Lowes fires employee who had been with them for 13 years for trying to prevent shoplifting

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Recently saw a news article where Lowes had fired an employee of 13 years because she tried to stop shoplifters from stealing from the store, the employee was brutally assaulted when she tried to stop the thieves from pushing an unpaid for cart of merchandise out the store.
Lowes rewards her by terminating her,
Shoplifting results in business raising prices which are paid by honest people who actually pay for their purchase,
I have sent Lowes a letter advising them my family will no longer be patronizing their store because of how they have treated this employee and their policy rewarding shoplifters

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Recently saw a news article where Lowes had fired an employee of 13 years because she tried to stop shoplifters from stealing from the store, the employee was brutally assaulted when she tried to stop the thieves from pushing an unpaid for cart of merchandise out the store.
Shoplifting results in business raising prices which are paid by honest people who actually pay for their purchase,
I have sent Lowes a letter advising them my family will no longer be patronizing their store because of how they have treated this employee and their policy rewarding shoplifters
I have always favored Lowe's over Home Depot because of their business practices & employee policies.
That feeling has just ended for me.
I will avoid Lowe's in the future.
I saw a TV interview last night with the terminated Lowe's employee.
She was heartsick!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yeah, try that in a small town!

I despise Home Depot and Lowes and generally shop at the local ACE store as much as possible, and Murdochs. I'd rather pay 15% more for items than support the BS agenda of so many large corporations that have caved to the "woke" factor. Next thing you know we'll be pulling down statues and putting up new ones to appease the squeaky wheels that are a significant minority.

Reactions: 4 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Guess I'm going to go shop(lifting) at Lowes today. Nice to know where I can get away with my criminal activity.

• Haha

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
ET has the right idea...we should all swarm the local LOWES and get our share of 'free cheese' !!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
So you support and encourage looting and theft. I know you were trying to be funny.

The Lowe's policy is to let police deal with the criminals and protect the employee. There are plenty of cameras including plate readers in the parking lots (some stores).
The employee did not follow the terms of employment and she put herself in danger. It is really a stupid idea to risk your health over a few thousand dollars of tools. What if instead of punching her the guy pulls a knife or gun. Then it is end of story.

notaz3

Mar 16, 2021
ID
As a former employee of Lowes she should have been fired. They put out in orientation and continued education that employees are not to interfere with attempted shop lifting for their own safety.

Your letters should be sent to local politicians in regards to laws/regulations that prevent the prosecution of theft. I know in California law enforcement will not even show up unless the theft is over $1,000.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
What it costs Lowe’s in work comp and liability premium to have employees involved in stopping shoplifting instead of leaving it to police (who often do nothing depending on jurisdiction) is almost certainly more money than the shoplifting itself. It’s a crazy system, both civil and criminal, that seems to be weighted toward the rights of criminals who, IMO, shouldn’t have rights.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
As a former employee of Lowes she should have been fired. They put out in orientation and continued education that employees are not to interfere with attempted shop lifting for their own safety.

Your letters should be sent to local politicians in regards to laws/regulations that prevent the prosecution of theft. I know in California law enforcement will not even show up unless the theft is over $1,000.
I respectfully disagree. Firing for a single incident like that is a bit over the top. I'm not saying it isn't their prerogative, just that it's a bit much. A lot much, actually. Unless, of course, they fire people for the 1st violation of any part of their code of conduct.
While we should hound our elected officials, we should also hound Lowe's. Their ineptitude costs the customer money. The hundreds of thousands of dollars stolen dont just get written off. It gets passed in to you and me. Maybe they need to hire armed guards at some stores. I'd rather see a hammer go up a nickle to pay for a real theft prevention device, than go up because someone stole things.

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
It's sad to say but Lowes is not the only business turning their back on the shoplifter/looters. My wife has a friend who works for one of the large chain gas/convenience stores in the area. This teens come in on their way back from school and grab and go with impunity. She has been warned she would be terminated if she intervened. The cops could help but they are too busy and are not going to drop everything to teens with $10 - $20 of goodies. You and I get the privilege of paying for it with higher prices. Sad days indeed...unfortunately I do not see the light for this problem, right has become wrong and wrong has become right.....:oops:

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I wish every store I go in would have a Donna Hansbrough, preferbly well armed.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
So you support and encourage looting and theft. I know you were trying to be funny.

The Lowe's policy is to let police deal with the criminals and protect the employee. There are plenty of cameras including plate readers in the parking lots (some stores).
The employee did not follow the terms of employment and she put herself in danger. It is really a stupid idea to risk your health over a few thousand dollars of tools. What if instead of punching her the guy pulls a knife or gun. Then it is end of story.
The situation occurred in San Francisco. In Calif. it's a contest to see if the government can destroy a city (or a state) economy.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

I worked for Lowes for about a year ......... that was the second most important thing NOT to do ...........stop a thief!!!

Yeah I get it - but damn I would be taking pictures and getting a license plate for sure.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I worked for Lowes for about a year ......... that was the second most important thing NOT to do ...........stop a thief!!!

Yeah I get it - but damn I would be taking pictures and getting a license plate for sure.
Nope, that'll land ya in the unemployment line too. That got one employee fired from a grocery store.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Just enact a law to shoot on-site with a mandated DNR (do not resuscitate) order; Any adult, or adult sized person, that willfully and intentionally shoplifts anything more than a loaf of bread and a jar of peanutbutter. Let them bleed out in the parking lot.
A few unfortunate criminals will die at first. But the word will get around and this looting and high dollar shoplifting will end and save everyone involved lots of money and trouble.
Isn't that what laws are for? To protect the victims and the innocent.

• Love

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
The downward spiral of society at work. This is social engineering folks. What was good is now bad and what was bad is now good. Our politicians support it 100%. At least enough of them that this is the new normal.

Apparently employees should probably hold the door open and wish (alleged of course) criminals a nice day and to come back and steal again soon. Whereas in actuality the criminals should be subject to swift justice in the parking lot. One that requires a pressure washer to clean up.

We can vote with our feet on this issue. Lowe’s ethics area circling the toilet bowl anyhow, at least in terms of customer service and how they treat employees. They should be going the way of Sears by the end of this decade. Although their recent stock priced seems to suggest this wasn’t a big deal to them. That’s too bad.

Evidently Lowe’s hired the lady back. Although rest assured if it wasn’t for this being a major news story (Fox anyhow), I doubt this bell would have been unrung. At a minimum Lowe’s should give this employee a significant financial “we’re sorry”. (Or is it they got caught being stupid while someone that mattered was watching).

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Let us start with outlawing Narcan, and letting the drug addicts find their ultimate high. A lot of this theft is to buy drugs on the street. I don't care who it is when it comes to drug abuse, if they want to be a drug abuser, let them have the drugs that they want for free, and they can pay the ultimate price for their own abuse. I know that many children with a drug problem will not like my thoughts, but as a retired EMT I realize that they start doing drugs voluntarily. It is a life choice they are making, and we can't stop them once they start.