The one we use." Ok, we only have 500+ chemicals listed in our database, can you narrow it down.

"It is for cleaning." Ok, that eliminates some, but cleaning what?

"For removing dirt." OK, that is what most cleaning products do, removing dirt from what?

"We use it to clean air conditioners." Would you be talking about coil cleaner?

Yes, that is it. Which brand of coil cleaner were you using? (we only have seven different ones on our list.)

"It is a blue can I think."

At this point I told him, "I think you are going to die."

He said oh my God it is that bad?

I said, 'nope, but I'm going to kill you if you don't pick up the can and read what is on the label to me.'

He did and we got it taken care of, but that situation yesterday get me thinking of this thread.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
On the other hand, there's people that post things, it may be something important to them and some choose to ridicule them for their post with condescending attitudes.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
We're in for a sh%t storm. I'm glad that I'm old.

Met a 40 year old the other day. Couldn't check or change the oil in his car. Didn't know how. He says... "That's what the Service deptartment is for where I bought my expensive high performance car. With the extended Service package". Get this.... He lives as a programmer in his mom's basement. (Probably makes 150 grand or more a year living in the house his parents paid for with blood, sweat, and tears).

Different times.

My Dad taught me life skills.

Like;
>Working on cars, tractors, motorcycles, fixing the house plumbing, roofing and electrical.
>How to talk to girls. How you treat them right.
>Why you work hard for your employer, and give them respect unless they are abusive or fools.
>Why we respect the flag of our nation. And the signs of when the Gov goes rotten. Why men fought and died for freedom. And what is freedom.
>My dad also beat my ass, (spanked me) when I did stupid stuff. I learned instant pain for willfull mistakes..... And I learned responsibility.

Most kids don't have that today. My dad didn't send me to 'time out' in the corner like they've been doing to children for decades. Generally, the kids from the 80's and on, aren't grounded. They aren't grounded in anything. It's just do what you want. They don't understand responsibility.

No substance. No baseline. No morality. No pride in country, or valor. No respect for veterans or the police. No respect for their parents or grandparents (me). It's an "All about me" mentality Free-for-all. We can thank the hippie generation and it's promoters. AND the internet.

Back to online forum stupid questions... this is usually why.
100% CONCUR !!!!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When it comes to communication I always remember what General MacArthur said. He told his communications officer, "Don't ever issue a communique that can be understood. Always issue a communique that can not be misunderstood."

I suggest doing the same when writing. Remember in English class being taught how to write newspaper stories, who, what, when, where, why, and how?

Perhaps the funds spent on football, soccer fields and basketball courts would be better spent on education. The citizens would end up with a better product!!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
No doubt we are going through a cultural change. Many of us here that dole out advice grew up with manual transmissions that we had to learn how to clutch and shift. Then we had our 8 track tapes that we had to learn how to clean the heads when the music sounded crappy. No such thing as plug and play.

A friend jokes that he leaves the keys and doesn’t lock the doors on his old manually shifted truck because no thief would know how to drive it. 8 track tapes hung around for 10 years. Now technology that you get for Christmas is already obsolete by Easter.

So, I am willing to cut the younger generation a break. After all, when I have an issue with my IPhone, I hand it to my twelve year old granddaughter and she patiently walks me through the fix. And I am sure she and her friends chuckle about it

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
No doubt we are going through a cultural change. Many of us here that dole out advice grew up with manual transmissions that we had to learn how to clutch and shift. Then we had our 8 track tapes that we had to learn how to clean the heads when the music sounded crappy. No such thing as plug and play.

A friend jokes that he leaves the keys and doesn’t lock the doors on his old manually shifted truck because no thief would know how to drive it. 8 track tapes hung around for 10 years. Now technology that you get for Christmas is already obsolete by Easter.

So, I am willing to cut the younger generation a break. After all, when I have an issue with my IPhone, I hand it to my twelve year old granddaughter and she patiently walks me through the fix. And I am sure she and her friends chuckle about it
You're correct. However, when I hand an electronic gizzmo to a younger person they push so many buttons and hand it back. I learn very little about solving a similar issue in the future. They are in a hurry to get back to their "world"!